5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air Ride lowering kits

INVISBLE

Reaction score
So I was toying with the idea of buying the lowering links for my air ride to change it from being in the normally "Normal" when driving position to the "Aero" position, therefore being in what you would think would amount to about a 1/2 inch drop when in the entry/exit mode right? Well the issue i see is that although sure you can change out the links and all that but when my truck is in the entry/exit mode, its already sitting on both the front and rear bump stops. So really I cant get any lower than my current entry/exit height anyway without removing the bump stops which seems like a dumb idea at best AND technically that being the case realistically I would be loosing out on my "Aero" mode(being now that my truck would be in it at what it would think was "Normal" height which is really bouncy when on the bumpstops and not designed to be driven at any real speed let alone being useful at highway speeds.

So curious as to know if anyone has actually done this mod and if they removed the bump stops and so on?

djjr50

Reaction score
I thought that when you change the links, you change the height without reducing the distance to the bump stops. You just lower your upper limit for ground clearance.

INVISBLE

Reaction score
Well it has to change all the ride height values for all 5 settings reducing them by about .5 inch which means if it's already sitting on bump stops in entry exit mode then the same will happen to aero mode so what's the point is all I am asking...

Surfingjeff

Reaction score
I have the Airride kit that reduced the rear by 3/4” of a inch and the front by higher by 1.5” but changed it to just 1” . I just did this so not sure the distance to the stops .

Hemi79

Reaction score
This is with stock front links and homemade rear links. Dont have the exact length of rear, but about an 1/16th of an inch longer than front stock links. This is in Entry/Exit mode, there would be no driving here as it is pretty much slammed in the back to axle. I took out the rubber bumpers and i am going to trim them down just to have something that is not metal to metal. When in Aero mode where I drive it, you are 36 1/2" from ground to bottom of fender flare. What I like about this set up is you can use all setting from entry/exit to Off road 2 with no error codes. On aero it is level at 36 1/2", Normal 37 1/2", Off road 1 38 1/2" and 39 1/2" in Off Road 2. I have not towed my boat yet or driven in aero on the highway, but good thing is if its rough or bouncy you just raise to normal. LOVE the look

Attachments

• 241C3D7A-E6D6-43BA-A1B7-77EAB6C3F21C_1_201_a.jpeg
    241C3D7A-E6D6-43BA-A1B7-77EAB6C3F21C_1_201_a.jpeg
    162.4 KB · Views: 257

INVISBLE

Reaction score
This how my truck sits stock in entry/exit mode... its sitting on both the front and rear bump stops as it is. Although it would look cool with less wheel gap, it seems to sit lower lower than others that I have seen.

Attachments

• 20200727_111115.jpg
    20200727_111115.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 241

Hemi79

Reaction score
This how my truck sits stock in entry/exit mode... its sitting on both the front and rear bump stops as it is. Although it would look cool with less wheel gap, it seems to sit lower lower than others that I have seen.
Did you trim your bump stops? I trimmed mine to leave only about 1/2" of rubber below metal holder so that entry exit mode looked "dropped" and I think that is why my truck when hitting big bumps sounded like my axle fell out when it hit. I love the way it looked and the ride wasn't horrible mostly in aero on highway and normal when loaded, even pulled my boat with it. Just trying to figure out what the bang in the back is when I hit a big bump. Almost sounded like shock bottoming out.

Hemi79

Reaction score
This is with stock front links and homemade rear links. Dont have the exact length of rear, but about an 1/16th of an inch longer than front stock links. This is in Entry/Exit mode, there would be no driving here as it is pretty much slammed in the back to axle. I took out the rubber bumpers and i am going to trim them down just to have something that is not metal to metal. When in Aero mode where I drive it, you are 36 1/2" from ground to bottom of fender flare. What I like about this set up is you can use all setting from entry/exit to Off road 2 with no error codes. On aero it is level at 36 1/2", Normal 37 1/2", Off road 1 38 1/2" and 39 1/2" in Off Road 2. I have not towed my boat yet or driven in aero on the highway, but good thing is if its rough or bouncy you just raise to normal. LOVE the look
**UPDATE**
I ended up putting factory links back on due to the truck bottoming out pretty bad a couple of times on the bump stop cups. Yesterday I cut the bump stop cups off and installed Belltech 5924 Bump stops and what a difference. In Aero mode if you hit a big bump you can tell its contacting bump stops but not bad at all. In normal mode it rides great. Entry exit looks great too, more level and of course sitting on bump stops, but driving through a parking lot or very smooth road does okay.

Users who are viewing this thread