5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air blows to the floor when defrost chosen

Ilya23

Reaction score
I have never really noticed before but when I choose a defrost mode air blows to the window and to the floor as well. I decided to chose defrost-floor mode and nothing changed. It's very annoying in summer time when you want to choose air to blow to the window only and your feet get cold as well. I would like to ask here if this is normal behavior for RAM or I need to see a dealer for that? I have only 22k miles and still have warranty left on that. Also, do you think guys it worth to disassembled whole dashboard in order to fix an air issue? (I'm worry if it can bring more issues later if they will disassemble whole dashboard and who knows how they will do it)

Thanks guys!

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The dash in these trucks come out very easily, that said someone out there would mess it up. Heater core replacement takes me about 3 hours from start to finish. Go to the dealer and check a new/used one and see if it operates the same.

Ilya23

Reaction score
Thank you. I made an appointment for service but will go to see other cars to see if they behave the same way

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The dash in these trucks come out very easily, that said someone out there would mess it up. Heater core replacement takes me about 3 hours from start to finish. Go to the dealer and check a new/used one and see if it operates the same.
Wow, that’s crazy. What does the R&R time state?

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine does this as well, but my entire dash has been out before...wonder if they goofed something up when they put it back together.

silver rebel

Reaction score
Just brought my 2021 rebel in for the same thing. Dealer said it was working correctly. Checked another truck on the lot and it does the same thing

tomme12

Reaction score
I still think the Auto setting is goofed up on the 2022 Rebel I have. I dont understand when its set to Heat, it all comes out the floor so then your feet start to sweat. I have to change it manually to blow out dash vents. Cold air always blows out of dash vents, but as soon as it has to shift the air to warmer, it comes out the feet. I would expect Auto setting (and it works in any car/truck I have been in) it balances the air floor to normalize the temp in the cabin.

silver rebel

Reaction score
Just brought my 2021 rebel in for the same thing. Dealer said it was working correctly. Checked another truck on the lot and it does the same thing
Think I figured it out ,,the defrost will operate when the truck is cold and when the ambient temperature in the cab gets to whatever Ram sets it at is reached it will them switch it to blow some through the floor vents. This has been my experience anyway.

Ilya23

Reaction score
Think I figured it out ,,the defrost will operate when the truck is cold and when the ambient temperature in the cab gets to whatever Ram sets it at is reached it will them switch it to blow some through the floor vents. This has been my experience anyway.
Thank you. Good to know that. I had my appointment with a dealer but I canceled, decided I don't want to spent so much time bringing in and leave it there for who knows how long

SkittleRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have noted that as well with my truck, I never gave it much thought as a majority of the air is blowing out of the defrost vents and there will always be some air bleeding through the other vents.

Stryker6040

Reaction score
I have a new 23 that has this same issue with around 4k on the truck. I didnt notice it until recently when I need to use the heat to defrost the windshield from condensation on the cooler mornings we are now having. My legs were getting hot with shorts on while only selected to windshield mode. Seems like its normal or a common issue people are having

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
I have a new 23 that has this same issue with around 4k on the truck. I didnt notice it until recently when I need to use the heat to defrost the windshield from condensation on the cooler mornings we are now having. My legs were getting hot with shorts on while only selected to windshield mode. Seems like its normal or a common issue people are having

I think it's normal. I can try the defrost later but on auto mod, once it switches to any sort of heating, it directs heat to the floor. I believe the premise (and I am not being sarcastic), is heat rises. I think with the defrost it doesn't direct all of the air entirely to the windows. It directs some but the rest goes to the ambient in heat in the cab, from the floor.

AC comes from the dash vents.
Heat comes from the floor.

Mitchlovin

Reaction score
Hello, 1st time on here and 1st time ram big horn owner 2023. 12 inch screen and having issues with front only defrost. While front defrost only is active floor vent also is blowing. I'm able to view servo motor when changing modes, servo motor is working but alway setting floor vent. I'm very annoyed with this function or am I missing something. I talked with dealer and they stated this is normal. Any one else noticing this and just as frustrated as I am.

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It is normal, I believe. I have found that occasionally mine will direct air to the windshield only, but generally it is both. I agree, it is sometime annoying, not sure why the system would be designed that way.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hello, 1st time on here and 1st time ram big horn owner 2023. 12 inch screen and having issues with front only defrost. While front defrost only is active floor vent also is blowing. I'm able to view servo motor when changing modes, servo motor is working but alway setting floor vent. I'm very annoyed with this function or am I missing something. I talked with dealer and they stated this is normal. Any one else noticing this and just as frustrated as I am.
Merged your thread with another one that already covered this issue. Feel free to scroll up to read previous responses

jaymo1500

Reaction score
Hey guys I may have something to add here. I have a 2022 Ram and it has been to the dealership 3 times to diagnose the no defrost issue. Specifically I demonstrated that when selecting front defrost only mode the air would blow out of the floor vents and only come out of the centre of the defrost vents. Didn't matter which speed the fan was or cycling through the other zones. Defrost wouldn't work properly.

I may have a solution or at least something to try. I noticed that SOMETIMES the defrost would work normally or at least it had intermittently worked, but I couldnt figure out what the common denominator was. But today I noticed it was working and the temperature was full hot. All air coming from the defrost and side window vents and nothing to the floor. I then lowered the temperature and noticed the air started coming out the floor vents!!

I have since determined, in my case anyways, that the full defrost mode will only work if at least one side of the temperature slider is full hot. Sync mode was the same. It would only go full defrost if the temperature is full hot.

I get why I couldn't get it to work other times is because usually it's in auto mode set at 21 degrees. And when switching to defrost mode I wouldn't normally change the temperature as well, It's usually blowing hot enough air in the winter. But it seemed to be consistent so far. Time will tell on more trips but it's the only thing that I've found to be repeatable and makes sense why I wouldn't have figured this out much sooner.

Put er on full hot and let me know if that doesn't do the trick.

Jason.

Users who are viewing this thread