5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air bags and Hellwig?

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sorry if I missed this somewhere...

Planning on adding Timber Grove air bags, and was wanting to do the Hellwig bar even before I decided to do bags. Just curious if anyone has both. Do the bags help and the Hellwig is not needed, or possibly not a good combo?

This is for my 22 Rebel, no factory air.

Thanks...

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Think I'm going to go with Airlift 1000 and Hellwig. Don't have any plans of lifting the rear. Might do a front level and 35's or just spacers and 285's or 295's if they'll fit. Truck is already capable of going most of the places I'll take it.

Goldsy

Reaction score
I can’t speak for after market airbags, but I have the hellwig on mine with the Factory air ride, and it certainly made a difference in the handling.

Attachments

• E5F1BC43-8DC4-4A76-9785-DD7BF85C4A3A.jpeg
    E5F1BC43-8DC4-4A76-9785-DD7BF85C4A3A.jpeg
    256.1 KB · Views: 23

OBX_Rebel

Reaction score
I have both, and they both made a positive difference on my 2019 Rebel...different positive differences though. The AirLift 1000HD helped with the squat when towing heavy loads. The Hellwig helped with the rear end sway under load and without it. The Rebels are a little loose in the rear, as they are setup a little more for offroad use. The Hellwig helped a lot with that...keeps the truck more planted with less roll. I am a soft sand beach driver and the Hellwig has not hindered this type of driving at all, but it definitely makes it feel better on the road. If you are not towing or carrying heavy loads, try the Hellwig first. If you are, get them both and you wont regret it. If you are a veteran, you may be able to get them via the military exchange system a bit cheaper. I saved over $100 ordering them that way. You may also see some writeups that the Hellwig mounting holes may be out of round and may need to be drilled a little to fit. Mine were perfectly round, so I didn't experience this.

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thank you very much. I tow a small camper that is under the recommended weight for a WDH. I towed last weekend with just the separate sway control and it handled fine, so just need to correct the squat. I ran bags and WDH on a previous Frontier and it worked great. I like the bags because they help with hauling not just towing. I haven't seen what 200lbs of bikes/rack does yet, but it will squat the wife's TJ, and did some my Frontier.

I have noticed the sway and read up a lot on the Hellwig. I definitely think it will work for me. I'm not doing any rock crawling or major flexing. I was just afraid there might be some unforseen conflict between the two.

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve has the airlifts and hellwig for about 8 months now I and love the setup, truck handles great towing and empty, my only gripe with the setup would be the ride, it is certainly stiffer even at 5psi compared to stock but my truck is on Maxtrac lowering springs so that probably doesn’t help.

OBX_Rebel

Reaction score
Belvedere - Even though the small camper doesn't need WDH, you may want to consider one anyway. I tow a lot of stuff, including a small camper (single axle Wolf Pup) from time to time. While it doesn't need one like my larger Sunset Trail camper does, it really tows a lot smoother with one. I have it setup with a BlueOx Sway Pro and it levels the truck squat with just the WDH. I still put 20 psi in the air bags though when towing light stuff.

Nsleone - I forgot to lower the pressure once after a heavy tow and I thought I was riding in a 3500. I try not to make that mistake often. I notice the firmer with 5 psi as well, but just a little. I have a friend with a similar truck with Timbrens on his. He likes them towing, but hates them when going over the beach. When his suspension bounces going over ruts in the sand, he claims the impact from the Timbrens is just too harsh.

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm not getting rid of the WDH and will give it a try again once the bags and Hellwig are on. As I mentioned above belt and suspenders worked great on my Nissan.

I too once forgot to drop pressure in the bags... 😵‍💫

Users who are viewing this thread