5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aftermarket wheel spare tire hanger adapter?

Rambler

Reaction score
After ordering a spare tire/wheel to match the four on my 2019 1500 Limited, I was advised that a modification to the hangar would be necessary to prevent damage to the new wheel. Apparently my intent to have a matching spare is a luxury most owners don't opt for. It isn't the fit of the tire that's the issue. I replaced with 275/60R20, so 33" diameter is within limits of spare tire well. It makes sense to me that a softer alloy could be damaged more easily than the stock steel wheel, so I am securing a center ring to reduce opening diameter and a spacer to protect the wheel, but before installing, I'm looking for feedback from anyone who has a better solution.

AV8OR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Perhaps dip each end in vinyl plastic dip for your tools and after it drys add two inch id heat shrink tube over each end.

Another idea would be before you heat shrink put a 3” long x 1/2” wide x 1/8” thick strip of aluminum so your aluminum rim is grinding into something besides steel.

Once the winch is tightened it should hold the sacrificial aluminum strip in place.

Every time you remove your spare you might have to redo the entire assembly.

Do you mind if I ask what did you pay for your rim?

AJB-74

Reaction score
What did you do to prevent someone from walking up lowering the tire and taking it? My 22 doesn't have any security for the spare.
Still thinking on this one … but do find it interesting that Ram doesn’t think the spare needs to be locked to the vehicle 🤷‍♂️

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Still thinking on this one … but do find it interesting that Ram doesn’t think the spare needs to be locked to the vehicle 🤷‍♂️
I guess because they give us a crap spare not worth anything.
I had an old silverado tire with half thread left and I had the local tire shop throw it on the rim for me and throw out the joke of a rubber it comes with. At least now I have a spare I can really drive on even if it's a different rim and looks like painted crap and a different rim size. You would think with how expensive these trucks are ram wouldn't jip us.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
An alternative could just be a cheap bicycle cable lock from walmart. It won’t stop everyone from stealing it, but neither will that Mopar part.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
My Silverado had a lock inside the hole where you would put the removal tool without putting on my trucks key and turning it the metal would stay open and you would be unable to lower the tire.

How is a loose socket going to secure the tire, or even a bicycle lock what??? Couldn't I just put a magnet or something sticky in there and yank the lock out? It's not a lock it's just something in the way of turning it properly based on all the pictures I see right?

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My Silverado had a lock inside the hole where you would put the removal tool without putting on my trucks key and turning it the metal would stay open and you would be unable to lower the tire.

How is a loose socket going to secure the tire, or even a bicycle lock what??? Couldn't I just put a magnet or something sticky in there and yank the lock out? It's not a lock it's just something in the way of turning it properly based on all the pictures I see right?
You seriously can’t imagine how a cable lock could secure something?

Deebojr

Reaction score
Hey if you dont mind me asking does your spacer shifts around? I think i may be going this route as well
Where did you get your spacers from?? I want to do the exact same thing.

Users who are viewing this thread