5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aftermarket amps

twk62390

Reaction score
What’s everyone’s best recommendation for using a plug and play processor to wire aftermarket amps. I’m looking at the Rockford dsp1 and axxess am dsp. Has anyone used either? Or is there better out there. I’ve used the lc7i in the past but don’t want to cut any wires

RichInMN

Reaction score
I'm going to give the Dayton Audio DSP-408 a try in combination with a PAC wiring harness when I do a full install on mine - however I have the base 6 speaker system which I think is less complicated for this type of thing.

twk62390

Reaction score
I’ll have to look into that. I have the alpine 9 speaker system in mine

Hockeygod1225

Reaction score
What’s everyone’s best recommendation for using a plug and play processor to wire aftermarket amps. I’m looking at the Rockford dsp1 and axxess am dsp. Has anyone used either? Or is there better out there. I’ve used the lc7i in the past but don’t want to cut any wires

Several of us are using this unit from pac.
Model AP4-CH41. It is plug and play and delivers a flat signal pre factory processing.

wildh24

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Several of us are using this unit from pac.
Model AP4-CH41. It is plug and play and delivers a flat signal pre factory processing.
Where do the chimes come from? Are they feed into the uconnect system and run easily through the PAC AMPPro?

Hockeygod1225

Reaction score
Where do the chimes come from? Are they feed into the uconnect system and run easily through the PAC AMPPro?
Yes all chimes still work and noise canceling still works. They also sell a plug n play harness to route all your aftermarket amplifier signals to the factory speaker locations.

wildh24

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks. Doubt I'll do anything but this is good to know.

Ram-bunctious

Reaction score
Yes all chimes still work and noise canceling still works. They also sell a plug n play harness to route all your aftermarket amplifier signals to the factory speaker locations.
Just picked up my 2019 Ram a week ago, and I'm looking at using the amppro to add a sub, did you upgrade your amp for your mids and highs also ?

Hockeygod1225

Reaction score
No I didn't upgrade anything but the sub. Pac sells a plug and play harness that can help wire all speakers if you plan on doing more than the sub. I have a 5 channel kenwood I have been thinking about adding in as well.

chithead

Reaction score
I'm curious to try out the AmpPro too - had the JL Audio FiX 86 and TwK D8 in our 2016 Challenger, and the Rockford Fosgate DSR1 in our 2014 Grand Cherokee - wasn't super impressed with the sound output through the FiX 86 and D8, but the JL had super easy software. The DSR1 was nice because you could tune from your phone, but that's about it. That thing still has some bugs that need sorted out.

Definitely ready to jump on the AmpPro band wagon due to the success some of my other friends have had with their UConnect 8.4" and it.

Punderwo

Reaction score
According to crutchfield, this does not work with 12" hk systems. Is that correct?

Ram-bunctious

Reaction score
Working absolutely fine for me.

What Sub/size did you go with, and Amp for the sub ? Do you have any photos posted ?? I would love to see your set up. I’m making an appointment next week to get the amp pro installed. I spoke with JL Audio via email and he said they are working on a box for the new body style and should be available by the end of the year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hockeygod1225

Reaction score
What Sub/size did you go with, and Amp for the sub ? Do you have any photos posted ?? I would love to see your set up. I’m making an appointment next week to get the amp pro installed. I spoke with JL Audio via email and he said they are working on a box for the new body style and should be available by the end of the year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I kind of went overkill. I put in a fox acoustic dual ported 10 box with 2 jlw6v3 subs and a hertz ml power 1.1000 watt rms amp. I will try taking some pictures for you.

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was using a Rockford Fosgate P300-8P which just barely fits under the passenger side rear seat, but it presses into the underside of the seat preventing easy recline and taking up all the storage on that side. Sounded good, but not a fan of the downsides, so I'm trying out something a bit crazy. I'm now using a Kicker CX400 amp hooked up to the factory sub. Why? To bypass the absolutely garbage bass boost done by the factory amp (seriously, whoever programmed the factory amp for the sub needs fired). Only done a little bit of listening so far, but combined with replacing all four 6x9s with Infinity 9620CXs, the bass output overall is decent. Might be worth sticking with to keep the functionality of under-seat storage.

Edit: disregard below, turns out letting the truck just sit... fixed itself.

PAC has just released a revision 2 of the AP4-CH41 which works with unamplified (base) systems. That is irrelevant since I have HK, but it may be causing me an issue... not sure if anyone else has gotten a new unit yet. None of my cameras are working since hooking up the unit. Not sure if it's firmware related (don't see how it would be unless the PAC somehow affects the info going into the headunit), or there's an issue with the wiring harness. So far as I can tell everything else is working. I tried unhooking everything behind the screen and plugging it all back together, as well as a few battery terminal resets and have had no luck... tech support is going to talk to engineering tomorrow. I may hook the stock harness back up to see if it works. Just annoying because I wrapped everything in felt tape to prevent vibrations/rattles, and the more I take the screen our the more afraid I am of breaking clips, etc.

Last edited:

Hackmunch

Reaction score
lol i agree with you about the engineers who set up these crossover points and eq settings in these factor amps. once you take that out of the equation these factory headunits are very impressive sounding. the noise floor is so low, its like a black hole.

rah6887

Reaction score
Question for all who have dealt with this...

I have the base 6 speakers system, I just purchased the PAC ANC-CH01 harness for $30. I have a basic LOC (rockford fosgate), is this all I will need or do I also need to get the AP4-CH41 r.2 ?
All I want to do is add a mono amp and sub.

Users who are viewing this thread