5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

After lift question

JMartin

Reaction score
I had a 3.5 front 2.5 rear lift installed on my 19 big horn. Came with UCAs etc. When i turn to either direction entirely, that last little bit of turn to the steering wheel the front end drops slightly. Enough to feel and see. I can't visually see anything wrong but cant imagine this is normal. It resembles the feeling of a dip in the road or something. Difficult to explain. Thanks in advance for any help

JMartin

Reaction score

Nickv1214

Reaction score
Did you get a alignment after the lift ? If so... make sure tie rods are tight , ball joints are tight end links are tight . Really not much to the lift

JMartin

Reaction score
Yes got an alignment. Everything seems normal with the exception of the weird steering dip at full turn.

Nickv1214

Reaction score
Yes got an alignment. Everything seems normal with the exception of the weird steering dip at full turn.
Check the tie rods , ball joints , end links . Make sure everything is tight

myles

Reaction score
I had a 3.5 front 2.5 rear lift installed on my 19 big horn. Came with UCAs etc. When i turn to either direction entirely, that last little bit of turn to the steering wheel the front end drops slightly. Enough to feel and see. I can't visually see anything wrong but cant imagine this is normal. It resembles the feeling of a dip in the road or something. Difficult to explain. Thanks in advance for any help
my 15' GMC did this when i put a 3.5" lift on it. Didn't seem to affect anything, and it aligned just fine. My best guess is that maxing out the arms changes geometry at full droop that the lower arms or tie rods aren't really designed for. Never did any real off roading in that truck and it was fine, so i would guess as long as you dont do any hard off roading you will be fine.

Nickv1214

Reaction score
my 15' GMC did this when i put a 3.5" lift on it. Didn't seem to affect anything, and it aligned just fine. My best guess is that maxing out the arms changes geometry at full droop that the lower arms or tie rods aren't really designed for. Never did any real off roading in that truck and it was fine, so i would guess as long as you dont do any hard off roading you will be fine.
I have the 3.5” on my 19 north edition and my kit doesn’t do any of this

BiGJZ74

Reaction score
What size wheel and tire are you running, I read another post a while back that had a similar issue and there was contact with the control arms at full turn...

Last edited:

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is not unusual after a suspension lift. I also have 3.5" lift in front and 2" in the rear and mine does the same thing. It is because your lower control arm is now hitting the nub on top of the steering stop because you changed the angle of it (See picture below) not a big deal. Only way to stop this from happening is to grind down that nub it's hitting. Hope this makes sense.
4B87A098-F1D5-4862-9EAB-7DD1E989B23A~2.jpeg

JMartin

Reaction score
Late getting to the responses. Gonna check it out in the am. Thanks guys. Ill update what i find!

Krootz

Reaction score
Well damn. Guess I’ll rethink my lift options

robertsws

Reaction score
This is not unusual after a suspension lift. I also have 3.5" lift in front and 2" in the rear and mine does the same thing. It is because your lower control arm is now hitting the nub on top of the steering stop because you changed the angle of it (See picture below) not a big deal. Only way to stop this from happening is to grind down that nub it's hitting. Hope this makes sense.
View attachment 59709

Thanks for this. I just lifted mine and got this result. I was thinking of grinding a little to eliminate this happening, but ultimately am only concerned about any stress it is causing when it hits. Did you grind yours down? or just leave it? and if you just left it, have you noticed any negative consequences to doing so?

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for this. I just lifted mine and got this result. I was thinking of grinding a little to eliminate this happening, but ultimately am only concerned about any stress it is causing when it hits. Did you grind yours down? or just leave it? and if you just left it, have you noticed any negative consequences to doing so?
I didn't grind mine down but my buddy did and the only difference is he has no suspension drop off (slight dip) in the front at full lock. No ill effects with leaving it or grinding them down.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Stupid question, but does anyone know what purpose these "horns" serve? I personally don't see how grinding them off would cause any problems, so I was wondering why they exist in the first place. Maybe to keep your suspension "locked" from up/down movement when you're at full wheel lock (to prevent rubbing)? Like if you're doing donuts at 50 mph.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have a 4" BDS and there is no dip or change in anything lock to lock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/