5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Addressing Rock Chips Prior to PPF

Grouper

Reaction score
I did a 900+ mile fly 'n drive to purchase my 2021 Laramie Sport. By the time I made it home, I'd already acquired a few pinhead rock chips on the front bumper/fascia.

I've made an appointment for PPF. I obviously have no interest in having the bumper repainted on a four week old truck with 1500 miles on the clock. The gentlemen at the PPF shop made it clear they are not paint and body guys and suggested it would likely be best to accept the chips and cover them with PPF.

While I did buy the OE touch-up paint stick, I seriously doubt I'd be able to make a passable repair myself.

I assume I just need to get over it and accept the imperfections but before throwing in the towel, I was curious if anyone has any experience or suggestions regarding simple, successful rock chip repairs prior to applying PPF?

Thanks.

Grouper

Reaction score
I had a local body shop treat the chips with the touch-up pen. I figure he had a better shot at doing a good job than I could.

The touch-ups are not invisible but it looks better than the chips. Now I just need to make it another week without picking up more chips prior to the PPF appointment.

Neil McCauley

Reaction score
Love that..."whoa now, we are not a body shop!" and then "just accept it."

Grouper

Reaction score
Love that..."whoa now, we are not a body shop!" and then "just accept it."

His point is fair. Their business is applying PPF (and I think ceramic coating as well). They don't do paint or body work. Asking them to "try" to do passable paint touch up and expecting good results is tantamount to going to a body shop and asking them to apply PPF. It's not what they do.

Insofar as his suggestion to accept the bumper as it is, that's fair as well. There's only one way to properly repair the paint chips and that is to completely paint the bumper. The chips are minor and the truck is a month old. I'm not interested in the cost and inconvenience of painting the entire bumper to correct a few chips.

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Had this exact scenario on my 2019 bighorn. I went 5k miles with a painted bumper without PPF, had a bunch of rock chips and also a deep scratch from someone backing into my truck. I gave the touch up pen to my PPF shop and they did a decent job of covering up the rock chips, the scratch was a different story as it was down to bare metal and should've required a whole paint job to properly fix. After the rock chips were touched up and covered in PPF I couldn't even find them. Possible they were easily covered up because it was a black truck.

Users who are viewing this thread