5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding Toggle Switch

ktulu

Reaction score
If this is a question that has already been asked, then I apologize, but I did not return any search results regarding this, and if in the wrong section, my apologies

I have a 4x4 Bighorn without the adjustable suspension, and I am looking at running a light bar, but instead of having another switch run, is there a way that we can replace/add another switch where the adjustable suspension switch is? I am looking to add the trailer brake control as well, and that seems easy enough, but there would be the spot where the suspension control would be, and is there a way to add a functional switch there to control the light bar? I understand that I would have to replace the entire unit, but if I did, would this work, having the "empty" spot? If this sounds dumb, I had an F250 where I could add this, and just wondering if anyone knows if this is possible. Thanks for any info/suggestions

TruckCapture.PNG

Jordan2929

Reaction score
I've had the dash apart and remember the switches all being integrated into a module. Doubt you'd be able to buy a factory switch and add it. You could check it out yourself, There's two bolts on the top by the cigarette lighter and just pull straight out.

jamesfg

Reaction score
@jordan2929 is right. Your gonna have to wait for either FCA or the aftermarket to offer something to add buttons.

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If this is a question that has already been asked, then I apologize, but I did not return any search results regarding this, and if in the wrong section, my apologies

I have a 4x4 Bighorn without the adjustable suspension, and I am looking at running a light bar, but instead of having another switch run, is there a way that we can replace/add another switch where the adjustable suspension switch is? I am looking to add the trailer brake control as well, and that seems easy enough, but there would be the spot where the suspension control would be, and is there a way to add a functional switch there to control the light bar? I understand that I would have to replace the entire unit, but if I did, would this work, having the "empty" spot? If this sounds dumb, I had an F250 where I could add this, and just wondering if anyone knows if this is possible. Thanks for any info/suggestions

View attachment 7967
If you got bucket seats and just don't want to see another switch the best place to put it is in the map pocket of the center console. I don't think you can get just the lever for it to match the others and stick it in there and attach it to a different switch but that would be super clean. I was looking at it thinking the exact same thing as you, I'd like to add a light bar to the bumper and have that location be the on off control. Mine looks just like the picture but instead of the switch lever and black plastic end It is one big black plastic piece but the slot is there for a switch lever to pass through. To keep it really factory you could use a switch that spring returns to center and use a dc latching relay the tricky party is the matching lever.

jamesfg

Reaction score
#1 quasi plug for Spod.com
#2 it ain't cheap
#3 your gonna be hacking up your headliner
#4 the finished product mounted on the headliner to me looks darn near OEM.
Now, if your good with the above the Spod controller is the freaking bizness. One power wire, no additional fuses or relays needed everything is circuited inside the brain. Just run your positive and negative from the brain to the battery. Run your positive and negative from your light right to the accompanying number inside the brain to coorespond with the control pod. Best of all you can set each button to alter the light output and ability to flash each individual attached light you designate.
20180901_120221.jpg 20180901_122421.jpg 20180901_151205.jpg

ktulu

Reaction score
billet1500.....good thought about just running into console. I do have the bucket seats, and like you, I am wanting to run a light bar. Just wanted the switch to be as accessible as possible. And mine is like yours, I do NOT have that button that is circled, I pulled that screenshot and circled it to show where I would want to add it. But I do not think it would be possible.

Jamesfg.....that spod looks great, just not sure I want to spend that much money on it, when there are other places in my truck I could put that money right now

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
billet1500.....good thought about just running into console. I do have the bucket seats, and like you, I am wanting to run a light bar. Just wanted the switch to be as accessible as possible. And mine is like yours, I do NOT have that button that is circled, I pulled that screenshot and circled it to show where I would want to add it. But I do not think it would be possible.

Jamesfg.....that spod looks great, just not sure I want to spend that much money on it, when there are other places in my truck I could put that money right now
Right inside the front of the map pocket on the vertical portion there should be plenty of room for a switch, Easy to get to, you can't see it and don't have to worry about accidentally bumping it with your knee or anything else. Cheapest and easiest option.

jamesfg

Reaction score

Go check out their website they have other options and I know John runs black Friday sales, just follow them on FB. I'm not by any way electrical smart like Nikolai Tesla but Spod's products make electrical wiring beyond simple and guaranteed you won't turn your truck into a BBQ.

Tex_Ram

Reaction score
#1 quasi plug for Spod.com
#2 it ain't cheap
#3 your gonna be hacking up your headliner
#4 the finished product mounted on the headliner to me looks darn near OEM.
Now, if your good with the above the Spod controller is the freaking bizness. One power wire, no additional fuses or relays needed everything is circuited inside the brain. Just run your positive and negative from the brain to the battery. Run your positive and negative from your light right to the accompanying number inside the brain to coorespond with the control pod. Best of all you can set each button to alter the light output and ability to flash each individual attached light you designate.
View attachment 8189 View attachment 8190 View attachment 8191
I know this is an old thread but any pictures/ more info on how you mounted the spod to the headliner?

Users who are viewing this thread