5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding remote start via Phone app?

LIVINtheLIFE

Reaction score
Any new info on this for those of us without the factory NAV/Guardian that want to use their phones to start/lock/unlock? There are many systems out there I’ve come across MyCar, Viper, Drone etc. But are they compatible with the new Rams w/o NAV? A local backyard installer argued with me saying it’s impossible without changing the entire system, starter, etc. He said it’s tons of work, unrealistic, blabbed on about Chrysler’s DC2 module or something like that. I find that hard to believe, I could be wrong but I imagine adding an aftermarket module and reprogramming the factory fob similar to the way DS trucks were done should be possible? Keeping the factory fob would be key in this because of the push button start on most Level 2/Level 1 trucks w/o Nav. Thanks.

2020Big4x4Horn

Reaction score
Not sure from a phone. I have non nav but factory remote start from my fob.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Any new info on this for those of us without the factory NAV/Guardian that want to use their phones to start/lock/unlock? There are many systems out there I’ve come across MyCar, Viper, Drone etc. But are they compatible with the new Rams w/o NAV? A local backyard installer argued with me saying it’s impossible without changing the entire system, starter, etc. He said it’s tons of work, unrealistic, blabbed on about Chrysler’s DC2 module or something like that. I find that hard to believe, I could be wrong but I imagine adding an aftermarket module and reprogramming the factory fob similar to the way DS trucks were done should be possible? Keeping the factory fob would be key in this because of the push button start on most Level 2/Level 1 trucks w/o Nav. Thanks.
Check out fortin Evo. I have installed on a few cars and allows you to remote start with factory fob(pressing lock 3X). They have t-harness available for ram dt which cuts down or eliminates wiring. They also have starting via app option.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

SASK_RT

Reaction score
For clarification...The OP is wondering if it is possible to add the ability to start the truck using an app on your phone. Similar to the Uconnect app that is available from Ram on higher level trims.

Spaz86

Reaction score
Viper is always a solid choice. however you get what you pay for so it's going to be on the expensive side

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

LIVINtheLIFE

Reaction score
I looked into Viper, seems like a solid product but finding a dealer/installer is an issue.

LIVINtheLIFE

Reaction score
For clarification...The OP is wondering if it is possible to add the ability to start the truck using an app on your phone. Similar to the Uconnect app that is available from Ram on higher level trims.
Yes but not necessarily higher trims only. The difference is trucks with NAV, if you have NAV you get UConnect/Sirius Guardian on DT trucks(DS trucks different). Unfortunately with Ram you can still get a Laramie, Sport, etc. without NAV and still lose this ability. Ford/GM have them built in for free, it’s a shame really. So yea I’m wondering if there is an aftermarket one that has the ability to be added.

Btdpi007

Reaction score
I've wanted this function since I bought this truck exactly two years ago. I feel like I was deceived by a name like 'UConnect' would be "connected" (along with the information supplied by the salesperson). I didn't realize until the next day, after purchase, the truck was not connected; therefore, no app remote start. I've gone to the below webpage at least 100 times but have never ended up purchasing. It seems like a straightforward install but I would love to get feedback on the install and real world usage before I purchase.

Spaz86

Reaction score
I looked into Viper, seems like a solid product but finding a dealer/installer is an issue.
Best buy does viper installations. if you go on their website they should show you which dealers do it but definitely check Yelp and other review websites

Olive Green 5.7

Reaction score
Best buy does viper installations. if you go on their website they should show you which dealers do it but definitely check Yelp and other review websites

Would you want a 16 year old kid that gets paid $7.50 an hour and could care less about his job to rip your $30,000 - $40,000+ truck apart to install an alarm system? Not many people would.

Spaz86

Reaction score
Would you want a 16 year old kid that gets paid $7.50 an hour and could care less about his job to rip your $30,000 - $40,000+ truck apart to install an alarm system? Not many people would.
What Bestbuy do you know that has a 16 y.o. working In car audio/installation?
I've had them install items in the last with zero issues, although it sounds like you had a personal bad experience. In that case I would say, don't use them then.
It was simply just a suggestion, and your negative comment was 110% not required.
Would you want some rando person being a troll and making unnecessary comments on your replies? Not many would.

There are many places that install viper equipment, which is why I said search help and such. To each their own and you have to do the research.

FM45

Reaction score
OK boys back on subject... another option is Flashlogic RS-CH13 w/ Car Link add-on, great product at a great price. For everyone's info, Viper or the parent company DEI, is now owned by Audiovox.. so don't get hung up on brand names --- under all the plastic, the technology is the same... With almost 30 years in the business I've installed them all....

-=FM45=-

Spaz86

Reaction score
OK boys back on subject... another option is Flashlogic RS-CH13 w/ Car Link add-on, great product at a great price. For everyone's info, Viper or the parent company DEI, is now owned by Audiovox.. so don't get hung up on brand names --- under all the plastic, the technology is the same... With almost 30 years in the business I've installed them all....

-=FM45=-
Their website is very confusing. How exactly does this system work? What does it entail to install it?

FM45

Reaction score
Installing is straight forward, as long as you have a little skill. The Car Link add-on ,once registered to your vehicle... will give you all functionality from your cell phone... software is on the app store of whatever phone you are using---search for the app CL6 ...
here is some easy reading...

-=FM45=-

Attachments

• CFL-AL(RS)-CH13-[FLCAN]-EN_20200319.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 53
Last edited:

Kazoo

Reaction score
@LIVINtheLIFE, best system would be Compustar Blade system with Drone Mobile add on... Any question hit me up..

Kazoo

Reaction score
Details?

What cha want to know?? Pretty easy install, great reliability, Drone system works great, they are always updating.. Runs on Verizon Network now now AT&T....

RRRAAAAMMMM2020

Reaction score

-=FM45=-
Do the options you listed require a monthly subscription to start the truck remotely via an app?

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Do the options you listed require a monthly subscription to start the truck remotely via an app?
Yes. After installing and using both on multiple vehicles, I would suggest car link over drone mobile. Depending on how many years at a time you pay for, car link is free the first year, and $40 a year after that. Drone mobile is $60 a year. Car link is far more reliable, and the app interface is easier to use, than drone mobile.

Users who are viewing this thread