5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding amplifiers - non Alpine

Vdubbry

Reaction score
Hello all!

I have been searching for info on adding amplifiers to the 8.4 Uconnect system, non-alpine. I just got this 2022 1500, traded my 2013. My 13 had the 8.4 Uconnect and I tied in with a JL Clean sweep and replaced all the door and dash speakers, and ran off a Rockford amp, and also had (2) JL subs in a Fox acoustics box that ran off a Skar 1000.

I can't find any wiring diagrams, and much info on this stock system. There is a box under my drivers seat, I have no idea if it is an amplifier? Any advice or information is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Factory amp is under the seat. There isn't anything official to add an amp. Pac audio makes a piece but it isn't plug n play on the new radio. The adapter should work but needs to be hard wired in and not everyone is a fan of splicing into the wiring. @Jimmy07 was working on something, not sure where he is with that.

Vdubbry

Reaction score
Factory amp is under the seat. There isn't anything official to add an amp. Pac audio makes a piece but it isn't plug n play on the new radio. The adapter should work but needs to be hard wired in and not everyone is a fan of splicing into the wiring. @Jimmy07 was working on something, not sure where he is with that.
Ok thank you. I'm definitely having a tough time finding information on this thing. So under the seat isn't the ANC box I keep reading about? One audio website says if it's silver that it is an ANC box? I can't even find what size door and dash speakers this thing has. It's the non-alpine version.

RichInMN

Reaction score
Ok thank you. I'm definitely having a tough time finding information on this thing. So under the seat isn't the ANC box I keep reading about? One audio website says if it's silver that it is an ANC box? I can't even find what size door and dash speakers this thing has. It's the non-alpine version.
Only the Alpine has a separate "factory amp", so this is incorrect for your application... it is the ANC under the seat; the head unit is amplified internally in the "Base 6". The base 6 is very easy to upgrade compared to the other higher-end systems, just your choice of ANC bypass and a Line Converter or DSP and you're good to go (or amps with high-level inputs). You will need to make sure there is some resistance on your Line converter/DSP/amp (or in-line with your wiring) or the head unit's amplifier will shut off (at least this was true for 2019). You will also want to bypass or unplug the ANC completely (or un-pin the microphone input wires). I used the PAC APH-CH01 for the ANC wiring harness, and the Dayton DSP-408 for line conversion/DSP.

We have 6x9's front and rear doors, and 3.5's in the dash.

I'll attach some docs & pics with more info including a pdf with the full ANC wiring. Good luck.

-Rich

Attachments

• 20190722_131639.jpg
    20190722_131639.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 136
  • 20190723_125825.jpg
    20190723_125825.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 118
  • 20190723_125833.jpg
    20190723_125833.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 119
  • 20190723_175552.jpg
    20190723_175552.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 119
  • 20190723_175649.jpg
    20190723_175649.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 120
  • 20190830_152250.jpg
    20190830_152250.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 132
  • Screenshot_20200105-102024_Opera_01.jpg
    Screenshot_20200105-102024_Opera_01.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 132
  • anc wiring.png
    anc wiring.png
    251.6 KB · Views: 139
  • wiring.pdf
    518.4 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

Vdubbry

Reaction score
Only the Alpine has a separate "factory amp", so this is incorrect for your application... it is the ANC under the seat; the head unit is amplified internally in the "Base 6". The base 6 is very easy to upgrade compared to the other higher-end systems, just your choice of ANC bypass and a Line Converter or DSP and you're good to go (or amps with high-level inputs). You will need to make sure there is some resistance on your Line converter/DSP/amp (or in-line with your wiring) or the head unit's amplifier will shut off (at least this was true for 2019). You will also want to bypass or unplug the ANC completely (or un-pin the microphone input wires). I used the PAC APH-CH01 for the ANC wiring harness, and the Dayton DSP-408 for line conversion/DSP.

I'll attach some docs & pics with more info including a pdf with the full ANC wiring. Good luck.

-Rich
Thanks so much! This is just what I was looking for. I want to amplify the doors as well, I found the PAC AP4-CH41 R2 and the ANC bypass harness. Should that do the trick? This way it seems I can just run speaker wires right to the amplifier from the harness on the PAC AP4 and get the speaker harness adapters for my new speakers. What would I need the line conversion/DSP for, it seems the AP4 has all the pre-outs I need, or is this just a different way of tying in to the system?

Where did you mount your amplifiers? In my 13 I had one under the drivers and one under passenger but that ANC box is in the way, maybe the 4channel under the passenger seat and then figure out a way to get the Sub amp, behind or on the Fox box?

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score

-Rich
Completely read over the non-alpine part. Good catch and good info. :)

RichInMN

Reaction score
Thanks so much! This is just what I was looking for. I want to amplify the doors as well, I found the PAC AP4-CH41 R2 and the ANC bypass harness. Should that do the trick? This way it seems I can just run speaker wires right to the amplifier from the harness on the PAC AP4 and get the speaker harness adapters for my new speakers. What would I need the line conversion/DSP for, it seems the AP4 has all the pre-outs I need, or is this just a different way of tying in to the system?

Where did you mount your amplifiers? In my 13 I had one under the drivers and one under passenger but that ANC box is in the way, maybe the 4channel under the passenger seat and then figure out a way to get the Sub amp, behind or on the Fox box?
I believe the AmpPro is for preamp integration (ie Alpine amplified systems), I don't think that'll work for the base 6 (but I don't know that much about the unit or whether it has the high-level inputs / Line conversion that's needed).

I re-wired the whole truck as well, little 18 or 20 gauge wiring into the doors wasn't going to cut it! :)

Amps are behind the seat in my case (pics attached).

Attachments

• 20190721_171240_HDR(1).jpg
    20190721_171240_HDR(1).jpg
    234.7 KB · Views: 104
  • 20190729_152354_HDR.jpg
    20190729_152354_HDR.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 105
  • 20190828_135432.jpg
    20190828_135432.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 104

Vdubbry

Reaction score
I believe the AmpPro is for preamp integration (ie Alpine amplified systems), I don't think that'll work for the base 6 (but I don't know that much about the unit or whether it has the high-level inputs / Line conversion that's needed).

I re-wired the whole truck as well, little 18 or 20 gauge wiring into the doors wasn't going to cut it! :)

Wow! Sweet setup!

Yes I read that the AmpPro R2 has a dip switch for non amplified systems, so this seems like the way to go as far as easier install. I just can't find any information on if that also covers the dash speakers.

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Is there room in the connector to get new wire into the door easily?

@Vdubbry , the amp pro gives you front, rear, and sub outputs. Depending on how you're setting things up, you might need a dsp to get the dash covered.

Vdubbry

Reaction score

@Vdubbry , the amp pro gives you front, rear, and sub outputs. Depending on how you're setting things up, you might need a dsp to get the dash covered.
Ok thanks. So I'm not real familiar with a DSP, I guess if the Amp Pro outputs for front include the dash and front door speakers I am ok with just that?

RichInMN

Reaction score

I was able to run 10 gauge to the doors, but not easily. There was a lot of swearing involved, it was one of the worst parts of the entire install! :LOL:

The rubber loom from the body to the door is small and tight in the door jamb, and there are plugs connecting the outside and inside of the inner jamb (which had to be drilled out). It's impressive from an engineering perspective, but a major PITA to retrofit. I think it took me over an hour just to pull the 4 door wires.

Attachments

• 20190723_130242.jpg
    20190723_130242.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 41
  • 20190723_175552.jpg
    20190723_175552.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 41
  • 20190723_175649.jpg
    20190723_175649.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 41

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was able to run 10 gauge to the doors, but not easily. There was a lot of swearing involved, it was one of the worst parts of the entire install! :LOL:

The rubber loom from the body to the door is small and tight in the door jamb, and there are plugs connecting the outside and inside of the inner jamb (which had to be drilled out). It's impressive from an engineering perspective, but a major PITA to retrofit. I think it took me over an hour just to pull the 4 door wires.
Cool, thanks for the pics! I was only going to run 14 or 16, so should be good. :)

Vdubbry

Reaction score

Very cool. Thank you! Did you replace the center channel speaker also? Do the dash speaker covers just come off or you have to get from underneath? The center grill seems to come off but I didn't start prying on the left and right dash yet.

RichInMN

Reaction score
Very cool. Thank you! Did you replace the center channel speaker also? Do the dash speaker covers just come off or you have to get from underneath? The center grill seems to come off but I didn't start prying on the left and right dash yet.
The base 6 system doesn't have dash center even though there's a grill there. The L and R dash grills pop/pry up from above, if I remember correctly they have 2 clips each.

Very easy to run new wire to left dash, but right dash is a PITA, you'll need something to fish with.

Vdubbry

Reaction score
The base 6 system doesn't have dash center even though there's a grill there. The L and R dash grills pop/pry up from above, if I remember correctly they have 2 clips each.

Very easy to run new wire to left dash, but right dash is a PITA, you'll need something to fish with.
Ahh ok, I never popped the center grill up to check it. Ok good to know that I can run wires to the dash speakers. I am guessing if the AMP Pro doesn't activate the dash speakers I could run the dash to the same outputs I run the front door speakers on, but put bass blockers at the dash speakers?

RichInMN

Reaction score
Ahh ok, I never popped the center grill up to check it. Ok good to know that I can run wires to the dash speakers. I am guessing if the AMP Pro doesn't activate the dash speakers I could run the dash to the same outputs I run the front door speakers on, but put bass blockers at the dash speakers?
That's one way to go... personally I run the front and rear doors (8" mids) together on one pair of channels, and the dash on a separate pair of channels - this way I can electronically control distinct cross points & eq slopes by speaker type.

Vdubbry

Reaction score
That's one way to go... personally I run the front and rear doors (8" mids) together on one pair of channels, and the dash on a separate pair of channels - this way I can electronically control distinct cross points & eq slopes by speaker type.
Ok, I hear that. So when you do it that way do you not have Front to Rear fading for the doors?

RichInMN

Reaction score
lol I love it! What 3.5” did you use in the dash?
Well, I put Morel CAT 378's up there; had to grind down the faceplates down to fit properly.

Your choice will have to depend on your listening style, amplification, etc. A lot of folks like the Kickers, the JL's, the Focals, etc. etc. I personally needed a much more high-power application so I went with components.

Users who are viewing this thread