5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Add Nav?

Mad Cow

Reaction score
2022 Laramie with 8.4 uConnect 5 without Nav.

Is it possible to flash the system to add Nav, or is the hardware different?

testcrewman

Reaction score

I have the nav, but don't use it. I never thought I would use Android Auto, but I like using Google Maps for navigation through Android Auto better than the built in nav. Even though I can only use half my 12" screen for Android Auto, I didn't use the full screen for the built in nav, so I didn't lose anything. Not sure the limitation of the screen size for the 8.4" screen, but it's worth a try.

Mad Cow

Reaction score
I have the nav, but don't use it. I never thought I would use Android Auto, but I like using Google Maps for navigation through Android Auto better than the built in nav. Even though I can only use half my 12" screen for Android Auto, I didn't use the full screen for the built in nav, so I didn't lose anything. Not sure the limitation of the screen size for the 8.4" screen, but it's worth a try.
Ya, I purposely ordered the truck without Nav. I have other cars with Nav and CarPlay, and I always end up using the phone rather than the GPS. I was just wondering if there was a way to enable it. I found out after delivery that you lose the voice command function if you don't have Nav. While also completely unnecessary, it would be kind of fun to play with.

20GladRubicon

Reaction score

There’s more to it than just a software flash as the nav radio is HD. Without nav you also lose the ability to access the off-road pages as I found out the hard way.

I had the 8.4 nav radio in my 20 Gladiator. Using wireless car play with Apple Maps seems to work pretty seamlessly for me.

My main complaint are the presets randomly disappearing. It getting old in a hurry!

Fobrnno

Reaction score
I too have the 8.4 non nav and is wondering of a way to get it install. I used Google map but it sucks when your traveling and end up in a area with no data and phone stops working. Would like the factory nav. To be a back up to Google or waze.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Factory NAV? I rather use a paper map or guess and hope for the best than use the factory NAV.

Google maps is vastly superior in every single way, unless of course you somehow don't have phone reception.

If you lose reception, I suggest learning to use the sun's location, stars alignment in the sky or best guesses, either of those are better ways to navigate than the OEM NAV.

In all seriousness, I recommend you buy a cheap Garmin NAV as a back-up in case you lose phone reception. Keep it in your glove box. Much better than spending the money to retrofit NAV to your 8.4 system. Cheaper and better navigation that way.

Wirerat

Reaction score
Google maps has offline maps. Cellular data is a non factor then.

Nels

Reaction score
Ya, I purposely ordered the truck without Nav. I have other cars with Nav and CarPlay, and I always end up using the phone rather than the GPS. I was just wondering if there was a way to enable it. I found out after delivery that you lose the voice command function if you don't have Nav. While also completely unnecessary, it would be kind of fun to play with.
I also have the 8.4 non-Nav. I use android auto a lot. After several months I figured out that we actually do have voice control - have to press AND HOLD the voice button on the steering wheel. Your google assistant will activate.

kzielu

Reaction score
Google maps has offline maps. Cellular data is a non factor then.
And I believe it is smart enough now to download them ahead of time - but if not, can be done manually. Completely non-issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/