5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ADD Bumper and custom fog lights install

U

User_21361

Here is a more detailed update of my install of the Addictive Desert Designs Stealth Fighter bumper.

Here is the finished product:
1635181949291.png

Overall impressions: The bump is rock solid and I love the extra ground clearance. Getting the bumper took FOREVER (18 weeks + 2 weeks for delivery). Time will tell if its worth it. However, I love the look.

For what its worth, I had a buddy with a raptor take a picture of our trucks next to each other and tell me how jealous he was of my setup:

1635182116107.png
Lightbar
I went with a Rough Country light bar. It was cheap enough but still functional that I felt it was good enough. The light is in fac6t functional. The only things I don't like are 1) the light has a little yellow hue at certain angles and 2) The DRLs are silly (I didn't even wire them up). To wire it, I used the Rough country wireless switch. Rough country says it will not work for this light, but with a little bit of know-how, I got it to work. Overall, Im happy with the performance and install. I will probably use it 3-5 times as I don't do a lot of nighttime driving.

Switch
  • Red: Hot
  • White: DRL
  • Blue: Light
Wireless switch
  • Black: Negative
  • White: Positive
  • Blue: Out to Relay
What I had to do was
  • pull Neg from the battery cable
  • Cut the DRL wire off at the relay (since DRL was not needed or wanted).
  • Wire: Neg (white wire below) to Black, Red to Blue, and Blue to White
1635181209405.png

Now I can just use a wireless switch mounted in the cab with no holes to drill. The big caveat here is that I am wired directly to the battery. I do plan on jumping off a fuse so it will only work when the truck is on, but that will be a project for another time.

Install notes:
  • Sensors - Be careful when removing the sensors form the stock bumper. I ended up breaking one of the wires which meant I needed to buy a whole new harness. Annoying but not the end of the world. Also, Make sure you label the wires before you take them off the stock bumper. I ended up hooking them up incorrectly at first which made it seem like the harness was too short. Instead I just did it wrong.
  • Install time: Taking off the stock bumper took about an hour. I had to look up how to remove the tow hooks. I didn't need a hammer like others have mentioned in other forums. Instead, I just used the tow hook itself to bang down on the bolt to break the retention ring. It didn't take a lot of force. Prepping the new bumper took about an hour as well. Back to installing the sensors, I used tape on the outside sense mounts to make sure they were seated correctly (and not generating false positives. Gluing them after the fact was trivial and I had peace of mind that they were oriented correctly. Install took about 30 min. The install was 99% done alone. I did need help positioning the bumper to put the mounting bolts in, but that was it.
  • Skid plate: I had to remove the front most skid plate in order to install the bumper correctly. I tried doing it without removing the plate and ended up scuffing the skid plate mounted on the bumper. I may end up cutting the stock one to try and re-fit it, but I'm not sure its really needed.
Weight: +19.02
  • ADD: +99.12
  • Light: +10.56
  • Tow hooks: -11.64 (5.82x2)
  • Stock Bumper: -70.22
  • Skid Plate: -8.8
Fog Lights
I was really bummed about losing my fog lights. Functionally they are great, but I really like the look of fog lights too. I was able to make customer brackets to add in a pair of Baja Design S2 pods.

1635181718346.png

I made brackets using a Dremel and $10 in parts from Home Depot.

1635181823150.png

Here are the individual parts for clarity:

1635181765302.png

1635181772836.png

1635181783828.png

Here is the wiring harness:
1635181839032.png

And here is the mounted version:
1635181865740.png

The performance is ok, but not great. The aesthetics is exactly what I wanted. I may CNC a new plat to fit in that port in the bumper so I can actually get the full light output.

silverWS6

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thank you so much for this! I'm currently on week 13 of the wait for my bumper 🙄 checked last week and was told it would ship between Nov 5-19.

I guess, I could start ordering lights soon.

silverWS6

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I installed my stock skid plate using the stock bolts. I might go to the hardware store and get some longer bolts though, but these did work fine.

I also got a service front sensors 😒 no idea why, I didn't even unplug the sensors. I was able to remove the sensors from the brackets and move them over with the harness. I'm also 99% sure they are all correctly oriented.

20211112_124257.jpg

U

User_21361

I may bend or trim back the rounded edge of the skid plate to get it back on. Haven’t decided yet. Adding another 10 lbs to the truck doesn’t excite me a ton.

If you are getting a service sensor warning then you likely have a bad connection to one of the sensors. When they were all working but out of position, the warning lights just went on all the time. After getting the new harness, the sensors have worked great. They seem more sensitive than on the stock bumper. Pulling out of my driveway with a steep down hill, they will go off when approach the road surface. It’s a minor annoyance but I’m happy overall with them.

Devilpou

Reaction score
Hi, my ADD bumper will delivery next Monday, and plan to install sometime next two weeks. I'm plan getting and use the RC 40 inch light bar too, so please help me. questions, did you bought the 3inch H light bar with DRL version? How it fit on the bumper? Do you using the light bar bracket come with the light bar? Thank you

silverWS6

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hi, my ADD bumper will delivery next Monday, and plan to install sometime next two weeks. I'm plan getting and use the RC 40 inch light bar too, so please help me. questions, did you bought the 3inch H light bar with DRL version? How it fit on the bumper? Do you using the light bar bracket come with the light bar? Thank you

That's the light bar I have. It fits perfect.

The bumper will come with universal brackets for the light bar.

Install isn't bad at all but you will need some help to pick up the bumper and have someone hold it so you can thread the bolts to put it in place. It's very heavy.

Devilpou

Reaction score

That's the light bar I have. It fits perfect.

The bumper will come with universal brackets for the light bar.

Install isn't bad at all but you will need some help to pick up the bumper and have someone hold it so you can thread the bolts to put it in place. It's very heavy.
Thank you, this the light I'm looking at now, so the bumper already come with bracket, this good, because when I check on the website it is 75$ just for the bracket. I'm planning for the fog lights also

Users who are viewing this thread