5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Active Noise Cancelling question

flameredram

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Just upgraded my 2020 1500 Sport to a 2022 Rebel and installed a new Flowmaster Super 10 cat-back exhaust identical to the one in the old truck. From the outside the new truck sounds every bit as mean as the old one, from the inside however it is extremely muffled, to the point that I had to get under the truck to make sure they installed the right muffler model. Also, I could've sworn that even when stock the '22 Rebel sounded a lot quieter than the stock '20 Sport, though I blamed it on me being accustomed to the louder aftermarket exhaust note.

So my question, in case anyone knows, is - has the ANC system (or some other noise cancellation/sound deadening) become more aggressive between 2020 and 2022 MY? Or between Rebel and non-Rebel trims? Any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Roger_H

Reaction score
Just curious, why do you want it loud in the cabin if it is what you expected outside of the cabin?

I’m assuming you want to hear it better in the cabin, of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MikeyHo808

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The ANC in my 21 Bighorn worked extremely well. Installed a FlowX muffler, couldn’t even hear it in the cabin. Bypassed the ANC to install a sub, and the FlowX drones like a mofo.
Don’t get me wrong, I love how it sounds, but I do miss the quieter ride at times. I just turn up the radio. Positive note…no sleeping at the wheel. It’s too friggin loud.

flameredram

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies - I think the ANC works a little too well, that I can barely hear the V8 rumble out of the Flowmaster with windows up. I am considering purchasing a bypass harness to see if makes it better, the reason I was wondering about ANC is that the exact same exhaust in my 2020 Sport sounded a lot more pronunced on the inside (both trucks have 9-speaker Alpine and 12" Uconnect)

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Roll down yer friggen windows if you wanna hear yer exhaust. :p

I noticed the same type of difference between the 2020 Laramie I used to have and the 2021 Limited I have now. The Limited in stock form is quite a bit quieter than the Laramie was in stock form. I thought maybe there was more insulation in the Limited, but haven't seen any documentation to confirm this. Now you have me wondering if the ANC was updated for the '21 model year.

wsutard1

Reaction score
Well, I think you have proved that the ANC in newer trucks is more aggressive than older. Might also be why newer trucks seem to have the dreaded ANC thump more than older?
Ram also could have changed the internal sound deadening material.
It all comes down to what you want to do about it. Bypass ANC for wicked sound but massive drone or keep ANC enjoy the piece and just know that your truck sounds awesome to people who you pass?

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score

Crotalus

Reaction score

bucolic

Reaction score
Well, it doesn't quiet down the rattle of the Diesel. On acceleration, I can clearly hear the engine loud and clear. At highway speeds, however, the Diesel on the 2022 is quieter than the hemi was on my 2019. Nothing annoying and I like the sound but it isn't canceled out for sure on acceleration.

titan3636

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me how I can see if my ANC has been bypassed somehow by the previous owner? I can hear my exhaust and XT tires hum quite clear in my limited. Have been wondering if it isn’t working because I have a lot of cabin noise. H/K 19 speaker system if that matters

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me how I can see if my ANC has been bypassed somehow by the previous owner? I can hear my exhaust and XT tires hum quite clear in my limited. Have been wondering if it isn’t working because I have a lot of cabin noise. H/K 19 speaker system if that matters
can you verify if your build sheet has
"Active Noise Control System"

run your vin to get your build sheet
put your vin in place of "YOURVINHERE"

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Well, it doesn't quiet down the rattle of the Diesel. On acceleration, I can clearly hear the engine loud and clear. At highway speeds, however, the Diesel on the 2022 is quieter than the hemi was on my 2019. Nothing annoying and I like the sound but it isn't canceled out for sure on acceleration.
ANC only works for sustained noise. Not sharp noises that don't keep going

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I can hear my '21 ED on acceleration, but only if the radio is off or set low. It is quieter than my '19 Hemi was in all cases. I.e. accelerating vs accelerating, or steady vs steady, the ED is quieter. The ED is really quiet. No way I could characterize mine as "loud and clear" ever.

Users who are viewing this thread