5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A little ticked off at the dealer

ShermanOaks

Reaction score
On Saturday I spent the day at the dealership negotiating on a Laramie Crew 4x4 with the black package.

The truck is in transit somewhere in Nevada, en route to SoCal.

They sent me to finance to pay for it, wouldn't take a deposit - I know, odd.

Anyway when walking out the general sales manager says "We will call you when it's here and ready to pick up" and to that I reply "sounds good, please make sure the tank is topped off" and he quickly says "Ram stopped reimbursing us for gas so we no longer do that"

I write a check for 60K plus and they can't fill up the tank?

Is this standard? I am really down on all of the FCA dealerships lately. A lot of runaround and no integrity, jumped through hoops to find an honest dealership.

Obviously, I am going to take my sweet sweet time inspecting it when it arrives and will not drive it off the lot if there are any issues. Thank you to this forum for compiling a detailed delivery check list.

Edit: Dealership is Tuttle-Click

RAM1500_SoCal

Reaction score
Bought mine at a dealer in SoCal (Costa Mesa) and they topped it off before I drove off the lot. Might depend on the dealer you purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ShermanOaks

Reaction score
60k then squabble over $50 of gas?

Get truck. Enjoy it. Done.

I have a company gas card, that's not the issue.

The issue is...have American car companies cut so many corners that they cannot top off a tank on a new vehicle.

I have observed a huge delta between the customer service at Audi and Lexus vs. GMC and Ram. (The net cost of the vehicles being equal)

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My experience mimics yours. The Durango doesn't get topped off but my BMW does. BMW has a better lounge and snacks etc.

However... I'm treated with respect and courtesy at both places with an equal level of service quality. I'd say this is the important part.

If the dealers you visited don't, then they're not right. Keep looking; good dealers, even domestic brands, exist.

79 300

Reaction score
Mine had a full tank when I picked it up. Our dealer always did that as a courtesy.

Al Czervik

Sag A*
Reaction score
Sounds like matter of choice on the part of the dealer to me... Mine had a full tank of gas when I picked it up too. The funny thing is this dealer also gave me the best deal on my RAM and four grand more for my trade than the other two local dealers I shopped.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Mine was full of gas. The dealer also tinted the front windows and did a nitrogen fill at no charge. It wasn’t a particularly good tint job, and these things didn’t cost the dealer much money, but I thought it was a nice gesture. I didn’t request these things; they do this with all new vehicles they sell.

pber1

Reaction score
I would’ve gone to another dealer. I shopped around for a while and found the best deal at a dealership in San Diego! It was EXACTLY what I wanted and it was filled with 33 gallons of gas. Probably Arco gas but it was filled up!

Last edited:

RedRocketZ28

Reaction score
My salesman followed me to the gas station and filled it up for me before I drove it home. Two years ago we bought my wife a new Hyundai Tucson Sport and the dealer filled the tank as well. From what I have seen around here, it's a dealer thing.

Longhorn

Reaction score
I would’ve gone to another dealer. I shopped around for a while and found the best deal at a dealership in San Diego! It was EXACTLY what I wanted and it was filled with 33 gallons of gas. Probably Arco gas but it was filled up!

What dealership?

Jasonml24

Reaction score
I’ve heard of dealers not filling up used cars, but never new ones. While my wife and I were in the finance dept, they prepped our truck and once we were done they had it sitting out front with a full tank of gas all ready to go.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Bought 6 cars, 5 in NJ 1 in NY, all had full tanks of gas. I don't know the state's laws, however in NY dealers can not charge more than $75.00 for doc fee. Do some states require a full tank of gas on sale of new vehicles?

silverbullet

Reaction score
Yea, unfortunately nothing ground-breaking here...Luxury experience is far better than that from RAM or GMC. I wonder if MB tells you, "yea, that mirror is supposed to whistle like that, it's a characteristic of the design."

ortvk

Reaction score
Thats crazy. My salesman drove with me to the gas station and showed me more features. Got out filled it up and we went back to the dealership and i drove off. All of my past vehicles have been filled up before I drove it off the lot!

harleyrae

Reaction score
When I took delivery it had a full tank. Didn't ask, they just did it. This is an outstanding, quality dealership.

grinch72

Reaction score
My dealer not only filled me up when I picked it up but they also filled my tank and detailed my truck after my last service!

RAM999

Reaction score
I had a half tank of gas, but that is because my dealer drove/delivered my truck to me 270 miles away at no additional charge.

Jordan2929

Reaction score
Well they could've lied and said "sure no problem" then never filled it up. And I'm sure ram doesn't reimburse them for fill-ups, if they spend $50-$75 filling up every car and truck it gets expensive. So IMO I don't think that qualifies them as a bad dealer.

Aquitaine

Reaction score
When we ordered ours the salesmsan made a point of telling us that FCA is too cheap to pay for gas and pointed it out on their invoice.

Every destination charge I've seen from vehicles coming half a world away is 1/2 what FCA charges.

...and yet, here we all are, paying it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online