5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A little Before and After under the hood

JackWaggon

Reaction score
The other day I decided to finally install some items I received for Christmas. Added a UPR oil catch can, and a AEM drop in filter. Also cleaned up the engine bay a little bit. Not overly sure that the catch can is going to change much, but it sure does look pretty.

Attachments

• Before.jpg
    Before.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 339
  • After.jpg
    After.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 340

JackWaggon

Reaction score
How do you like the AEM filter?
So far so good. Honestly I don't drive all that much per day so I probably won't notice much in the fuel mileage. I feel like it sounds a little more aggressive, but that could all be in my head for all I know. Also for $40 its a fun, easy upgrade. My only beef is some wack *** construction of the filter.

Attachments

• air filter.jpg
    air filter.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 83

JackWaggon

Reaction score
did you pull your carbon filter at the same time when you installed the new one?
I did not. I have done a little bit of research on removing the carbon filter and found no noticeable gains. Folks on this site have some opinions and I found this youtube video that does more of the scientific side of the argument. carbon filter
I know its being tested on a 4 banger, but I believe the theory still applies.

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The other day I decided to finally install some items I received for Christmas. Added a UPR oil catch can, and a AEM drop in filter. Also cleaned up the engine bay a little bit. Not overly sure that the catch can is going to change much, but it sure does look pretty.
Does look good

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
So far so good. Honestly I don't drive all that much per day so I probably won't notice much in the fuel mileage. I feel like it sounds a little more aggressive, but that could all be in my head for all I know. Also for $40 its a fun, easy upgrade. My only beef is some wack *** construction of the filter.
That will have zero effect on the performance of the filter. I have one too and VERY happy with the quality and performance. Had one on my 2019 too!

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I did not. I have done a little bit of research on removing the carbon filter and found no noticeable gains. Folks on this site have some opinions and I found this youtube video that does more of the scientific side of the argument. carbon filter
I know its being tested on a 4 banger, but I believe the theory still applies.
The carbon filter is HIGHLY restrictive. I can feel the difference having removed it. It is thick and dense and needs to go.

See post 14,008

JackWaggon

Reaction score
The carbon filter is HIGHLY restrictive. I can feel the difference having removed it. It is thick and dense and needs to go.

See post 14,008

Well shoot I might just give it a try. Its not like I will be out any money. I assume as long as you are outside of California it will still pass inspection?

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Well shoot I might just give it a try. Its not like I will be out any money. I assume as long as you are outside of California it will still pass inspection?
May still pass even a CA inspection unless they take your intake apart and look for it.

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have had the AEM for 5 years on my previous one and this one and there is no MPG gain ;)

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have had the AEM for 5 years on my previous one and this one and there is no MPG gain ;)
I would never anticipate any gains in MPG or any real performance increases. I just look at it as letting the engine breathe easier. Anyone that installs any kind of CAI expecting anything real to happen is just kidding themselves.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
i
I would never anticipate any gains in MPG or any real performance increases. I just look at it as letting the engine breathe easier. Anyone that installs any kind of CAI expecting anything real to happen is just kidding themselves.
^^^ This ^^^

Users who are viewing this thread