5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A few possible mods, which to do??

RedWhite&PatriotBlue

Reaction score
I picked up my RAM at the end of 2020, and finally sold one of my older cars and have cash burning a hole in my pocket. I've got a few mods in mind, but what should I tackle first? Each one runs about $1000-1500 depending, except for the sway bar. I am also open to suggestions here. I've already got the windows tinted, bed liner, and bed cover taken care of.

In no particular order:
1) Mopar (or AMP) power boards
2) Borla S-Type Exhaust
3) Mopar 2-inch lift
4) Hellwig Rear Sway Bar
4) Off road tires
5) Wheels

86grand

Reaction score
I picked up my RAM at the end of 2020, and finally sold one of my older cars and have cash burning a hole in my pocket. I've got a few mods in mind, but what should I tackle first? Each one runs about $1000-1500 depending, except for the sway bar. I am also open to suggestions here. I've already got the windows tinted, bed liner, and bed cover taken care of.

In no particular order:
1) Mopar (or AMP) power boards
2) Borla S-Type Exhaust
3) Mopar 2-inch lift
4) Hellwig Rear Sway Bar
4) Off road tires
5) Wheels
If you have kids, the boards would be the first thing to do. It makes it so much easier for my 6 yo to get in and out alone. Now, if she just buckled her own seatbelt, life would be great. If not, I would do exhaust, since they are pretty quiet from the factory

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
From that list do the sway bar first, installs in 45 minutes and totally transforms the way the truck handles

Ram Dude

Reaction score
Looks like a good list to me...Be careful with order of mods, specifically lift, wheels, and tires because if you have even an inkling now of going higher than 2” lift, I highly recommend you go big the first time...Speaking from experience of course 😂.

Waitforit0045

Reaction score
I wish my list was that small. Once you start modding, it doesn't stop

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

RickWaz

Reaction score
Sway bar then running boards OR running boards then sway bar. I have both (Mopar running boards) and both are great. Not sure how the AMP running boards compare. Good luck!

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would do Bilstein shocks/struts followed closely by an exhaust.

My order so far was tint > bedcover > colored mirror caps > swaybar > Bilstein 5100's. The swaybar is noticeable, but not as transformative as people on here claim it to be. The Bilsteins made a much bigger difference. Alittle stiffer than I was hoping, but handles much better and got rid of that floaty old Cadillac feeling

Scram1500

Reaction score

My order so far was tint > bedcover > colored mirror caps > swaybar > Bilstein 5100's. The swaybar is noticeable, but not as transformative as people on here claim it to be. The Bilsteins made a much bigger difference. Alittle stiffer than I was hoping, but handles much better and got rid of that floaty old Cadillac feeling
I will say I added Bilsteins to the rear (4600 series for non lifted) and they work really well with the Hellwig. In my opinion the OEM shocks are too soft to deal with the stiffer bar

RedWhite&PatriotBlue

Reaction score
From that list do the sway bar first, installs in 45 minutes and totally transforms the way the truck handles
I did a sway bar on my Jeep Grand Cherokee, it was night and day! I want to take the RAM on a nearby off ramp. test out the current sway bar one more time. Did you go with the Hellwig or something else?

RedWhite&PatriotBlue

Reaction score
If you have kids, the boards would be the first thing to do. It makes it so much easier for my 6 yo to get in and out alone. Now, if she just buckled her own seatbelt, life would be great. If not, I would do exhaust, since they are pretty quiet from the factory
My kid isn't walking yet, but great point. My wife does have some trouble getting in...you may be onto something here!

RedWhite&PatriotBlue

Reaction score

I've got the mirror caps ordered actually. This forum gave my the confidence to tackle that job!

I ran the 5100's on my Jeep. A great shock, I'll have to keep those in mind when it comes time to lift.

Scram1500

Reaction score
I did a sway bar on my Jeep Grand Cherokee, it was night and day! I want to take the RAM on a nearby off ramp. test out the current sway bar one more time. Did you go with the Hellwig or something else?
Hellwig on middle setting, contemplating going back to stiffest.

I also considered the Roadmaster sway bar but it was a little more expensive and wasn't adjustable

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've got the mirror caps ordered actually. This forum gave my the confidence to tackle that job!

I ran the 5100's on my Jeep. A great shock, I'll have to keep those in mind when it comes time to lift.
Make sure you use a suction cup or something for the removal of the mirror glass! I broke my passenger side and it was $130, or something like that!

Users who are viewing this thread