5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A/C Noise ?? Very annoying

Duran

Reaction score
Usually noises are covered with the sound of metal barring over the stereo.
While driving about 65 against the wind with automatic A/C on i hear a faint kind whinning noise. it was comming from the A/C .
i turned all A/C off not the fans and the noise went away. Although some slipknot and slayer would solve this problem i find myself turning it diwn to be annoyed by the noise

Anyone have a clue what is causing the noise and please offer a solution rather then telling the dealer.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
Does it only do it when youre driving at speed or does it do when the truck is not moving as well?

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Are you saying it is coming through the speakers? Electrical interference from the fan motor? That might be a grounding issue that is tough to find.

Duran

Reaction score
It comes when im doing around 65 and no with the speakers off i still hear it

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I might just be a little slow understanding. The AC makes a whining noise at 65 mph.

Does it matter what vent position selection you have it on? What fan speed are you on? Is it regular AC or Max? Is it set on low or a temperature setting like 68?

I mean it could be as simple as a leaf caught in the vent. A mouse jambed in the blending door (I would hope you would smell that though unless you are one of the guys with 25 Vanillaroma air fresheners in the truck).

Duran

Reaction score
Hahahahha no id be able to smell it and yes with ac on not sure about the only fan turned on ill check that in my commute to work. But it seems i have a uniques issue. Maybe ill make a video of it to share

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
Usually noises are covered with the sound of metal barring over the stereo.
While driving about 65 against the wind with automatic A/C on i hear a faint kind whinning noise. it was comming from the A/C .
i turned all A/C off not the fans and the noise went away. Although some slipknot and slayer would solve this problem i find myself turning it diwn to be annoyed by the noise

Anyone have a clue what is causing the noise and please offer a solution rather then telling the dealer.
what year is your truck please

tyromeo55

Reaction score
My 2020 QQ BH does the same thing. Initially thought it was the front passenger side speaker and ANC on the fritz.

Highway speeds on windy days. Random timing. Can't find a situation where i can reproduce on demand. Sounds similar to someone opening the window on the highway but inside the HVAC system. Maybe a fresh air damper flying open? Fan speed has not affect. Recirculate and damper settings have no affect. Turning the HVAC system to "OFF" will stop the issue almost immediately. Return to operation and all is good till the gremlin decides to come back. Sometimes soon sometimes not

Reverse

Reaction score
switch a/c to 'recirculate', and then back to normal. That fixes it for me.

Majortom

Reaction score
My 2020 QQ BH does the same thing. Initially thought it was the front passenger side speaker and ANC on the fritz.

Highway speeds on windy days. Random timing. Can't find a situation where i can reproduce on demand. Sounds similar to someone opening the window on the highway but inside the HVAC system. Maybe a fresh air damper flying open? Fan speed has not affect. Recirculate and damper settings have no affect. Turning the HVAC system to "OFF" will stop the issue almost immediately. Return to operation and all is good till the gremlin decides to come back. Sometimes soon sometimes not
I had the same experience on a trip to Big Bend, but would add that moments after the noise began I could feel a slight increase in the volume of air from the vents.

Duran

Reaction score
switch a/c to 'recirculate', and then back to normal. That fixes it for me.
Ill def give it a try thank you sir get back to you with results in a couple hours

Duran

Reaction score
So even woth the ac off and fan running i still get the noise.

Users who are viewing this thread