5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

8-Speed Transmission Coolers

Lit_AF

Hardware Geek - Pro Detailer
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Was wondering the other day if we could add a external transmission cooler for the newer 8-speeds and how easy of a job it is.
Always done that to other transmissions (4l60e and 6l80s that I owned before), However, climate isn't that pleasing here, 94 °C (201 °F) without any load / towing.
I know that this is under normal operating temperatures, if it helps abit why not.

Thanks! (y)

RainDesert

Reaction score
I noticed the usual tranny cooler I'm used to seeing doesn't exist on my 1500. Is there one?

barr0208

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Was wondering the other day if we could add a external transmission cooler for the newer 8-speeds and how easy of a job it is.
Always done that to other transmissions (4l60e and 6l80s that I owned before), However, climate isn't that pleasing here, 94 °C (201 °F) without any load / towing.
I know that this is under normal operating temperatures, if it helps abit why not.

Thanks! (y) the tranny in your truck is designed to work best at those temps if you cool it down too much it may shorten its life span.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So there's no cooler or cooling method at all?
I read (on another forum) that the 8-speed uses a heat exchanger to warm or cool the transmission from engine coolant, depending on need. This seems like it would be especially helpful in getting the transmission up to operating temp quickly in cold weather.

But as I said, I read this elsewhere. Hopefully someone with more firsthand experience will conform or correct this.

popcenator

Reaction score
If the 5th gen is anything like the 4th gen, the cooler is built in with the radiator. There's a thermal bypass built into the return line of the cooler to get to operating temperature faster (for efficiency). The top portion of the radiator is the transmission cooler, the bottom is the normal radiator.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

RainDesert

Reaction score
If the 5th gen is anything like the 4th gen, the cooler is built in with the radiator. There's a thermal bypass built into the return line of the cooler to get to operating temperature faster (for efficiency). The top portion of the radiator is the transmission cooler, the bottom is the normal radiator.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Thanks, I will take a closer look at mine and check that out.

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
We have 2. Ones coolant at trans. Ones a large section on the condenser. Great advantage to have both. I’d be more interested in a trans stat delete myself.

upwindstorm

Reaction score
We have 2. Ones coolant at trans. Ones a large section on the condenser. Great advantage to have both. I’d be more interested in a trans stat delete myself.
what would the benefit of deleting the transmission "stat" thermostat?

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It would be 1 less part to worry about to fail. If you live a warmer climate. Fluid is already getting warmed up by coolant heat transfer/cooler

Users who are viewing this thread