5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

8.4 screen turned white then went blank.

Fanman01

Reaction score
On my way to work today, as soon as I started the truck my screen was a bright white with thin colorful lines running vertically. It slowly got darker until the screen was a solid black. My radio was still playing and I could change the station with my steering wheel. When I got to work, I turned the truck off and waited for everything to power down. I restarted it and the screen was just black. I put the truck in reverse to see if the camera would come on and it did not. After work everything worked like normal again. Anyone have any ideas? I have the 8.4 non nav in a Laramie.

Thanks.

Attachments

• 20181012_143930.jpg
    20181012_143930.jpg
    644.7 KB · Views: 50

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine has done it twice in 4 months. After turning the truck off for 5 or 10 minutes it comes back up. Probably just a glitch. The 8.4 in my 2013 Ram would occasionally go black or lock up, but I had it for 6 years and it never became an issue. Something to keep an eye on though.

wolf1776

Reaction score
You'll have to take it into your local dealer and they'll check for any software updates, which I don't think they have any. If there happens to be an update they'll end up doing that first. If there's no update, they'll do a factory reset by unplugging the radio from the back. If that doesn't work, then they'll open a STAR case (Chrysler Online Support Team) and see what they recommend. These radios can be a nightmare.

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That would be annoying, and it’s not the only post about this problem. I wonder how common it is or what triggers it. Perhaps there is a common event or sequence that causes it... only on start up, second start of the day, hot, cold, wet weather? Non-nav only or 8.4 Nav also?

Although it can be a pain chasing these intermittant problems down, for the sake of yourselves and others please do get them looked at by your service techs, and get it noted in your service records. Pictures such as yours help immensely.

That’s a distraction driving down the road, not good. How much vehicle functionality is lost without the display? Even if it doesn’t happen all the time it needs to be figured out. I am 100% certain they can fix this either through software or hardware, but regardless FCA won’t start fixing it until they know about it. We owners should not assume FCA knows about it, and keep flowing info like this to service (and @RamCares ;)) until there is an update or bulletin.

nlindste

Reaction score
On my way to work today, as soon as I started the truck my screen was a bright white with thin colorful lines running vertically. It slowly got darker until the screen was a solid black. My radio was still playing and I could change the station with my steering wheel. When I got to work, I turned the truck off and waited for everything to power down. I restarted it and the screen was just black. I put the truck in reverse to see if the camera would come on and it did not. After work everything worked like normal again. Anyone have any ideas? I have the 8.4 non nav in a Laramie.

Thanks.
I had the same thing happen to mine, unfortunately it happened while on vacation. What I did was disconnect the negative wire from the battery, there is a software update for the radio which is supposed to fix the issue. My radio wouldn't take the update so they went and opened a STAR case and ordered a replacement radio which hopefully will be in soon.

Since our radios are non-nav we do not have the option for over the air software updates which the Nav models get.

Fanman01

Reaction score
Question about back up guidelines. Mine disappeared. I tried to turn them back on in settings but it won't save. When I check it, it unchecks by itself and I get a message that says Cannot save. Can anyone help?

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Something to watch out for. Mine did this twice and would come back up after turning the vehicle off for 10 minutes or so. Had an issue where if I turned the volume up for too long, you would start noticing a faint burning smell. I figured it was coming from the amp. Dealer says they think it is coming from the radio. Ordered a new one and will be here in a week or so. If it is indeed the radio, the problems could be connected.

moonfire

Reaction score
This just happened to me like you described in the original post. I took video of it. Did you ever get a software update to resolve this? I'll be going into the dealership tomorrow to get it looked at or to at least be heard and an appointment made for an update if one is available.

Users who are viewing this thread