5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

6" Rough Country Lifted Struts Binding Noise Turning Right into a parking spot

LazyBoy

Reaction score
So I have a 2019 Bighorn. First ever NEW truck. Decided to have a company install a 6" RC Lift with Lifted Struts. I was extremely excited to have the work done and now it is turning into a mistake. I have been back and forth at least 3-4 times with a clunking noise when I turn into a parking spot. Mainly happens when making a sharp tight right turn at low speed. It pops then goes away. The installer has gone over the lift multiple times to find nothing wrong. The truck had just broke over 20k miles. Any help is greatly appreciated. I have also checked with Custom Offsets and they mention it could be the Strut's Top hat. Has anyone else have this issue?

Attachments

• IMG_1932[1].JPG
    IMG_1932[1].JPG
    184.7 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The upper strut mount being the culprit doesn’t really make sense in your situation. I know that the RC kit drops the front diff, but it sounds like you have an outer cv joint binding.

LazyBoy

Reaction score
The upper strut mount being the culprit doesn’t really make sense in your situation. I know that the RC kit drops the front diff, but it sounds like you have an outer cv joint binding.
Thanks man! Do happen to know why it would be binding? I had a buddy look at it and he said the same thing. The front diff does have the drop brackets installed.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks man! Do happen to know why it would be binding? I had a buddy look at it and he said the same thing. The front diff does have the drop brackets installed.
I can’t answer that, and I would just be speculating if I did. Hopefully, the shop installing the lift kit did not damage a CV joint. The only real diagnostic procedures I could think of to eliminate them as a possibility would be to remove the axles one at a time and drive it around slowly in the parking lot (in 2wd) to see if the noise goes away, or remove the outer boot and see if you can identify a problem with the joint itself (pretty difficult unless it’s obvious). I doubt removing the axles would cause a code if you stay in 2wd, but I don’t know that for certain. Lastly, you could rent or find somebody with a chassis ear and put the pick ups at certain points on the front suspension to see where it’s loudest while you’re driving it.

edit: removing the axle and putting weight on it might actually be a problem depending on the type of bearing. I believe it won’t impact the bearing, but you should ask the shop about this since they’ve had it apart already and I haven’t looked yet. I have done troubleshooting like this before by just using the outer part of the axle bolted into a hub, but that would be expensive for you to do.

I’m not endorsing this site at all, but here’s an example of what I’m talking about with chassis ear- Chassis Ear

Last edited:

canative

Reaction score
Mine would do that going over bumps. Turned out to be the bolts not being tight enough on the front sway bar. You couldn't turn them by hand but I turned them about two times around with a torque wrench. Noise went away.

LazyBoy

Reaction score
I can’t answer that, and I would just be speculating if I did. Hopefully, the shop installing the lift kit did not damage a CV joint. The only real diagnostic procedures I could think of to eliminate them as a possibility would be to remove the axles one at a time and drive it around slowly in the parking lot (in 2wd) to see if the noise goes away, or remove the outer boot and see if you can identify a problem with the joint itself (pretty difficult unless it’s obvious). I doubt removing the axles would cause a code if you stay in 2wd, but I don’t know that for certain. Lastly, you could rent or find somebody with a chassis ear and put the pick ups at certain points on the front suspension to see where it’s loudest while you’re driving it.

edit: removing the axle and putting weight on it might actually be a problem depending on the type of bearing. I believe it won’t impact the bearing, but you should ask the shop about this since they’ve had it apart already and I haven’t looked yet. I have done troubleshooting like this before by just using the outer part of the axle bolted into a hub, but that would be expensive for you to do.

I’m not endorsing this site at all, but here’s an example of what I’m talking about with chassis ear- Chassis Ear
Thank you, I can see the axel binding. Do you happen to know if the CV Axcel shafts are the same size on both sides? I am thinking that if one is slightly shorter than the other I might have the shorter one on the wrong side allowing it to over extend on a full turn.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thank you, I can see the axel binding. Do you happen to know if the CV Axcel shafts are the same size on both sides? I am thinking that if one is slightly shorter than the other I might have the shorter one on the wrong side allowing it to over extend on a full turn.
That’s a very good question. I can try to find out the answer to that tomorrow if I have time to mess around in the mitchell1 software.

LazyBoy

Reaction score
That’s a very good question. I can try to find out the answer to that tomorrow if I have time to mess around in the mitchell1 software.
Yeah I definitely have binding but not sure why. Let me know if you find out if there is a difference between left and right. Thanks

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah I definitely have binding but not sure why. Let me know if you find out if there is a difference between left and right. Thanks
I didnt get a chance before leaving for Vegas, but I’ll be back next week.

Ram1992

Reaction score
Aside from the clunking noise, how do you like the RC struts and lift kit? I am about to pull the trigger on this kit.

LazyBoy

Reaction score
Aside from the clunking noise, how do you like the RC struts and lift kit? I am about to pull the trigger on this kit.
I like it, the ride is nice. Really haven’t taken it off road yet but someday I will. I am just extremely frustrated with my clunking noise. Also I notice when I come to a complete stop I get a bump noise in the front almost as if the calipers move or something.

LazyBoy

Reaction score
Clunking noise in the front driver side; I Took it to the dealership and they are telling me that my differential and CV axle on the passenger side are the culprits. Ram wants almost $3000 to do the work and replace the parts. I am going to take it to a mom and pop shop to have a second opinion before spending that kind of money. The dealership said that the splines on the driver side intermediate shaft and the splines on the axle side of the differential were damaged.

yodahog

Reaction score
It could be unrelated, but I'm pretty sure I have the attached issue. Haven't had a chance to take it to dealership yet.

Attachments

• SB 08-137-21 grinding sound.pdf
    61.2 KB · Views: 30

HookedonRam

Reaction score
Clunking noise in the front driver side; I Took it to the dealership and they are telling me that my differential and CV axle on the passenger side are the culprits. Ram wants almost $3000 to do the work and replace the parts. I am going to take it to a mom and pop shop to have a second opinion before spending that kind of money. The dealership said that the splines on the driver side intermediate shaft and the splines on the axle side of the differential were damaged.
Whatever happened with this? I have the same issue and you can tell the intermediate cv axle shaft is rusted. I have powertrain warranty and Mopar Max Care neither the dealerships nor Ram care to fix the issue.

ChrisJ796

Reaction score
Ever find the problem?

ChrisJ796

Reaction score
Whatever happened with this? I have the same issue and you can tell the intermediate cv axle shaft is rusted. I have powertrain warranty and Mopar Max Care neither the dealerships nor Ram care to fix the issue.
Any luck ?

Users who are viewing this thread