5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

6” Rough Country lift kit. Was it a mistake?

Tomcat1981

Reaction score
Had my lift kit installed right before Christmas. Truck rides fine but I noticed a creaking noise when I turn wheel and going over bumps. I thought it was just a new kit that needed to be worn out and would go away (mind you, I’ve never had a lift kit, so I don’t know what to expect). Well it never did. Now it’s embarrassing while I’m in a parking kit and everyone’s looking at the truck on how nice it looks then to wonder wtf it sounds like that for being brand new. Took it back to installer twice and this time he tells me that noise is from the UCA and it was something that they just bolt up the kit too. Said when I change the angle it causes the UCA to wear more prematurely. Is that true? Does anyone make aftermarket UCA that will work fine with the 6” lift.

Should I have just waited and bought the ProComp or Ready Lift kits?

Tomcat1981

Reaction score
Plus. Just got off of phone with Rough Country and they say that lift kit uses a knuckle that keeps it leveled and should not cause extra wear and tear

warmachine

Reaction score
The knuckle should correct the angle of the upper control arm. Rough Country isn't exactly the highest quality product though. I wouldn't let a Rough Country part anywhere near my vehicle after the issues I had on one of my 4th gens

Ironwill

Reaction score
I just ordered the RC 6” lift yesterday. Now I’m doubting the purchase. Anyone else experiencing problems with the 6” Rough Country lifts?

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just ordered the RC 6” lift yesterday. Now I’m doubting the purchase. Anyone else experiencing problems with the 6” Rough Country lifts?
@jamesfg is running the Rough Country lift with no issues. My guess is tha the op either had a bad uca to begin with, or the installer messed up some way. When you drop the front differential, the upper and lower control arms retain nearly the exact same angle and geometry as the stock suspension.

If you do a spacer lift, without a differential drop, then yes it would change the angle of the upper ball joint and wear out prematurely, but that is not the case here.

jamesfg

Reaction score
I just turned 5500 miles on the truck, 4500 of those miles has been with the RC lift. So far, not one problem, no clunks from the suspension, shudders or shakes. Had the dealership change the oil last week and they gave the truck the once over and everything is aok, no unusual wear on the suspension components and best of all, tires are wearing like normal. No cupping, edging or unusual wear patterns.

jamesfg

Reaction score
Hey fellas been a while....9000 miles on baby girl and no problems. tires are wearing like they should, still rides as smooth as it did the day we installed.

jamesfg

Reaction score
There is a reason the RC lift is cheaper than the ProComp lift.
Well then let me give you my address so you can ship me out a Pro Comp lift. I'll send you back my, so far, no problem RC lift.

Since your the expert, send me your credit card info and I'll ask you about any future products so you can approve them before you pay for them. Since you got such an opinion, do you want me to start sending my monthly statements to you to pay?????????

That's the problem now-a-days, if you ain't got nothing nice to say, then shut up and scroll along.

Rebelboi

Reaction score
My 6" rc lift has been on for about 10,000 miles and hasn't given me the first issue so far, handles great and tires wear perfectly even

DirtNazzty

Reaction score

I put a 6" RC lift on my 2013 Laramie when I first got it in 2013...just rolled over 45k miles and havnt had a single issue with mine, so not quit sure what the other post talking about "all the problems with the 4th Gen RC kits" is about lol... I love my truck and it looks badass, I have a few buddies that have rc lifts on their trucks as well everyone seems to love them around here. You will be fine!

Boomer

Reaction score
4th gen 4 inch RC lift. 4 yrs 70k not a single problem. Loved it. Can’t wait to do it to my 5th gen

Attachments

• 8C8738A5-EC17-4383-8158-DDD8802633C7.jpeg
    8C8738A5-EC17-4383-8158-DDD8802633C7.jpeg
    124.8 KB · Views: 247
  • D76D04B3-1F30-44B3-B59B-9456E205162E.jpeg
    D76D04B3-1F30-44B3-B59B-9456E205162E.jpeg
    213.8 KB · Views: 242

b1gj0n44

Reaction score
Make sure all the bolts are tightened properly. On my 15 Ram, I had a 6" RC lift and had some squeakin like the OP was talking about. Kinda embarrassing in a new truck going over speed bumps in a parking lot and the truck to be making that much noise. But after about 1500 miles after the lift kit is installed, you need to go back through it and re-tighten all the bolts. That fixed my problem. Never had another squeak out of it and traded it in 2 weeks ago with 60k miles on it.

PotvinSux

Reaction score
Had my lift kit installed right before Christmas. Truck rides fine but I noticed a creaking noise when I turn wheel and going over bumps. I thought it was just a new kit that needed to be worn out and would go away (mind you, I’ve never had a lift kit, so I don’t know what to expect). Well it never did. Now it’s embarrassing while I’m in a parking kit and everyone’s looking at the truck on how nice it looks then to wonder wtf it sounds like that for being brand new. Took it back to installer twice and this time he tells me that noise is from the UCA and it was something that they just bolt up the kit too. Said when I change the angle it causes the UCA to wear more prematurely. Is that true? Does anyone make aftermarket UCA that will work fine with the 6” lift.

Should I have just waited and bought the ProComp or Ready Lift kits?

Take a look at this video. Especially around 12:05. Not sure if this is the issue but good information.

tutanker

Reaction score
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie quad cab 4x4
3.92 gears 6" Rough Country lift
Moto Metal 20x12 Wheels
Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ P3 35x12.5 tires
I had my Rough Country lift installed late last month. Very minor rubbing of front tires, not enough to worry about. After 500 miles no noises, or other issues with the suspension. One of my tires didn't balance spot on after two attempts. The installer said he saw some excessive wobble and thinks it'll straighten out. It has gotten better, so I'm not worried about it. I've attached pictures.
I'm sure this is closer to a 8" lift becuase it sits so much taller. Very happy with the lift and ride.

Attachments

• RamOld2.JPG
    RamOld2.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 230
  • RamOld3.JPG
    RamOld3.JPG
    65 KB · Views: 266
  • ramNew1.jpg
    ramNew1.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 316
  • ramNew2.jpg
    ramNew2.jpg
    216.7 KB · Views: 314

Maxram

Reaction score
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie quad cab 4x4
3.92 gears 6" Rough Country lift
Moto Metal 20x12 Wheels
Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ P3 35x12.5 tires
I had my Rough Country lift installed late last month. Very minor rubbing of front tires, not enough to worry about. After 500 miles no noises, or other issues with the suspension. One of my tires didn't balance spot on after two attempts. The installer said he saw some excessive wobble and thinks it'll straighten out. It has gotten better, so I'm not worried about it. I've attached pictures.
I'm sure this is closer to a 8" lift becuase it sits so much taller. Very happy with the lift and ride.
Looks awesome! Been thinking of going with the RC due to cost, not planning on keeping my truck more than 3 years so it seems stupid to invest anymore in a lift. I have the ORP too. So you think it lifted your truck about 8"? Are you level, nose high, or do you still have a rake?

tutanker

Reaction score
you think it lifted your truck about 8"? Are you level, nose high, or do you still have a rake?

The Falcon tires on my stock 20" rims were 275/55/R20's so I think three inches is in tire height alone. The total height difference with the 35's and the 6" lift is 9 to 10" I'm thinking. If you compare pictures RamOld2 and ramNew2, the rake is gone. If you look at ramNew1 there's a nosedown rake. I'll ask my installer when I take it in. The offset on the 20x12 rims is -44, which looks awesome.....

The rubbing is my hard plastic spoiler below the front bumper, and the little mud flap in the rear of the front wheel well. Very easy to fix, but I'm not going to bother yet. You should buy this lift!!! I suggest you ship your lift home so you can inventory components. I had one box that was destroyed, but it was the passenger knuckle box and only had that one part. My installer didn't have time to do parts inventory, and his shop was too busy for me to do it there. I ended up taking everything home and bringing them back for the install.

Last edited:

Maxram

Reaction score
Nice! Makes sense; 3" from tires, 1" from ORP springs, 6" from kit is definitely more like 9-10" from stock. I just picked up similar wheels and tires, 20x12 -44 XD820's on 35 Ridge Grapplers so what you have is pretty much how mine would look. Looking back at your pics I'd say you have a slight rake, which I think is a good thing and what I'm looking for since I tow a bit. Now my only hang up is waiting to see what the Superlift kit ends up being. Just saw the announcement on Instagram a few days ago that their kit is coming out really soon. I think I'm gonna wait until we get closer to the holidays, black friday and what not. I'm betting their will be some deals. Hate waiting but my patience paid of on the wheels and tires. Got them 4 months used for $1500. Even wear on all 4 tires, about 90% tread left and a few minor scratches on the rims which I've been able to buff out. And I just picked up a Pulsar unit brand new in box last night for $300. It really sucks waiting lol but I know it'll pay off in the end.

You have any other plans for your rig?

tutanker

Reaction score
Nice! Makes sense; 3" from tires, 1" from ORP springs, 6" from kit is definitely more like 9-10" from stock. I just picked up similar wheels and tires, 20x12 -44 XD820's on 35 Ridge Grapplers so what you have is pretty much how mine would look. Looking back at your pics I'd say you have a slight rake, which I think is a good thing and what I'm looking for since I tow a bit. Now my only hang up is waiting to see what the Superlift kit ends up being. Just saw the announcement on Instagram a few days ago that their kit is coming out really soon. I think I'm gonna wait until we get closer to the holidays, black friday and what not. I'm betting their will be some deals. Hate waiting but my patience paid of on the wheels and tires. Got them 4 months used for $1500. Even wear on all 4 tires, about 90% tread left and a few minor scratches on the rims which I've been able to buff out. And I just picked up a Pulsar unit brand new in box last night for $300. It really sucks waiting lol but I know it'll pay off in the end.

You have any other plans for your rig?
Sorry I never replied. No big plans for my Ram. I may do a window tint and a stereo upgrade but am not in a rush. Keep us posted on your lift.

bigdaddymac

Reaction score
Had my 6” RC for over 6 months now with no issues. Rides great and no noises from the lift. No regrets from me.

Users who are viewing this thread