5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5th Generation Ram HD to debut January 2019

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Yesterday, FCA announced their 5 year plan and included in it was a lot of news about Rams future. Among that news was confirmation that the 5th Gen Ram HD will debut just 6 months from now in January at the 2019 North American International Autoshow in Detroit as we predicted a few weeks ago.

2020 Ram HD (Real Fast Fotography photo)

Hot on the heels of this news we have just received a bunch of spy photos and video of the 2020 Ram HD out testing. Thanks to our friends at Real Fast Fotography we are getting a closer look than ever at the new HD trucks. While we wrote an article about everything we know about the HD trucks a few days ago we do also now know that the new HDs will be level 2 autonomous capable for the 2022 model year. Level 2 autonomy means the vehicle is able to steer, brake and accelerate by itself while using information about it’s driving environment. The driver must always be ready to take control if the vehicle if required, the system would be similar to Teslas Autopilot.

Here is our spy video and new spy photos of the 5th gen Ram HD.

2020-Ram-2500HD-Regular-Cab.jpg

2020-Ram-2500HD-Regular-Cab-7.jpg

2020-Ram-2500HD-Regular-Cab-5.jpg

2020-Ram-2500HD-Regular-Cab-4.jpg

2020-Ram-2500HD-Regular-Cab-3.jpg

2020-Ram-2500HD-Regular-Cab-2.jpg

2020-Ram-2500HD-Regular-Cab-1.jpg

2020-Ram-2500HD-Crew-Cab.jpg

2020-Ram-2500HD-Crew-Cab-3.jpg

Check back regularly as we will be updating the site with information about the new Ram heavy duty models as they become available. Don’t forget to check our Forums section for more great content.

SoCal Truck

Reaction score
Nice article and 5 year plan. Love the Level 2 Autonomous and read that the 1500s will get in 2021. Will this be a software upgrade that the 2019s/2020s will be able to get or do you need to buy a 2021 year model?

D

Deleted member103

This news certainly is no secret - seems just about every Auto Site has the "exclusive" on it, :), but it IS nice to see . . .
or is it ? By that I mean, is 3rd time a Charm ?, or will we see yet another "too early" MisStep as with the Cherokee and now sadly with the DT ! Granted the DT "issues" seem more about Delivery & Plant Concerns ! Marchione seems to be "in bit of a hurry" to close the deal(s) before he retires early next year -- you know, sort of protect his "legacy" ! ?

Of Course these are just my "uninformed Opinions" and as a HUGE RAM/JEEP Owner/Fan I wish only the best -- pulling for you Mr. CEO . :cool:

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Nice article and 5 year plan. Love the Level 2 Autonomous and read that the 1500s will get in 2021. Will this be a software upgrade that the 2019s/2020s will be able to get or do you need to buy a 2021 year model?

I doubt the older trucks would be upgradeable. There will probably be a bit more hardware in the 2021 trucks to make it work. That also makes me think that 2021 might be a mid cycle refresh year.

D

Deleted member 85

I doubt the older trucks would be upgradeable. There will probably be a bit more hardware in the 2021 trucks to make it work. That also makes me think that 2021 might be a mid cycle refresh year.
I'd be pleasantly surprised if a refresh happened that quickly. It took 4th gens 4 model years, I'd think the 5th Gen would likely refresh in 2023 following the same timeline.

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hmmm. I wonder what would happen is law enforcement ran that license plate through their system....

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd be pleasantly surprised if a refresh happened that quickly. It took 4th gens 4 model years, I'd think the 5th Gen would likely refresh in 2023 following the same timeline.

I thought about that before I wrote the comment but I see it like this. The 2019s went on sale early 2018 so 2018, 2019, 2020, and then a refresh for 2021 really only puts it off 1 year from the 4 years it took DS to get the 2013 refresh. I also could be completely wrong but even I forget just how long of a model year the 2019s are going to have.

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
ok? law enforcement can still run the plate out to get info on the truck and owner

I would think it would be like a dealers plate in Canada. No info on the vehicle, the plate would just come back to the dealer with the business info on it.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Not looking forward to winter, and don't want to wish away summer and fall, but I sure can't wait for January

Users who are viewing this thread