5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5th Gen fuel door

1500Bear

Reaction score
Has anyone else had issues with their fuel door catching / securing properly? I'm referring to the press-to-open, press-to-close body-paint-matched swing door that covers the fuel port for gasoline model trucks (1500 V8 Big Horn in my case). It pops open 100% of the time as expected, but it can take me as many as 10+ attempts to get it to "catch" and remain shut. Anybody else having this issue or figure out a way to "tighten" or fix that catching mechanism?

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have the opposite situation, but not as severe. I have a harder time popping it open and easier time closing, but it usually only takes me 2-3 attempts to open it.

But I think our issue is the same, you need to press at the location of the mechanism, and do so with the right amount of pressure. If not, the mechanism doesn't open/close correctly. If I focus, I can get it to open and close consistently on the first try. I would practice and see if you can do that, if no matter what you do it still doesn't work well, I would try using some dry lube on the mechanism. If that doesn't work, I would take it to the dealer (assuming I'm under warranty).

It bothers me because I'm doing it at a Costco gas line where everyone behind you is watching for any flubs that slow down the line. I can feel their eyes burning at my back as I take a couple of seconds too long to get my gas. Though I don't blame them, I was doing the same thing just a moment ago when I was next in line. It's what happens when discount gasoline is well above $5 a gallon.

RockYacht2020

Reaction score
If you guys with older trucks that don't have the dimple want one, just come over to my house. I've figured out the mod. We can all get fixed up in a little assembly line with my ball-peen hammer. $10 each.*

*Results may vary. Fuel door functionality improvement not guaranteed. No refunds.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
If you guys with older trucks that don't have the dimple want one, just come over to my house. I've figured out the mod. We can all get fixed up in a little assembly line with my ball-peen hammer. $10 each.*

*Results may vary. Fuel door functionality improvement not guaranteed. No refunds.

You'll have better luck carving out a dimple in the plastic door with a Dremel.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score

Appreciate the offer, but opening and closing the fuel door hasn't been an issue for us.

p.s. The disclaimer was a nice touch. :ROFLMAO:

Triple X

Reaction score
I mentioned this to my dealer when getting the oil changed. They were going to lube it but ordered a new latch assy. Supposed to be in in 3-4 days.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
I mentioned this to my dealer when getting the oil changed. They were going to lube it but ordered a new latch assy. Supposed to be in in 3-4 days.
Now when the dealer gets ahold of it, the fuel door will be completely screwed for the life of the truck. 😝

1500Bear

Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback, everyone. I've tried to be more deliberate with my pressure and press-placement, but still having some issues. I'll try spraying it clear with some compressed air and then dry lube to see if that helps the latch mechanism work/grab more reliably. It was an issue while under warranty, but not a big enough issue to remember it when I was at the dealer....guess it's up to me to fix it now.

Users who are viewing this thread