5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5th Gen E-Locker after 8000 miles

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'll start by saying I was originally sceptical of the e-locker and even questioned getting a 5th Gen Rebel with the LSD instead because I absolutely loved how my 4th Gen LSD handled the power of the 5.7hemi.

But I decided to blindly put my faith in the engineering of the new Rebel and the added potential of having a locking diff at the push of a button.

I have to say after going through 3 seasons and 8000 miles I am a convert. I will never drive/own another truck without at least a rear locking differential. I had suspected it might not be ideal in winter, but boy-howdy was I wrong! The 4HI plus locking rear was an unstoppable force in any winter road conditions.

I love the fact that it's only enabled at low speeds and there's never a fear of "doing something wrong" when using it.

The absolute best part of the 5th Gen E-Locker is that it's somewhat of a hybrid. Best of both worlds, one might say. I've RARELY driven off the line and left one tire mark... it's almost always posi at a stop light or in aggressive acceleration. It's almost as if it's a "smart" differential. I've never seen or heard of a rear axle with such flexibility and diversity in its application of traction in a truck before. I am 100% confident behind the wheel, as if the truck understands what I'm doing and how to apply traction.

I drive aggressively, I'm old school. I like that the Rebel feels almost as powerful and fun to drive as my 71' Dart in 2WD. That's saying a lot. I love it and am finding my perma grin getting bigger every day thanks to the new E-Locker and it's sudo/hybrid LSD tendencies.

Super impressed. Happy camper.

Mic drop.

HKP7PSP

Reaction score
Glad you are happy with it! I got the locker in my Laramie as well, and agree with your sentiment. In my mind, a limited slip diff is better suited for a car or family SUV. A locking differential is far more capable when the terrain gets bad, as it physically locks the two wheels together, whereas the LSD will eventually be overcome by the slipping.

Futta112

Reaction score
I used mine during ice fishing season. Lots of heavy snow and drifts on the lake. I walked through it all no problems

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'll start by saying I was originally sceptical of the e-locker and even questioned getting a 5th Gen Rebel with the LSD instead because I absolutely loved how my 4th Gen LSD handled the power of the 5.7hemi.

But I decided to blindly put my faith in the engineering of the new Rebel and the added potential of having a locking diff at the push of a button.

I have to say after going through 3 seasons and 8000 miles I am a convert. I will never drive/own another truck without at least a rear locking differential. I had suspected it might not be ideal in winter, but boy-howdy was I wrong! The 4HI plus locking rear was an unstoppable force in any winter road conditions.

I love the fact that it's only enabled at low speeds and there's never a fear of "doing something wrong" when using it.

The absolute best part of the 5th Gen E-Locker is that it's somewhat of a hybrid. Best of both worlds, one might say. I've RARELY driven off the line and left one tire mark... it's almost always posi at a stop light or in aggressive acceleration. It's almost as if it's a "smart" differential. I've never seen or heard of a rear axle with such flexibility and diversity in its application of traction in a truck before. I am 100% confident behind the wheel, as if the truck understands what I'm doing and how to apply traction.

I drive aggressively, I'm old school. I like that the Rebel feels almost as powerful and fun to drive as my 71' Dart in 2WD. That's saying a lot. I love it and am finding my perma grin getting bigger every day thanks to the new E-Locker and it's sudo/hybrid LSD tendencies.

Super impressed. Happy camper.

Mic drop.
Good news!
First car was a faded sun yellow ‘69 Dart with a deer dent on the right fender and hood... whimpy-but-reliable slant 6 225. (y):coffee::coffee:

XDBrad

Reaction score
You can lock the rear diff in 4 hi?
Absolutely can, it will automatically disengage around the 30mph point to prevent damage. I too nam sold on the elocker as VaderRebel says above. Best of both worlds and will never go without again.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You can lock the rear diff in 4 hi?
You can lock the rear diff...the eLocker...in 2wd, 4hi, and 4lo

You have to push the button each time the truck is started.

It disengages over 20mph (I believe 27?) And engages again when speeds drop below 20mph(?)

A "few" threads describe this in detail

LVLAaron

Reaction score
You can lock the rear diff...the eLocker...in 2wd, 4hi, and 4lo

You have to push the button each time the truck is started.

It disengages over 20mph (I believe 27?) And engages again when speeds drop below 20mph(?)

A "few" threads describe this in detail

Ahh OK. I don't have the locker in mine, but I'm coming from jeep/toyota world where locker means locked at all speeds.

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I haven't used the E-locker yet, but I've used the 4x4 in some snow. Very pleased with the 4x4 and the duratracs!
Thank you again Vader, I have a 5th gen rebel in some part because of your advice

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I haven't used the E-locker yet, but I've used the 4x4 in some snow. Very pleased with the 4x4 and the duratracs!
Thank you again Vader, I have a 5th gen rebel in some part because of your advice
No thanks needed! Thanks to the interwebs and forums like this one, we can share our experiences and suggestions in hopes of saving a like-minded fella a bunch of grief.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I was going to buy a lot truck with the E Locker but that deal fell through. My actual truck came with anti-spin, and since its actually my wife’s truck, I thought that was better for her (all she knows or cares about if “4A” so...) and living in the Raleigh NC area, not much use for E Lock. I’d still have taken it on the first deal though.

Users who are viewing this thread