5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rock Crawler’s 2/4 Drop Saga

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m more impressed with how clean everything is lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Rock Crawler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That’s perfect!

Can’t wait to hear how the timbergroves do for you. I may switch to them down the road.

Did you say what you are using for air?

I’m just using the lines provided with the kit for now. I’m waiting to get their on-board self leveling air kit. They are out of stock right now.

Rock Crawler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Looks great. Clean install. What did you use to cut the factory rear brackets off? I need to do the cut kit on my 4” rear drop.

I used a 4 1/2” angle grinder with cut-off wheels for most of it. I had to use a Dremel with reinforced cut-off wheels in the tight spots. Sure wish I had a plasma cutter. It would have saved a lot of time. Then I had to grind down what was left behind just to clean it up a bit. I did not grind anything flush to the axle. I don’t have the time or the patience for all that. Then I cleaned it up and spray painted it with flat black. To do all of this, I dropped the axle as far as I could without damaging any lines or hoses.

Last edited:

Clv22p

Reaction score
Those upper arms must be good. That's the best Maxtrac alignment Ive seen at a 2 inch drop.

Rock Crawler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Alignment guy said the axle is hitting the bump stops. I’ve felt that a few times. I’m going to try cutting them down some, but I’m sure I’ll have to remove them and cut off the cups.

Rock Crawler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm impressed with the after adjustment readings. I've been running the IHC upper arms, but I like the look of the MaxTrac arms. Just curious, why didn't you get the thrust angle closer to zero with the track bar?

Would the track bar fix that? Or would adjustable control arms be needed? I thought the track bar just adjusted the rear axle side to side, not front to back. I’ll admit that I don’t really know what all those numbers mean. I’m learning all of this as I go. I was kind of in a hurry by the time they finished. They said it all aligned properly, so I paid and left.

gearhead321

Reaction score
Would the track bar fix that? Or would adjustable control arms be needed? I thought the track bar just adjusted the rear axle side to side, not front to back. I’ll admit that I don’t really know what all those numbers mean. I’m learning all of this as I go. I was kind of in a hurry by the time they finished. They said it all aligned properly, so I paid and left.
Ideally, adjustable control arms would be the way to go. If your axle is way off center, it can affect thrust angle. I'm looking at the core4x4 adjustable upper and lower arms so I can also adjust my pinion angle. How do the Timbergrove air bags ride in the rear?

Rock Crawler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ideally, adjustable control arms would be the way to go. If your axle is way off center, it can affect thrust angle. I'm looking at the core4x4 adjustable upper and lower arms so I can also adjust my pinion angle. How do the Timbergrove air bags ride in the rear?

I was considering adjustable control arms as well. The bags ride fairly well. Definitely a stiffer ride than factory. Maybe some better shocks will help.

gearhead321

Reaction score
I was considering adjustable control arms as well. The bags ride fairly well. Definitely a stiffer ride than factory. Maybe some better shocks will help.
I installed QA1 dual adjustable shocks on mine with the IHC rear setup. Been adjusting compression and rebound slowly and driving a few days to get a feel for the adjustments. Getting really close to my ideal ride feel. Its amazing how much difference 1 click makes.

Rock Crawler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I may have to look into those. I did some light towing today and the setup worked very well. I had to make several trips to pick up some top soil with a dump trailer. Trailer weight plus about 4K lbs of dirt each trip. Just added some air to the bags and all was good.

Rock Crawler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m so ready for Timber Grove to release their on-board air/self-leveling system. Having to manually air up each bag separately every time I tow or haul is gonna get old real quick. They have been out of stock for a while due to supply issues. They are having to use a new tank supplier and are in the testing phases now. Last time I spoke with Steven, he said they should be available around end of this month.

Rock Crawler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What about running the airlift system? It doesn’t have a tank, but is it needed with just the rear bags? It’s half the price as well.

I’d prefer to have the tank so I have some on-board air reserve, and I want the self-leveling feature. Also, the Timber Groves Kit is direct fit. No need to fabricate brackets or any other parts to mount it. Once I set the height in the rear, it will maintain it automatically when I add a load.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread