5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5778 miles on 2020 RAM and I'm getting a misfire cylinder 4 P0304 code. Ugh...

Oscar

Reaction score
I just had mine in to the dealer on the 22nd. Engine running rough, engine light on. Code P0303.
Had bad injector on #3, with 10500 miles.

RT75

Reaction score
Just got my 2020 Rebel and these post are not comforting. Hope everyone gets these issues fixed easily.

Sugar

Reaction score
I had a cyl 4 misfire issues with P0304 also. Ended up just being a coil pack that was bad.

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
“The biggest reason for fuel injector failure is low-grade fuel.

Fuel injectors will fail when debris (water, dirt particles, etc.) or rust find their way into the system and, after time, plug up the nozzle, the armature, or the nozzle needle gets stuck.

To prevent debris from getting into the system, I recommend doing everything you can to help keep your fuel system clean.

• Don’t fill up when a gas station is receiving a new shipment of fuel, as any impurities in the fuel likely haven’t settled in the station’s tanks and could make their way into your truck.
  • It’s also a good idea to avoid filling up from portable, job-site type fuel tanks that are more likely to have debris in floating in their tanks.
  • When possible, purchase high-quality fuel from reliable stations that are known for their premium fuel — not just the best price.
  • Keep your fuel system clean by regularly changing your fuel filters and avoiding aftermarket components that aren’t designed for your particular truck.
  • If you keep your truck stored for an extended period, particularly in these winter months, it’s a good idea to fire up your engine occasionally to prevent corrosion of key parts of your fuel system. You should also consider fuel additives designed for stabilizing the fuel in your system.

Last edited:

RSConsulting

Reaction score
Just got my 2020 Rebel and these post are not comforting. Hope everyone gets these issues fixed easily.

I wouldn't get too worried - if everyone that has had ZERO ISSUES posted that they had ZERO ISSUES - you wouldn't be able to find the "I'm having this (or that) problem" posts.

And (aside from stuff like CEL's) - a lot of this stuff is subjective.

example: People complain about the A/C in these trucks. I commented I was getting 58 degrees out of my center stack vent - and people told me that wasn't cold enough (or any number of previous vehicles were colder coming out of the vent). Fact of the matter - when set to Auto/Lo here in SoFla - at 95 degrees (108 with the head index) - I have to turn the temp UP after a bit, because the A/C freezes my butt out. Subjective.

With the thousands of these trucks on the road - 633K 2019's sold - times 8 injectors per unit (+/-) = 5.064 MILLION INJECTORS installed (1.2 million combined sales 18-20 - add to that all the hemi's put in their cars). Yeah - I'd expect a few are going to go bad. You hope it ain't yours - and if it is - you take it in and get it fixed under warranty.

It's the assembly and QC issues (roof drain grommets not installed correctly resulting in water in the rear seat area - for example) - that REALLY TWEAKS US - because these are PREVENTABLE HUMAN ERROR at the assembly plant. I have a bigger issue with "comfort" when I hear about these issues (had it myself), than I do an injector going out.

Again - we never hear about people that have NO PROBLEMS - so I wouldn't be all too concerned. Now - I (personally) find FCA's parts fiches to be lacking - and their parts/service guys don't hold a candle to my old Honda dealership experience. But then again - I had 12 years of history with them - same parts guy/same service writer - and that dealership placed a high value on customer relationships. I didn't get the same sense at my RAM dealer - but - this is my first RAM, so we shall see.

Kinda wordy and off-topic - but I figured I'd throw that out there for ya...

Rick

RT75

Reaction score
I wouldn't get too worried - if everyone that has had ZERO ISSUES posted that they had ZERO ISSUES - you wouldn't be able to find the "I'm having this (or that) problem" posts.

And (aside from stuff like CEL's) - a lot of this stuff is subjective.

example: People complain about the A/C in these trucks. I commented I was getting 58 degrees out of my center stack vent - and people told me that wasn't cold enough (or any number of previous vehicles were colder coming out of the vent). Fact of the matter - when set to Auto/Lo here in SoFla - at 95 degrees (108 with the head index) - I have to turn the temp UP after a bit, because the A/C freezes my butt out. Subjective.

With the thousands of these trucks on the road - 633K 2019's sold - times 8 injectors per unit (+/-) = 5.064 MILLION INJECTORS installed (1.2 million combined sales 18-20 - add to that all the hemi's put in their cars). Yeah - I'd expect a few are going to go bad. You hope it ain't yours - and if it is - you take it in and get it fixed under warranty.

It's the assembly and QC issues (roof drain grommets not installed correctly resulting in water in the rear seat area - for example) - that REALLY TWEAKS US - because these are PREVENTABLE HUMAN ERROR at the assembly plant. I have a bigger issue with "comfort" when I hear about these issues (had it myself), than I do an injector going out.

Again - we never hear about people that have NO PROBLEMS - so I wouldn't be all too concerned. Now - I (personally) find FCA's parts fiches to be lacking - and their parts/service guys don't hold a candle to my old Honda dealership experience. But then again - I had 12 years of history with them - same parts guy/same service writer - and that dealership placed a high value on customer relationships. I didn't get the same sense at my RAM dealer - but - this is my first RAM, so we shall see.

Kinda wordy and off-topic - but I figured I'd throw that out there for ya...

Rick
You are right... lol. I actually went with Ram bc of positive experiences close friend has had.

GWillings

Reaction score
I am getting that same code. Mine comes and goes. Starting to sound like I need to make an appointment and bring it in.

Chopperbobby

Reaction score
Mine is back in the dealership for the 5th time on cylinder 8 mis firing. First time in October took 3 times to get it right. Same problem end of march. Got it back for two days. Had to take it back again. Been there since Saturday.
back in October. They first updated the software. Last one day. Then changed plug and ignition pack. Lasted one day. Then changed ignition pack again spark plug again and this time injector. This lasted until march. This time changed ignition pack and plug. Lasted 2 days. Now in shop for 6 days no word yet.
2 years old 33,000 miles

Andy.trullinger

Reaction score
Mine is back in the dealership for the 5th time on cylinder 8 mis firing. First time in October took 3 times to get it right. Same problem end of march. Got it back for two days. Had to take it back again. Been there since Saturday.
back in October. They first updated the software. Last one day. Then changed plug and ignition pack. Lasted one day. Then changed ignition pack again spark plug again and this time injector. This lasted until march. This time changed ignition pack and plug. Lasted 2 days. Now in shop for 6 days no word yet.
2 years old 33,000 miles
Having the same issues currently - The dealer is now going suggesting cam/valve issues.
Did they locate the issues with yours and if so what is it?

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Having the same issues currently - The dealer is now going suggesting cam/valve issues.
Did they locate the issues with yours and if so what is it?
Try some Lucas injector cleaner and a tank full of fresh gasoline, this got rid of my P0308 and CEL after about a week of driving.

Chopperbobby

Reaction score
Ya re programmed something two different times. They replaced injector 8 and spark 4 or 5 time until they programmed it correcrly

23RAM

Reaction score
I had a cyl 4 misfire issues with P0304 also. Ended up just being a coil pack that was bad.
Same here, cyl 5 though. Just a bad coil pack at 6k. I had one go back in the SUV and same quick fix. They sell tons of these trucks, so a bad coil here and there is normal.

oibedroc

Reaction score
Just purchased a 2019 with 57K, P0303 and changed 3rd cylinder plugs, coil and still yellow flashing CE light. I believe it could only be the injector now...

Users who are viewing this thread