5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5100 Ride Quality

Ortiz2828

Reaction score
Just installed the Billstein 5100 at level 5 on my RAM. Ride quality is very stiff and definitely not as good as it was stock. Has anyone felt this and do they break in with time?

Sspearsau

Reaction score
I had mine installed two weeks ago, and I now have about 100 miles on them. I love the ride and really cannot tell much difference between these and stock. Mine were also set to #5, giving me about 1-inch of rake. The only change in the ride that I notice is that since my front end is a little higher, I get a little more body roll on the off-ramps. I can fix that though by slowing down a little.

Today I went in a wildlife management area here in FL after some rain, so the roads were a little washed out and got to "off-road" with them a little bit. Nothing extreme at all, but they handled the rough roads, holes, etc. extremely well. Couldn't have asked for anything more.

Did you do just the fronts? That is all I did.

Bluelinebuild

Reaction score
They felt great to me with factory tires. Once I went to E rated MT, I immediately could tell the change(in a bad way) in ride quality but thankfully I know the bilsteins are not to blame.

Ortiz2828

Reaction score
I am starting to think it may be the tires I’m running 275/60/20 falken wildpeak at3s. I’m thinking the e rated tire may be the culprit

Bluelinebuild

Reaction score
I am starting to think it may be the tires I’m running 275/60/20 falken wildpeak at3s. I’m thinking the e rated tire may be the culprit

My guess is the tires. A lot of guys tend to do tires at the same time as the bilsteins and end up going with an E rated tire and then think its the bilsteins.

SB09

Reaction score
I’ve got about 200 miles with the 5100s. Mine ride smooth. It feels like a truck still. But that’s to be expected. I’ve drove them off road, dirt road, and highway. All good. I’d be looking at tires too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ortiz2828

Reaction score
Thanks. What tires do you all recommend. The flakens don’t seem to be the right choice. I was thinking of going with Nitto terra grapplers instead. Looking for a somewhat aggressive look with the comfort close to stock

SB09

Reaction score
Thanks. What tires do you all recommend. The flakens don’t seem to be the right choice. I was thinking of going with Nitto terra grapplers instead. Looking for a somewhat aggressive look with the comfort close to stock

I’ve had a lot of terra grapplers. Good looking, long tread life, tough tire. Normally I’d have bought those. Went a little more aggressive looking with the 35s and got some Ridge Grapplers this time around. I’ve only got about 5k on them. So far, I’m happy. But I usually find the true test of a tire loudness and tread life is more clear around 20-30k. So, we will see. Terra’s are tried and true for sure. Not excellent on off road traction in my experience though.

MarkB67

Reaction score
Go with these tires Thunderer Ranger ATr 35x12.50R20,smoothest riding tire I have ever had on a truck !!!!! At a fraction of the price of the others -$760.00 shipped-you will not be sorry, Bilsteins to be installed next week so if my ride goes to hell I can definitely say it was the Bilsteins

Attachments

• 134F0516-8F19-47E0-BDA4-6ABB8FE53813.jpeg
    134F0516-8F19-47E0-BDA4-6ABB8FE53813.jpeg
    134.5 KB · Views: 151
  • E7A9CFE7-18E9-4E14-8D2B-8A009152380F.jpeg
    E7A9CFE7-18E9-4E14-8D2B-8A009152380F.jpeg
    116 KB · Views: 89

Ortiz2828

Reaction score
I’ve had a lot of terra grapplers. Good looking, long tread life, tough tire. Normally I’d have bought those. Went a little more aggressive looking with the 35s and got some Ridge Grapplers this time around. I’ve only got about 5k on them. So far, I’m happy. But I usually find the true test of a tire loudness and tread life is more clear around 20-30k. So, we will see. Terra’s are tried and true for sure. Not excellent on off road traction in my experience though.

Thanks for the input

Ortiz2828

Reaction score
Go with these tires Thunderer Ranger ATr 35x12.50R20,smoothest riding tire I have ever had on a truck !!!!! At a fraction of the price of the others -$760.00 shipped-you will not be sorry, Bilsteins to be installed next week so if my ride goes to hell I can definitely say it was the Bilsteins
Thanks for the tire tip. Those look great. Let us know how the Bilstein work out for you

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I put 5100s on my Laramie ORP with 33” Duratracs about 2 weeks ago, set the fronts to #5. I could immediately feel the truck was stiffer than before. I think it does better off-road, for sure, but at the cost of the previously smooth on-road manners it previously had.

I can tell the shocks are more responsive, meaning instead of floating over bumps with higher travel, it feels like the shocks rebound very quickly. This does feel more “responsive”, but can also be pretty harsh, especially at slower speeds. At faster speeds, it seems to handle pretty well.

Overall, I felt the Ram from the factory was as smooth a truck as I had been in, but find it less enjoyable now on the highway or city streets. It’s not horrible by any means, but there’s a very noticeable difference, for me.

I’m going back to #4 position, but I personally think it has more to do with valving than lift height. I can feel the same fast rebound coming from the rear 5100s, as well.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There are certain things you don't want to cheap out on... The 4 pieces of rubber holding your very expensive vehicle to the road should be one of them. Terra Grapplers are pricey, but I got 65k out of a set of 33's on my Titan. Moved to Pathfinder AT's after that, which are a Discount Tire brand copy of the Terra Grapplers. Got 40k on those with tread left before I sold the truck.

E rated tires in general are going to be more harsh than P regardless of the brand/tread. 20" wheels don't help. More sidewall = more flex.

MarkB67

Reaction score
My guess is the tires. A lot of guys tend to do tires at the same time as the bilsteins and end up going with an E rated tire and then think its the bilsteins.
I have actually done tires first in 35-12.50-20 and they ride like a cloud, Bilsteins on the way and hope to have them on Friday

MarkB67

Reaction score
I’ve got about 200 miles with the 5100s. Mine ride smooth. It feels like a truck still. But that’s to be expected. I’ve drove them off road, dirt road, and highway. All good. I’d be looking at tires too.

Are you on setting #6 or 7 ?

SB09

Reaction score
Are you on setting #6 or 7 ?

On setting 7 with the SST puck on top of the spring still in place as well.

The shop took out the spacer that went on top of the coil and let the shocks do the lifting for that part.

MarkB67

Reaction score
On setting 7 with the SST puck on top of the spring still in place as well.

The shop took out the spacer that went on top of the coil and let the shocks do the lifting for that part.

So you’re at 2.6 lift ?

Kevin O'Leary

Reaction score
Pretty sure it has to do more with your change in tires than the bilsteins...

Had my bilsteins put in before I changed to am E rated tire and the truck rode better than stock.

Now that my tires are on, it's more stiff over bumps.

SB09

Reaction score
So you’re at 2.6 lift ?

Plus 1” or whatever the spacer on top of the spring adds. It’s right at 3.5” total. Maybe a little under.

Users who are viewing this thread