5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4x4 Operation in Ram '22 1500 Limited

MarkD-Limited

Reaction score
Hey guys, new Ram owner here... just traded my '18 F150 Lariat. This may sound like a dumb question, but I can't find the answer in my manual. What is the proper shifting/engaging procedure for AWD/4HI/4LO? It just states that, "If any of the requirements to select new transfer case position have not been met, then the transfer case will not shift." BUT, it doesn't state anywhere what those "requirements " are...? It doesn't state shift on the fly, put in Neutral, shift below a certain speed, or anything.... even for 4LO...??? Maybe I just overlooked it?
Thanks for the help and a great forum for info!
~ Mark

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
4 auto/4hi. Shift at any speed in any gear.

For 4auto/4hi...it is best to be moving...leave off the accelerator and push the button. Some say you need to hold it for a second...some say you just push it.

It can be done stopped...but best to be atleast slightly moving.

4low. Only make the shift in neutral bellow 5 mph.

It is best to be slightly coasting in neutral for 4low. But can be done stopped....MUST be in NEUTRAL.

MarkD-Limited

Reaction score
4 auto/4hi. Shift at any speed in any gear.

For 4auto/4hi...it is best to be moving...leave off the accelerator and push the button. Some say you need to hold it for a second...some say you just push it.

It can be done stopped...but best to be atleast slightly moving.

4low. Only make the shift in neutral bellow 5 mph.

It is best to be slightly coasting in neutral for 4low. But can be done stopped....MUST be in NEUTRAL.
Thank you sir! Can't find that in the '22 manual anywhere. I appreciate it.

Users who are viewing this thread