5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4WD Shifting Procedure

CodeTHR33

Reaction score
The ‘Shifting Procedure’ under the Four Wheel Drive section in the manual seems to be missing the actual procedure. I only see the heading and a couple of notes listed. Maybe it’s somewhere else and I’m missing it? Does anyone know the procedure for shifting into low range? Do I need to be completely stopped first? Or just below a certain mph? Is there a supplemental manual for 4WD that came out that I maybe missed? I searched the forum for ‘Shifting Procedure’ and ‘4WD Shifting’ and couldn’t find anything relevant. I know for 4WD Auto and 4WD High, I can shift on the fly because I’ve done that, but I’m not sure about low range.

Attachments

• CA1DC89D-0706-4A03-8EFE-4FCA2794D5A8.jpeg
    CA1DC89D-0706-4A03-8EFE-4FCA2794D5A8.jpeg
    182.6 KB · Views: 52
  • 2C6BE09A-40DA-4A1D-8E6C-B7A298F0C716.jpeg
    2C6BE09A-40DA-4A1D-8E6C-B7A298F0C716.jpeg
    99.8 KB · Views: 52
R

Rob5589

Low range should be stopped and trans in neutral for it to shift. I honestly haven't read the manual on the process, that is just what I have always done. I know for sure if you attempt to shift to low while the trans is in gear, it will tell you to shift to N to complete the transfer case shift.

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
You have to be transmission in neutral but rolling very slowly. Like so slow you expect to stop any second. Walking speed. You'll know if you're too fast because you'll get a big nasty message on the dash display telling you it didn't shift.

When I tested mine, I went to 4H and drove a bit and then slowed to a crawl , shifted transmission to N, and then hit 4L, and got error messages because their idea of crawl is a lot slower than what I consider crawling.

jabara572

Reaction score
I found i have to hold the 4 low button to get it to switch reliably. Shift to nuetral, hold 4Lo button for a second or two and itll shift. I can keep hittin that button 10 or more time and it wont go, but holding it on mine seems to do the trick. 4Hi works just by driving slowly and hitting the button

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I found i have to hold the 4 low button to get it to switch reliably. Shift to nuetral, hold 4Lo button for a second or two and itll shift. I can keep hittin that button 10 or more time and it wont go, but holding it on mine seems to do the trick. 4Hi works just by driving slowly and hitting the button
With most 4WD vehicles, it helps to be rolling forward at very low speed when shifting in/out of Lo. I’ve only gone there maybe once on my Ram.

R

Rob5589

Same with mine. Hold for about 1 sec. Only low, 4hi is a simple push.

CodeTHR33

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I appreciate the input. I checked the manual for the 2020 model and the 4WD shifting procedure is missing from it as well. Would be nice if FCA would issue a supplement. Based on what I’m reading, it’s possible that you actually do have to hold the button for 4-Lo. Or at least that works better maybe? Would be nice to see the actual FCA procedure.

jabara572

Reaction score
With most 4WD vehicles, it helps to be rolling forward at very low speed when shifting in/out of Lo. I’ve only gone there maybe once on my Ram.

In past vehicles and my JKU Jeep that has been needed. I have not had any problems getting into 4Low in the RAM just stopped in neutral for whatever its worth.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
In past vehicles and my JKU Jeep that has been needed. I have not had any problems getting into 4Low in the RAM just stopped in neutral for whatever its worth.
IIRC correctly, mine worked at the press of the button without rolling too.

Users who are viewing this thread