5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4WD Not Working Properly

mattcam1

Reaction score
For the last few weeks my 4WD has been acting weird. When I push 4 Auto, 4 High and 4 Low I hear it engage, but the buttons just blink. I drive around a little and can definitely tell I'm in 4 high even though the 2wd light is solid and 4 high is blinking. Every now and then the "Service 4WD" message pops up. Has anybody has this happen to them?

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I've never had this problem. Maybe someone else can chime in. Do you still have power train warranty? If not, you can try disconnected the battery for 30 minutes to reset the PCM.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This doesn’t help you, but I just want to say again that I HATE the 48-11 transfer case. It’s the only thing that makes me hate this truck. Very frustrating when you spend extra for a 4x4 and what you get is a handicapped piece of garbage that overheats and has other issues every time you use it.

Rant over.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Randomly pushing 4x4 low is gonna cause you issues.

From what you said, I can not be sure you know. So just for information I will mention

You must be in transmission neutral to engage 4x4 low.

The whole light thing is something I rarely pay attention too.

All of my 4x4 trucks have had a lever. The early ones had nothing more than the position of the lever to tell me what mode I was in.

I use that to this day.

Obviously the new 1500 only has push button selection. Aggravating is the advances in trucks.

Got to make them fool proof for the masses...and then this is the headache people end up with

Good luck with your issues.

Not sure how many miles your truck has, but speed sensors and wheel bearings on the fritz ultimately cause issues for 4x4

mattcam1

Reaction score
This doesn’t help you, but I just want to say again that I HATE the 48-11 transfer case. It’s the only thing that makes me hate this truck. Very frustrating when you spend extra for a 4x4 and what you get is a handicapped piece of garbage that overheats and has other issues every time you use it.

Rant over.
Doesn't help but I'm glad I'm not the only one that hates the transfer case too lol

MikeyHo808

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For the last few weeks my 4WD has been acting weird. When I push 4 Auto, 4 High and 4 Low I hear it engage, but the buttons just blink. I drive around a little and can definitely tell I'm in 4 high even though the 2wd light is solid and 4 high is blinking. Every now and then the "Service 4WD" message pops up. Has anybody has this happen to them?
I have been experiencing the exact same issue for the last two months, with no remedy from service as of yet. They said it was repaired, but I threw the 4WD Service light again before I even left the parking lot. My issue got “elevated” to someone, and have yet to get my system working right.
As per the owners manual (pages 170-172) if your status indicator continues to blink, the transfer case has not engaged and there is an issue with the 4WD System.
Nice to know I’m not the only one with this issue, and no fix🤦🏻‍♂️

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I found out I have this issue when my 4WD wouldn’t engage during a snow/ice storm.

Dealer diagnosed a bad transfer case actuator, I take it back in 2 weeks for replacement.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Had it fixed today, 4WD works again.

Turns out the service advisor misinformed me. They replaced the front axle disconnect actuator (68399418aa)

Reactions: c3k

Jeff1322

Reaction score
I had the same issue but mine eventually went into 4low when I repeatedly kept trying. The dealer said it was just stuck from lack of use and I should shift into 4 wheel monthly to keep it from sticking. I have not had the problem since.

H2OMAN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You're gonna have to take it to the shop dude. It's almost impossible to diagnose electronics without a computer. Also, I assume you know this so no offense intended. You have to be about stopped and in neutral to shift into 4lo.

matt.weingart

Reaction score
I am having the same problem. My transfer case is working but the front actuator is not. The dealer replaced it and now it is intermittently working. I am waiting on a loaner car as the dealer wants to keep it a couple days.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mattiusmaximus1216

Reaction score
48-11 or 48-12 doesn’t matter. Electronic 4wd systems will have problems. Most of the time it has to do with the solenoid. Usually the housing to the actuator is plastic with a rubber ring sealing it. Plastic cracks and soon as you get a tiny bit of moisture in the housing it starts rusting the electronics and solenoid.

All my tacomas had this issue. Toyotas have the best 4wd and their actuators are known to have this issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online