5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

475ft-lbs

raven_DT

Reaction score
Godzilla.JPG
No, not with the 5.7... Ram drug its feet on the *new* gen Ram 2500 (smaller cab, 6 speed auto) so I jumped on the 2020 Super Duty 7.3 with 10 speed. Maybe one day we can return to the Ram family (owned 3). The 5th gen Ram 1500s are outstanding trucks, we just outgrew our 1/2 ton payload. Best to everyone!

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The new 1500 ecodiesel makes 480ft/lbs and you can get great mileage.

How much payload do you need? Some of the AISIN 3500 rams with the HO make 1000ft/lb of torque.

raven_DT

Reaction score
The new 1500 ecodiesel makes 480ft/lbs and you can get great mileage.

How much payload do you need? Some of the AISIN 3500 rams with the HO make 1000ft/lb of torque.
I think the Cummins 6.7 is best diesel engine available in the 3/4 and 1 ton market. However, I use my truck as a daily driver so throw in short trips, regens, 12qt oil changes and $100 fuel filters, I decided to go gas. We tow light (6500#) and we tow 8-10 times a year. We were pushing 1800# in payload in 1500 so with growing kids and a trip to New England we decided to make the change to a 3/4 truck. I drove a megacab 6.4 w 3.73 and was underwhelmed, perhaps spoiled by the 5.7 w 3.92 . Also the 2019-2020 Ram 2500 crew cabs use the 4th gen 1500 cab which is noticeably smaller than the comparable Ford or GM HD cabs.
1500 ecodiesels have less payload capacity than my 5.7 Big Horn. So that was a no go.
I can field questions, since I feel like a Ram mole, about the 7.3. Thank goodness that premium fuel at Costco yesterday was $1.75 per gal., showing about 13mpg on a green engine coming home yesterday. Now if gas prices can stay that way for the next 4 years

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I think the Cummins 6.7 is best diesel engine available in the 3/4 and 1 ton market. However, I use my truck as a daily driver so throw in short trips, regens, 12qt oil changes and $100 fuel filters, I decided to go gas. We tow light (6500#) and we tow 8-10 times a year. We were pushing 1800# in payload in 1500 so with growing kids and a trip to New England we decided to make the change to a 3/4 truck. I drove a megacab 6.4 w 3.73 and was underwhelmed, perhaps spoiled by the 5.7 w 3.92 . Also the 2019-2020 Ram 2500 crew cabs use the 4th gen 1500 cab which is noticeably smaller than the comparable Ford or GM HD cabs.
1500 ecodiesels have less payload capacity than my 5.7 Big Horn. So that was a no go.
I can field questions, since I feel like a Ram mole, about the 7.3. Thank goodness that premium fuel at Costco yesterday was $1.75 per gal., showing about 13mpg on a green engine coming home yesterday. Now if gas prices can stay that way for the next 4 years
Which axle ratio did you go with? That gasser can be had with a 4.30 (stump puller!), but I’m guessing you didn’t pick that one.

RainDesert

Reaction score
View attachment 53132
No, not with the 5.7... Ram drug its feet on the *new* gen Ram 2500 (smaller cab, 6 speed auto) so I jumped on the 2020 Super Duty 7.3 with 10 speed. Maybe one day we can return to the Ram family (owned 3). The 5th gen Ram 1500s are outstanding trucks, we just outgrew our 1/2 ton payload. Best to everyone!
I follow the Ford SD gasser stuff and I'm curious how the 7.3 reports come back this year. Seems to be very liked so far. I'm with you on the Ram HD Cab for sure, but the 8spd behind the 6.4 is super smooth and drives great IMO. I just can't believe Ram HD still has the old cab, the rear bench is why I don't want one. Ram needs the flat floor and full rear bench like the 1500's.

raven_DT

Reaction score
Which axle ratio did you go with? That gasser can be had with a 4.30 (stump puller!), but I’m guessing you didn’t pick that one.
I was looking for a particular configuration and the truck that I found had the 3.55 e locker in it. Not sure how I will like the e locker, I thonk I would prefer the LSD since I'm not doing any off roading. TFL was saying that the different in MPGs between the 3.73 and the 4.30 was only 1-2 mpg... BTW put about 40 miles on the truck this am...still hovering around 13 mpg (with some idling)...

raven_DT

Reaction score
It does have the 5th wheel prep...just in case.:cool: Wife noticed that and immediately said we are not getting a 5th wheel... I * think* she meant we are not getting a 5th wheel right now...:) Work to be done.

raven_DT

Reaction score
I follow the Ford SD gasser stuff and I'm curious how the 7.3 reports come back this year. Seems to be very liked so far. I'm with you on the Ram HD Cab for sure, but the 8spd behind the 6.4 is super smooth and drives great IMO. I just can't believe Ram HD still has the old cab, the rear bench is why I don't want one. Ram needs the flat floor and full rear bench like the 1500's.
I completely agree, and I didnt mean to knock the 6.4 with the 8 speed. Just that the truck that I drove had the 3.73 and would have probably bought the truck if it had a 4.10 rear end. The mega cab 4wd is a heavy truck. The 5.7 w 3.92 really spoiled me as far as performance.

raven_DT

Reaction score
Well congratulations and I for one would love to see a couple of photos of the new truck please.
Prior to its maiden towing experience...
7.3_with Flagstaff.JPG
No, not really. Set the WDH up, flipped it down and adjusted to lowest setting... was hoping not to have to purchase a longer longer drop. Very close... Moved the TT up the drive way then back into parking spot. Towed like it wasn't even back there. :cool:

My1stHemi

Reaction score
Nice rig. Ford sure knows how to make a good truck. How are those halogen headlights?

Boston

Reaction score
It's interesting to see that some fleets typically with local city driving and HD with gasser. Verizon has a ton of 4500 Rams with 6.4 hemi for trucks with cherry pickers on to access phone poles. Cheaper to buy, Simpler design and maintenance counts for a lot.

raven_DT

Reaction score
I swore up and down that after the Big Horn (w LEDS) I would never own a truck wo LEDS... Next truck with have LEDs and be a RAM HD.

raven_DT

Reaction score
Averaged 8.9mpg (lie-o-meter) coming back from the coast this weekend (~400 miles). 8.7 mpg hand calc; idling for fuel stop (10 mins), 2X rest stops for bath room breaks (10mins ea), so I cant complain too much. I little underwhelmed with the 3.55 rear end. The 4.30 ratio is probably a better fit for the 7.3 and the 10speed. On center steering is numb, constant push/pull w semis on interstate. New 10 speed transmission pauses ~.5 sec before deciding what gear to downshift to. 5/16" safety clips wont clip onto hitch...have to use 5/8" shackles or hammerlocks... Uconnect vs Sync 3.0 is no comparison at all. Too bad Ram decided not to fit the current 5th gen HD with the 5th gen 1500 cab. My 5.7 w 3.92 was an excellent tow vehicle, just a bit short on payload. As Ram owners, we are very spoiled...especially after owning a 5th gen Ram.

My1stHemi

Reaction score
What mileage did you see towing with the ram? I’m renting a similar trailer this summer and am curious what I might expect to see.

raven_DT

Reaction score
What mileage did you see towing with the ram? I’m renting a similar trailer this summer and am curious what I might expect to see.
I would typically get 8.4 to 8.6mpg towing the same TT. The gen 5 1500 w5.7 3.92 is a very good towing platform.

Moparian

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I swore up and down that after the Big Horn (w LEDS) I would never own a truck wo LEDS... Next truck with have LEDs and be a RAM HD.
Grab you some Morimoto XD's for it, they look better than even the OEM LED's on the F-Series. I think Alpharex makes some as well.

My1stHemi

Reaction score
Grab you some Morimoto XD's for it, they look better than even the OEM LED's on the F-Series. I think Alpharex makes some as well.
I agree. Morimoto makes some good looking aftermarket headlights that actually have good optics rather than just good aesthetics. Though I didn’t see any for the ‘20+ models yet on their website.

Last edited:

Moparian

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I agree. Morimoto makes some good looking aftermarket headlights that actually have good optics rather than just good aesthetics. Though I didn’t see any for the ‘20+ models yet on their website.
http://www.morimotohid.com/ford-f250-f350-f450-superduty-xb-led-headlights-2017-2018.html 2017+, Ford hasnt changed the Heavy Dutys yet.
Alpharex has LED and Halogen Projectors(add LED bulbs for a 3rd of the price)

Users who are viewing this thread