5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

40 mpg...

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Seems like the pump must have been clicking off too early. Or something else is a miss here. I’ll be curious to see if they do it again.

Brianziggy64

Reaction score
Wow!!!!! I hope these numbers prove to be accurate!! If 40 mpg is possible on this engine, could this engine be a HEMI killer?? Meaning HEMI’s years are numbered?

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Fake News...you're not getting 40mpg out of a truck diesel engine. Maybe in another 10 years ;) Their methodology is flawed.

How? They do the same procedure every time. Their numbers always realistic on every other truck they test.

Their methodology is correct. Same pump. Same trip. Same everything.

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Run the full tank and then test it!

That’s no different in terms of how they are doing the test. They do it this way for a reason.

What’s likely happened is that there’s excess foam that’s tripping the pump, but if you actually watch the video (and have seen their other videos) then this is an interesting scenario.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Run the full tank and then test it!

You don't need to run a full tank to get accurate mpg. A 100 mile loop is fine, especially for comparable they have done before with other trucks. The only flaw I see is that that pump may not have allowed full fill-up.

They do realize 40 mpg is probably off and will do the test again. Their channel does a good job on real world mpg.

bgmshrm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You don't need to run a full tank to get accurate mpg. A 100 mile loop is fine, especially for comparable they have done before with other trucks. The only flaw I see is that that pump may not have allowed full fill-up.

They do realize 40 mpg is probably off and will do the test again. Their channel does a good job on real world mpg.
even 30 like the truck showed will be fine

Downytide

Reaction score

Can this be a fluke? Even if like they said there's issue with the tank, can it be off by that much? I can't wait to see actual mpg on an ecodiesel Rebel.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Downhill while driving with 2 wheels on the slippery painted line.

Granite5thgen

Reaction score
If they run it again and get 33+ its going to be a game changer...might have to jump ship...16 mpg with a 34 mile one way commute is killing me

ldoh

Reaction score
Maybe some day but this one probably was an operator error. The other possibility is FCA gaming TFL's loop but I think they already learned that lesson. The dash mpg display was converging on 30mpg at the end of the loop.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
If they run it again and get 33+ its going to be a game changer...might have to jump ship...16 mpg with a 34 mile one way commute is killing me

I was considering it as well, a Rebel Diesel sounds good to me, but I think if you factor in the deprecation costs and the additional costs of the diesel, it would take over a decade to get your money back. Plus the Hemi sounds better :)

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Just like buying an earlier Hybrid...it would take 7-10 years to break even. @SD Rebel ...you're a smart man, level headed and thinking about this logically so kudos to you my friend!

Users who are viewing this thread