5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

$3k over Hemi

VernDiesel

Reaction score
I think it was $2,600 over the Hemi when I ordered my 2014. Also read it’s about the same upcharge for the GM 3.0 diesel over the 5.3. Seems about right to me. What’s the Cummins over Hemi in an HD like $10k? Or the other brands Diesel engine cost over their gasser?

knightro84

Reaction score
The Cummins is a $9,100 option. The HO Cummins is $11,795. Powerstroke is a $9,120 option. Duramax is anywhere between $9,750 and $10,165 depending on trim level.

DavidNJ

Reaction score
The HD diesels are more powerful than their gas equivalents. They are in the same range as the engines in the 18-wheelers, but operating at higher engine speed (Ram engine peaks at 2800 rpm, X15 governed to 2000 rpm).

The FCA EcoDiesel is more of a passenger car engine. The price is comparable to Ford and Chevy, but still high. It will have a very low take rate. The old diesel was before the VW scandal. Now VW, MB, BMW, Porsche, and Audi diesels are gone from the US market. It doesn't have the same cachet anymore.

VernDiesel

Reaction score
The ED is a great engine for towing moderate half ton platform appropriate loads. 592,000 miles on mine towing TTs & boats commercially. (At 371k it pushed a head gasket likely due to low coolant from EGR cooler leak but otherwise fuel pump injector turbo etc no issues. This was an EPA caused issue not an engine problem per say) The truck is used daily for towing Airstreams mostly in the 5 to 7k range from Ohio to west coast. About 25 3/4 ton diesels in our company and 3 EDs. When kept to 65 mph the EDs are easily the most fuel efficient. BTW fuel is the number one expense in this business so it directly affects profit.

It is and will always be a low volume (max 10 percent of sales) nitch market engine. IE not to replace the Hemi or Pentastar but to round out the line up. Great for people who frequently tow moderate loads and or put on big mileage. Not so ideal for the daily short commute especially in a cold climate. Which is the other part of why the it’s a passenger car engine comment makes no sense to me. Other small diesels have been kept off shore by our too powerful over reaching EPA specifically and our Gov in general. As Reagan famously said more government is the problem. Practically speaking there is a great market here for long lived small fuel efficient diesels should the gov get out of the way.

Price of the ED option was a stone cold deal compared to a HD diesel or gas truck for my intended use.

Last edited:

DavidNJ

Reaction score
The ED is a great engine for towing moderate half ton platform appropriate loads. 592,000 miles on mine towing TTs & boats commercially. (At 371k it pushed a head gasket likely due to low coolant from EGR cooler leak but otherwise fuel pump injector turbo etc no issues. This was an EPA caused issue not an engine problem per say) The truck is used daily for towing Airstreams mostly in the 5 to 7k range from Ohio to west coast. About 25 3/4 ton diesels in our company and 3 EDs. When kept to 65 mph the EDs are easily the most fuel efficient. BTW fuel is the number one expense in this business so it directly affects profit.

It is and will always be a low volume (max 10 percent of sales) nitch market engine. IE not to replace the Hemi or Pentastar but to round out the line up. Great for people who frequently tow moderate loads and or put on big mileage. Not so ideal for the daily short commute especially in a cold climate. Which is the other part of why the it’s a passenger car engine comment makes no sense to me. Other small diesels have been kept off shore by our too powerful over reaching EPA specifically and our Gov in general. As Reagan famously said more government is the problem. Practically speaking there is a great market here for long lived small fuel efficient diesels should the gov get out of the way.

Price of the ED option was a stone cold deal compared to a HD diesel or gas truck for my intended use.

Agree with you 100%. Your mileage give you the operating cost advantage of big rig diesels and your trailers aren't so large as to make the power deficit an issue. After all, the EcoDiesel has approximately the same power and torque of Ram 3500 with the Cummins engine in the 1990s, just 20 years ago.

VernDiesel

Reaction score
Yeah and the exceptional 8 speed & 3.92 combo helps tremendously where the old diesels struggled with transmissions of the day. Also mine benefits from GDE engine & transmission tunes. This not only makes a Mfgr equivalent rating of about 268 HP 465 TQ but allows more of it to get through transmission nanny tuning to get to the wheels. And adds an excellent safety & useful turbo brake feature.

Once you learn to set up a WDH by CAT scale results for proper steer axle & tongue weight with your TT attached you have a very competent & efficient towing set up.

Users who are viewing this thread