5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3400 PSI Pressure Washer

gthomas719

Reaction score
Just got a new Dewalt 3400 PSI pressure washer from a buddy, was wondering if it would be too powerful to use on the truck for washing? If it is not, what would be the best tip to use on it as to not cause damage when washing it. Sorry for the noob question, never power washed a car before.

flyfingers

Reaction score
If you do use a PW best bet is to use the 25 degree tip. Holding the tip at 1' and using 3,400 psi should reduce the pressure to around 600 psi on the paint and moving back to 3' will reduce it to about 3 times the pressure of your standard garden hose. So yes, you can use a PW on your car but just use the wide 25* nozzle and (if it were me), I'd get no closer than about 2' from the paint and probably keep it around 3' in reality. I detailed cars way way way back in my younger yrs and often used a PW to clean heavy dirt first before moving on to the good old bucket / rag.

Wakesnowb

Reaction score
No experience here with PWs but with how thin the clear coat is on these trucks I would be very hesitant.

WasatchBack

Reaction score
I use a 3400 psi pw. 40 degree on paint and wheels, 25 degree on wheel wells. Not going to do any damage if you are 2-3 feet back. 1 ft you could possibly if staying in one place.

gthomas719

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I got one of those fancy foam cannons and some smelly good soap to soak her down with too. I will go carefully my first time doing it. The eventual goal is to get it ceramic coated after I get the skid plate swapped to a black one.

SemperGumby

Reaction score
I use a 3100 psi PW with the 40* tip, but if you are wearing sunglasses and think you are hitting a bug splat that turns out to be a slight rock chip you can run into issues, ask me how I know
MVIMG_20190818_153103~2.jpg

WhiteLaramie2020

Reaction score
1000 psi is the standard with as much Flow (GPM) as you can get. 3400 psi is way to much but your prolly not around that from the factory ( they rate it up to its potential so in other words a 3400PSI 2.3GPM PW is only going to achieve one or the other 3400PSI @ say 1.0 GPM or 700 PSI @ Say 2.3 GPM (not actually what you'll get just making the point). It depends on the nozzle orifice. Look up Matt Moreman at Obsessed Garage on Youtube/website, he does a whole series on pressure washers and even has a spreadsheet on his findings to get that happy medium ( shooting for 1000PSI and the most Flow possible). You will be fine with the dewalt as long as your not too close like ours have stated but keep it moving.

Chopperbobby

Reaction score
3100 here use foam cannon and 40 tip Just stay 2 fee away not problems yet in last 10 year on two jeeps and new ram. As stated above. watch what you are doing. If you hit a spot that wont come clean (bugs,grass, tar) resist at all cost to move closer and knock it off. Get your car cleaning mitt and use that instead.

Users who are viewing this thread