5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

33s or 35s inch tires and leveling kits

Truck$-4life

Reaction score
So I am debating on getting either 33s or 35 inch tires. I know if I get 35s I'll probably have to do a gear ratio tune so it last with out problems . I'm pretty sure I have the standard gear ratio. Right now it came with 31 inch tires. If I just level it and do 33s would I still have to have someone change the gear ratio ? Also how much total height wise would it change everything. I have a 7. Foot tall garage and I believe even with the shark fin I have 5 inches of clearance. Does a leveling kit really change the overal height when I'm only bringing the front up 2 inches?

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
might get in the middle and get 34 by 12s. and dont have to worry anout trimming or adding to much weight

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
With 33s you can get 4ply. Won’t hurt your mpg as much

Truck$-4life

Reaction score
Another quick question. So I'm looking at zone uca's and it says for 14 to 21 right. But is that for the classic or for all models. Cause I'm trying to find some good uca and zone seems to be the best for a 2 inch lift. Anyways. Thanks

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was runing 33x12.5 on my previous 4gen with 3.21 gears for 3 years and no issue.
Currently have 33's on my 2021 off road group and level. Next tire change i will go with 34 to fill more the wheel well.

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Oh and 33 plus level you won't have an issue with you 7ft tall garage.
Probably 35 as well but maybe some else can confirm

Truck$-4life

Reaction score
What's the best uca to go with the level? I'm looking between the ion deta ball and the bds 2 to 4 inch lift uca. Idk if the delta ball is okay with only a 2 inch lift..

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I did motofab too hat spacers with no uca change. I don’t off-road so it was perfect for me

Lpsouth1978

Reaction score
I also used Motofab top hat spacers (3"front/2"rear) and used the rough country UCA's. I am running 35's, but I am not sure it would fit in a 7' garage.

20220108_094137.jpg

Truck$-4life

Reaction score
I also used Motofab top hat spacers (3"front/2"rear) and used the rough country UCA's. I am running 35's, but I am not sure it would fit in a 7' garage.

View attachment 127836
I don't off road either. But I have measured and with only 2 inches in the front and nothin in the back and 34's I should have like 2 and a half inches to spare. I am leaning on jba uca or just spcs since they adjust for alignment. Since I plan on switching rims n tires for winter I think it would be the best to ajust when changing that. Kinda sketched out on em coming loose tho

Lpsouth1978

Reaction score
4 ply refers to the number of rubber layers a tire has. The more ply, the heavier the tire and the more pressure and weight the tire is rated to. Most passenger tires are going to be 4 ply, while LT, E rated, etc. will be more. My E rated tires are a 10 ply. Downside is that they are heavier reducing you mpg and they take away some from the ride comfort.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yep. My 6 ply 305/55x20 Ridge Grapplers only weigh 51 lbs per tire. The same size F rated, 12 ply tires weigh 64 lbs each. I don't tow heavy trailers or carry heavy loads in my truck, so the 6 ply tires work better for me.

puba08

Reaction score
Skip the puck spacers and go adjustable shocks.
The Zone UCAs fit both 4Gen and 5Gen body styles (I called them, they confirmed and I transferred them from 4th to 5th).
As far as tires try looking up 275/65R20 (34x11) or 35x11.5R20 if you are running stock rims. No trimming or rubbing on stock rims and a level.
I wouldn’t even think about re-gearing unless I was going 37’s w/ a 6” lift.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Florida RAM

Reaction score
Here's my 2" Motofab front level with 275/60/20 (33") tires. The spacers did not change the ride quality. I think I'll eventually upgrade 34s at some point. To me, 35's look too stuffed in there for a basic level. 35's look perfect on the 3.5" lift.

Leveled Ram.jpg

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Here's my 2" Motofab front level with 275/60/20 (33") tires. The spacers did not change the ride quality. I think I'll eventually upgrade 34s at some point. To me, 35's look too stuffed in there for a basic level. 35's look perfect on the 3.5" lift.

View attachment 128462
Looks great. Did you recalibrate your speedometer?

Florida RAM

Reaction score
Looks great. Did you recalibrate your speedometer?
No. With 33" tires it's only off by about 1.5-2.5mph. That's close enough for me. If I go to 34's it will be off by 4-5mph at highway speeds. Then I'll recalibrate the speedo.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I am running Zone Off-road UCAs. They fit great. Got them for a steal on local marketplace BNIB.

Anytime to change tire size, it is recommended to adjust the tire size in your truck to fix speedo and odometer error. Without the ORP package, Not sure if you will clear 35's without trimming, even with level.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
No. With 33" tires it's only off by about 1.5-2.5mph. That's close enough for me. If I go to 34's it will be off by 4-5mph at highway speeds. Then I'll recalibrate the speedo.
I will be installing 275 60r20's soon. I haven't decided on the recal yet. I'm most worried about the oil life system.

Maxum

Reaction score
So I am debating on getting either 33s or 35 inch tires. I know if I get 35s I'll probably have to do a gear ratio tune so it last with out problems . I'm pretty sure I have the standard gear ratio. Right now it came with 31 inch tires. If I just level it and do 33s would I still have to have someone change the gear ratio ? Also how much total height wise would it change everything. I have a 7. Foot tall garage and I believe even with the shark fin I have 5 inches of clearance. Does a leveling kit really change the overal height when I'm only bringing the front up 2 inches?
I have a Readylift SST 3.5" lift and after trying LT275/60/20's, I changed to a P rated in the same size.,.which equates to a 33" tire. Few reasons I went this route. First was gas mileage..35's and an LT weight tire, really eat into the mpgs. Second, 33's you have the choice of P or LT rated still, 35's you dont. Honestly, LT tires are overkill on these trucks unless you run it off road a lot or with a LOT of weight. Third, with the Readylift kit, the preload spacers stiffen up the suspension, so with LT tires, it felt like I was running cement tires, i just felt every pebble on the road and it hit potholes really hard. Possibly leveling shocks on the front and not the spacers would be a better combo with LT tires. Lastly, LT tires are just plain heavy, rough, not great in wet conditions normally. I just couldn't justify the LT tires over P rated with my driving style. I do haul my atv in the back and yes, P rated tires tend to be a little squishy if you don't air them up a little more, but nothing serious if you get good quality tires. The ride comfort the other 99% of the time is sooooo worth the little trade off of a stuffer tire for the 1% of time I tow or haul. 33's by the way look great with the 3.5" lift. It has some space, in the wheelwell still, but the 33' suits the look I find. 35's would fill that space more, but looks fine with 33's

Users who are viewing this thread