5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

305/55/20 Ridge Grapplers XL

Cajunhemi

Reaction score
Just put these on today, got them in the XL non E rated version. They are pretty good riding all things considered but no doubt you know they are there. Had 295/60/20Toyos at2 extreme last truck (15-f150) and these are louder for sure but not as stiff. Maybe noise is due to width but wanted biggest non E rated I could get so these are it. Jury is still out for me, will test them out more and see what kind of MPG hit I take. They look good but only 2nd guessing I’m doing is if they look too meaty/wide for the stock 20’s and minor level. Debated heavily on just going 275/60 but they are so narrow, if the 285/60 or 295/60 were xl too would have went that route. I’ll get more pics tomorrow, what’s y’all opinion?

Attachments

• D2EBFB8E-98F2-4A45-A4C9-114CD0AA1FA1.jpeg
    D2EBFB8E-98F2-4A45-A4C9-114CD0AA1FA1.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,665
  • A564C256-4A94-42BF-8568-7FED77D6DD61.jpeg
    A564C256-4A94-42BF-8568-7FED77D6DD61.jpeg
    998.6 KB · Views: 1,785

KWRIBoom

Reaction score
Just put these on today, got them in the XL non E rated version. They are pretty good riding all things considered but no doubt you know they are there. Had 295/60/20Toyos at2 extreme last truck (15-f150) and these are louder for sure but not as stiff. Maybe noise is due to width but wanted biggest non E rated I could get so these are it. Jury is still out for me, will test them out more and see what kind of MPG hit I take. They look good but only 2nd guessing I’m doing is if they look too meaty/wide for the stock 20’s and minor level. Debated heavily on just going 275/60 but they are so narrow, if the 285/60 or 295/60 were xl too would have went that route. I’ll get more pics tomorrow, what’s y’all opinion?

My opinion, you can never be too meaty/wide. I’ve got 295/60 Trail Grapplers on stock 20’s and couldn’t be happier.

Reactions: Laz

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Looks good, I plan on running the same exact tire on my stock 20s with a 3" level, also going to add some BORA wheel spacers to push the stance out a bit

thcmas35

Tracking order
Tracking order
Reaction score
These are top on my list and for the same reason as you listed, non-xl. I like the look! Can you post a pic along the side so that we can see the outter edge of the fender and the wheel? I'm planning aftermarket 20's but would like to see benchmark on stock offset and ridge grappler. Also, what method did you use to level your air suspension?

Cajunhemi

Reaction score
These are top on my list and for the same reason as you listed, non-xl. I like the look! Can you post a pic along the side so that we can see the outter edge of the fender and the wheel? I'm planning aftermarket 20's but would like to see benchmark on stock offset and ridge grappler. Also, what method did you use to level your air suspension?

Revel air links, started off at dead level, looked great but ride was too stiff. I’m about 1/2” or so of rake right now and in normal mode it’s fine OR1 still stiff on harsh bumps. I might come down another 1/8-1/4”, seems every turn softens the ride. I left rear alone. Pic is in OR1 mode. I sometimes have issues getting into OR2 but to be honest the ride is too harsh and now with the level it’s not needed. I have also since towed my tongue heavy 5,500ibs boat for 3 hour round trip and air system worked like a charm, no issues, no codes.

Loving the truck, only issues is drivers side led head light aiming up and not responding to the down adjustment since day one, need to get it in for that.

I’ll get more pics up later.

Thanks all...

Last edited:

Cajunhemi

Reaction score
My opinion, you can never be too meaty/wide. I’ve got 295/60 Trail Grapplers on stock 20’s and couldn’t be happier.

That’s my favorite size on stock wheels and a level, wish they made a non E rated model. These trucks ride so *** good I was trying to impact it the least.

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Revel air links, started off at dead level, looked great but ride was too stiff. I’m about 1/2” or so of rake right now and in normal mode it’s fine OR1 still stiff on harsh bumps. I might come down another 1/8-1/4”, seems every turn softens the ride. I left rear alone. Pic is in OR1 mode. I sometimes have issues getting into OR2 but to be honest the ride is too harsh and now with the level it’s not needed. I have also since towed my tongue heavy 5,500ibs boat for 3 hour round trip and air system worked like a charm, no issues, no codes.

Loving the truck, only issues is drivers side led head light aiming up and not responding to the down adjustment since day one, need to get it in for that.

Thanks all...
Whats the measurement from the ground to the wheel well opening at the front 38" - 39"? The tire size looks perfect for the height of the truck on the factory wheels. The picture is a little dark, it looks like the truck is billet silver, are the bumpers chrome or paint matched?

Celtic Sun

Reaction score
This has gotten my interest. What is the difference between the co and the e rated tires? I'm about to pull the trigger on a set of 295/60r20 ridge grapplers and before I buy them I figured I'd ask about this size.

Also, I checked on Nitto's website and unless I'm looking in the wrong spot, the only xl tire I saw was 305/50r20 xl. Am I missing something?

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This has gotten my interest. What is the difference between the co and the e rated tires? I'm about to pull the trigger on a set of 295/60r20 ridge grapplers and before I buy them I figured I'd ask about this size.

Also, I checked on Nitto's website and unless I'm looking in the wrong spot, the only xl tire I saw was 305/50r20 xl. Am I missing something?
Depends on what tire you're looking at you can get a 305 55 20 in both XL extra load or e rated in the terra grappler g2 or the ridge grappler. The e rated tires are equivalent to a 10 ply they handle about 600 to 800 lbs more load per tire the tred is about 1/4 " deeper 17/32 vs 13/32, the side walls tend be more aggressive and a lot stiffer, the e rated tires will also be about 15 lbs heavier than xl rated of the same size. Unfortunately there isn't as many options size wise for xl or p rated tires as e rated when you get above 275 wide if you want the xl ridge grappler get the 305 55 20 116Q the 116 is the load rating the higher the number the higher the load capacity and the Q is the speed rating z being the highest speed rating hope this helps

Cajunhemi

Reaction score
Whats the measurement from the ground to the wheel well opening at the front 38" - 39"? The tire size looks perfect for the height of the truck on the factory wheels. The picture is a little dark, it looks like the truck is billet silver, are the bumpers chrome or paint matched?

For proper measurement you should measure from wheel center to fender vs ground to center, with that said I don’t recall the measurements I’ll have to check later.

Billet silver with painted bumpers, pic is in OR1 so they look a little more meaty and stuffed in normal mode.

Cajunhemi

Reaction score

Biggest XL in ridge graps are 305/55, 295/60 are E rated. Ride will be just a little better with the XL vs E but performance (acceleration and braking) is much better with less weight plus MPG should not be hit as hard but time will tell.

Cajunhemi

Reaction score
Also forgot to mention, as of now, zero rubbing in any mode with mild level. These 305/55/20 are suppose to measure out to 33.23” x 12.44” so over a half inch taller then a standard 33” x 12.5” tire as that size typically actually measures out around 32.5-32.75” and nearly same width. Since these are XL they only weigh 51.5 ibs. But I will say the UCA is only about a 1/4” gap from tire. Would not want it any closer and I will be keeping an eye on it.

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For proper measurement you should measure from wheel center to fender vs ground to center, with that said I don’t recall the measurements I’ll have to check later.

Billet silver with painted bumpers, pic is in OR1 so they look a little more meaty and stuffed in normal mode.
Good call the measurement would be skewed a bit due to the different tire size. If i'm understanding you correctly when you're in OR1 The truck is leveled in the front during normal mode due to the links, then additional height is added on top of that for OR1, So probably about 3" higher in the front and 1" in the back over the factory normal setting without the leveling links? I bet the front end gets pretty stiff in OR1 now compared to stock OR1 setting.

thcmas35

Tracking order
Tracking order
Reaction score

Thanks all...
Did you happen to get any more pictures?
Any additional thoughts on them now that you have had them another week?

Cajunhemi

Reaction score
No additional pics. I’m kind of torn, I love the looks but was expecting the ride to be better since not being a E rated tire. I’ve aired them down to 33psi (Nitto said 32 would be equal to stock tires at 36) I find I just feel much more of the road imperfections and much stiffer. They roll smooth but bouncy is best way to describe. I’m not sure if E would not ride better aired down more. With that said I notice very little affect on acceleration and braking that is one positive with the XL weight. I’m wondering if the narrower 275/60 would ride better and if the width is the culprit. I’m also considering Terra G2 in a 275/65 and 275/60 in both ridge and G2, all XL non E, discount tire said I have a month to decide which is freaking awesome service IMO.

rcbundy9

Reaction score

Thanks all...
How are you liking the 305/55/20 so far? I have 285/55/22 ridge grapplers e rated and not a fan. Swapping for 305/45/22 terra grapplers xl 4 ply. I expect a much better ride but not sure if I’ll like the look. Going 20s with 305/55 if these don’t work.

Stefan

Reaction score
Hi Cajunhem
Are the Ridge graps level with the arches or sticking out ?
Cheers

dragon285

Reaction score
I just got my Ridge Grapplers installed today...got them at 285/50/20 XL. I wanted them just a little wider so i risked it and went with the 285's, and there is no rubbing inside the wheel well. These tires are on STOCK SUSPENSION, and I also have 2 inch spacers installed. Here are some pics....Cars dirty but i had to.

IMG_1261.JPEG IMG_1265.JPEG IMG_1266.JPEG IMG_1267.JPEG

Users who are viewing this thread