5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3.6L Single Exhaust muffler replacement help

EtherRam

Reaction score
Hey all,
I know 90% of muffler swaps on Rams are on the 5.7 but for the special minority of us that have the 3.6L I haven't been able to find anything about exhaust/muffler single exhaust swaps.

Does anyone know what the inlet/outlet is for the 3.6L? I'm looking at the Flowmaster 40 Delta Flow (promises a few more HP and torque) but I have no idea about the size (I think 3in) or the in/out

Thanks!
Also, if anyone has added any other mufflers please let me know how it sounds

taz2016

Reaction score
Mine measured about 2 15/16" O.D.
Flowmaster 717847, 717846, B2 Fabrications, and Mufflex all have direct fit replacements that require one cut behind the stock muffler. I have been unable to find anyone to respond to my former post on the subject with information as to how they sound. Let us know what you try and how you like it.

EtherRam

Reaction score
Mine measured about 2 15/16" O.D.
Flowmaster 717847, 717846, B2 Fabrications, and Mufflex all have direct fit replacements that require one cut behind the stock muffler. I have been unable to find anyone to respond to my former post on the subject with information as to how they sound. Let us know what you try and how you like it.
Thanks. It looks like from those images that it's a center inlet, offset outlet at about 3in.

I looked at the FlowFX but it seems like a lot of Hemi owners say it's barely louder than stock. If I go ahead with the Flowmaster 40 Delta Flow I'll post an update with the results. Probably just going to do the weld option since the direct bolt on options are limited.

taz2016

Reaction score
I installed the B2 Fabrication Magnaflow Muffler (DR-06) on my 2019 V-6 Bighorn last week. It was a quick and easy installation laying on my back with the back tires on my short (6") ramps. Although it is for the Hemi it fits perfectly on our Pentastar's.
The rest of the exhaust is stock including the resonator. My first thought from inside the cab was that I needed to paint my truck brown to match the UPS trucks that it kind of sounded like. After making this video and hearing what it sounds like outside it is kind of growing on me. I'll leave it on a while longer before I make my final decision.
Unlike some of the comments about this exhaust on the Hemi claiming it is not very loud I think there is plenty of volume. I was actually hoping it would be a little quieter.
The video is a cold start. You have to listen to the last few seconds to hear what idle sounds like.

https://youtu.be/dRi62AfvI2w

Last edited:

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hey all,
I know 90% of muffler swaps on Rams are on the 5.7 but for the special minority of us that have the 3.6L I haven't been able to find anything about exhaust/muffler single exhaust swaps.

Does anyone know what the inlet/outlet is for the 3.6L? I'm looking at the Flowmaster 40 Delta Flow (promises a few more HP and torque) but I have no idea about the size (I think 3in) or the in/out

Thanks!
Also, if anyone has added any other mufflers please let me know how it sounds

As mentioned, you can just change the muffler like many of the 5.7L guys do. Both the V8 & V6 trucks have single exhaust systems, the difference is the 5.7L is "faking it" for cosmetic reasons. The Hemi has a single downtube from the cat just like the V6, however it uses one muffler that has an exit that connects to a y-pipe for that twin tail pipe look. You can do the same as well if you like or just keep the single out.

I like the Flowmaster Outlaw myself, but their are plenty of different mufflers available to create that custom sound you want. I would contact a good muffler shop and get their recommendation. They will be able to quickly figure out the proper muffler to match your stock exhaust piping. Flowmaster and Magnaflow all have different tone mufflers in all the main tubing sizes. Then have them custom weld it in place. Should cost you no more than $275 - $300.

Last edited:

jb772

Reaction score
I installed the B2 Fabrication Magnaflow Muffler (DR-06) on my 2019 V-6 Bighorn last week. It was a quick and easy installation laying on my back with the back tires on my short (6") ramps. Although it is for the Hemi it fits perfectly on our Pentastar's.
The rest of the exhaust is stock including the resonator. My first thought from inside the cab was that I needed to paint my truck brown to match the UPS trucks that it kind of sounded like. After making this video and hearing what it sounds like outside it is kind of growing on me. I'll leave it on a while longer before I make my final decision.
Unlike some of the comments about this exhaust on the Hemi claiming it is not very loud I think there is plenty of volume. I was actually hoping it would be a little quieter.
The video is a cold start. You have to listen to the last few seconds to hear what idle sounds like.

The forum won't allow me to attach a mp.4 file. I have since tried a wav and an avi file. None are allowed? What type of files are allowed?

Can you post it on Youtube or Facebook and then post the link here? I'm curious to what it sounds like.

Smerberj

Reaction score
I just had a 40 series installed not 2 hours ago. Sounds good on the Pentastar, the muffler shop mechanic was impressed by the outcome (he's never done a 2020 Pentastar). It sounds good, not raspy at all and almost no drone on the interstate. The only thing that is "interesting" to me is the start/stop with the muffler. Pretty silly how it cuts out in traffic and roars to life once I start rolling.

jb772

Reaction score
I just had a 40 series installed not 2 hours ago. Sounds good on the Pentastar, the muffler shop mechanic was impressed by the outcome (he's never done a 2020 Pentastar). It sounds good, not raspy at all and almost no drone on the interstate. The only thing that is "interesting" to me is the start/stop with the muffler. Pretty silly how it cuts out in traffic and roars to life once I start rolling.

Can you upload a sound clip?

EtherRam

Reaction score
I posted it on the forums. It's just start up and idle. I'll get one with revs later.
Thanks for the heads up. Can you post a link to the flowmaster 40 that you bought? That's what I've been looking at getting. Center inlet, offset outlet?

Smerberj

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up. Can you post a link to the flowmaster 40 that you bought? That's what I've been looking at getting. Center inlet, offset outlet?
I didn't buy it online, I took my truck to the muffler shop, told the guy what I wanted, and he placed my truck on his lift, looked at my exhaust layout and chose the appropriate muffler replacement. I'm having a Super 10 put on -on- Monday, it's going in the place of the stock resonator, I will post a video once it's done.

rgberg

Reaction score
Found a video of someone who installed the Flowmaster 40 series on their 2019 Ram 1500 Classic 3.6L V6:

orange01z28

Reaction score
Found a video of someone who installed the Flowmaster 40 series on their 2019 Ram 1500 Classic 3.6L V6:
That actually sounds pretty good. I know a guy who put exhaust on his V6 Charger and it sounded like hot garbage

taz2016

Reaction score
What is the part number? I can't find a Corsa system for our 5th gen Pentastars.

Lil'Mike

Reaction score
What is the part number? I can't find a Corsa system for our 5th gen Pentastars.

It’s 21036, or 21036BLK for the black exhaust tip. I have the BLK kit. Because the resonator for the Pentastar is after the muffler, and is removed as part of installation for the Corsa kit, it’s essentially the extreme sound level, not Sport. The 5.7’s resonators are before the muffler, which is why they also sell the 21037 resonator delete, which will not fit our trucks.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread