5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3.6l E-Torque open discussions

Pentarod

Reaction score
I'm on my second pentastar Ram1500. Just sold my 2013 tradesman crew cab. Just bought a 2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn Sport Quad Cab 4x4 e-torque pentastar 23Z package in billet silver metallic clearcoat. Has 3.55 gears with antislip differential, level 1 group with 20" chrome clad aluminum wheels. Great Truck Great Price. Had some initial concerns about the e-torque technology. I've learned it's made by Continental, here's a link https://www.continental-automotive....owertrain/Electrification/48-Volt-Mild-Hybrid. It replaces the traditional starter motor and alternator and uses a 3:1 ratio to establish the 90 ft lbs of torque at the crank. I can warn all, it's faster than you think due to the smoothness. Today in a tight traffic scenario, I had to jump on it a little from a start inside a small space cushion syncing into traffic making a right turn from a red light. When I hit the brakes I was gaining on the stopped car ahead real fast, faster than expected, almost too fast. Be careful you can underestimate it and ram your ram. Although may 2013 felt real snappy, I could pull this off easily without concern. It felt like the motor was still charging between coming off the gas and on the brakes. Not expected, won't do that again. Now back to my disscussion. I was hoping others could chime with wit other interesting details. For example, another thing I learned is it has a build in invertor that creates variable frequencies to deliver precise power and rpm's that is so reactive it can actually sync to to each part of each cylinders power stroke (intake, compression, power and exhaust) in a fashion than gains a smooth and consistent spin of the engine, not chunky as a non assisted motor. I believe less slowing down and speeding up of the crankshaft conserves energy. Sorry guys, I'm not always the technically intense and nutty, but can get on a role from time to time. maybe some could have learned about longevity, component pricing, etc. Besides that, have about 260 miles of very careful break in. Withe very gentle driving, I could average about 23.5 mpg 50% hwy at 60 mpg and signal to signal driving with about 1/2 mile average spacing 50%. On the freeway at 60 it was coming in around 27-30, at 65 it fall quite down to 24-27 on flat land no head wind. Another observation I made on the new Ram was the motor temp. The 2013 ran hot, 219-224 F on a 100 degree day, more towing. The new one started off spiking at about 220 on a 97 degree day. Now after a brief break in, it's staying around 197 on a 102 degree day, no longer spiking. I'm kind of figuring FCA worked on the temperature management one the revised pentastar. If where all lucky, we won't all fall prey to a blown head gaskets before a couple hundred thousand miles like some posts indicate.

Pentarod

Reaction score
Continental is a quality company, they make the best road bike tires with their black chile rubber compound. Grips well on wet roads.
I'm hoping the 3.6l etorque system isn't riddled with issues. The postings don't look good for the hemi e-torque system. The Hemi etrorque is made by an Italian name company I can't remember. I'm sure FCA will eventually have a fix. Feel sorry those that don't get to enjoy their new Rams meanwhile.

lowell3170

lowell3170
Reaction score
I'm on my second pentastar Ram1500. Just sold my 2013 tradesman crew cab. Just bought a 2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn Sport Quad Cab 4x4 e-torque pentastar 23Z package in billet silver metallic clearcoat. Has 3.55 gears with antislip differential, level 1 group with 20" chrome clad aluminum wheels. Great Truck Great Price. Had some initial concerns about the e-torque technology. I've learned it's made by Continental, here's a link https://www.continental-automotive....owertrain/Electrification/48-Volt-Mild-Hybrid. It replaces the traditional starter motor and alternator and uses a 3:1 ratio to establish the 90 ft lbs of torque at the crank. I can warn all, it's faster than you think due to the smoothness. Today in a tight traffic scenario, I had to jump on it a little from a start inside a small space cushion syncing into traffic making a right turn from a red light. When I hit the brakes I was gaining on the stopped car ahead real fast, faster than expected, almost too fast. Be careful you can underestimate it and ram your ram. Although may 2013 felt real snappy, I could pull this off easily without concern. It felt like the motor was still charging between coming off the gas and on the brakes. Not expected, won't do that again. Now back to my disscussion. I was hoping others could chime with wit other interesting details. For example, another thing I learned is it has a build in invertor that creates variable frequencies to deliver precise power and rpm's that is so reactive it can actually sync to to each part of each cylinders power stroke (intake, compression, power and exhaust) in a fashion than gains a smooth and consistent spin of the engine, not chunky as a non assisted motor. I believe less slowing down and speeding up of the crankshaft conserves energy. Sorry guys, I'm not always the technically intense and nutty, but can get on a role from time to time. maybe some could have learned about longevity, component pricing, etc. Besides that, have about 260 miles of very careful break in. Withe very gentle driving, I could average about 23.5 mpg 50% hwy at 60 mpg and signal to signal driving with about 1/2 mile average spacing 50%. On the freeway at 60 it was coming in around 27-30, at 65 it fall quite down to 24-27 on flat land no head wind. Another observation I made on the new Ram was the motor temp. The 2013 ran hot, 219-224 F on a 100 degree day, more towing. The new one started off spiking at about 220 on a 97 degree day. Now after a brief break in, it's staying around 197 on a 102 degree day, no longer spiking. I'm kind of figuring FCA worked on the temperature management one the revised pentastar. If where all lucky, we won't all fall prey to a blown head gaskets before a couple hundred thousand miles like some posts indicate.
What is your mpg from fill up to fill up.

Smerberj

Reaction score
I'm loving my Pentastar Etorque, great power, smooth shifts, and actually fun to drive. I'm willing to bet it would hold it's own against my old 2008 5.3L Silverado. I know for a fact it would smoke a 5.3L Avalanche as I have done it, some jerk attempted to cut me off so I let her have it and left him behind, but those Avalanches are HEAVY trucks.

Users who are viewing this thread