5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3.21 used for #7,000gvwr travel trailer

Todd

Reaction score
Am I not allowing myself enough weight / wiggle room to tow my #5,210 dry weight /#7,000 gvwr Coachmen Apex 250RLS with my ram? I've not had a chance to check out the sticker yet on the door jam. My truck #'s are #6,900 gvwr, #1850 payload, #8,440, max tow# 13,900? I was towing it with a 2011 Tacoma Dbl cab #5350 gvwr , #1300 payload, max tow#6,500, hitch #550? I do use a Equalizer #10,000 weight distribution sway control hitch as well. We chose the ram for safety, comfort and quality reasons, and it was time to go to a half ton for a more safer towing experience. I've been towing 2.5 yrs with 8,500 miles under my belt with no issues. What am I doing wrong here as far as my upgrade #s
All replys will definitely be appreciated to my understanding of towing with the ram, in which I researched for a little over a year! Thanks in advance 5thgenram forum!

Last edited:

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Am I not allowing myself enough weight / wiggle room to tow my #5,210 dry weight /#7,000 gvwr Coachmen Apex 250RLS with my ram? I've not had a chance to check out the sticker yet on the door jam. My truck #'s are #6,900 gvwr, #1850 payload, #8,440, max tow# 13,900? I was towing it with a 2011 Tacoma Dbl cab #5350 gvwr , #1300 payload, max tow#6,500, hitch #550? I do use a Equalizer #10,000 weight distribution sway control hitch as well. We chose the ram for safety, comfort and quality reasons, and it was time to go to a half ton for a more safer towing experience. I've been towing 2.5 yrs with 8,500 miles under my belt with no issues. What am I doing wrong here as far as my upgrade #s
All replys will definitely be appreciated to my understanding of towing with the ram, in which I researched for a little over a year! Thanks in advance 5thgenram forum!
If you could, put the specs of your truck in your signature. @mikemcfarland hasn't made no announcements lately.

I would say that your trailer is evenly matched to your truck. Watch payload placement, and keep cargo down in the camper and/or spread evenly.

Todd

Reaction score
If you could, put the specs of your truck in your signature. @mikemcfarland hasn't made no announcements lately.

I would say that your trailer is evenly matched to your truck. Watch payload placement, and keep cargo down in the camper and/or spread evenly.
Will definitely be posting sticker, once I get home later today! I thought that's what I figured when I researched before our new to us ram.
Thanks devildodge!

Todd

Reaction score
Sounds to me your doing it all correctly. I would think if you had no problem with the Taco, then the Ram should be even more capable and I agree completely with what @devildodge previously stated.
Yea when I was figuring out my current setup with my old midsize truck, I knew I definitely had to be bettering ourselves while being safer and more convenient for my type of camping with just me and my wife only. Packing only for full hook up camprounds to stay at, let alone some very well equipped state parks, due to the fact that we are now wanting to expand our travels out west from the Carolinas. The Yota just wasn't going to allow us to expand our travels.

Todd

Reaction score
I have a similar setup.

Nash 18L
4,500lb dry
7,500 gvwr

3.21 gears

Waiting for camping season. Hope I made the right choice!
Iambone, Hopefully things work out for you and your family, cause camping season is almost upon us here as well in the Carolinas. I realized from researching, going to a lower gear ratio would not make much difference in MPGs. after what I experienced with a 3.73 gear ratio in a V6/ 4.0L. The 3.93 only offer's a better towing experience. But we tow mostly in flat regions. I realize I'm gambling and may regret not going with the 3.92 gear ratio Ram offer's, but I'm willing to take the chance and gamble on my #'s I've dealt myself. So glad I chose the Ram Power! Over the other competition. By the way what's your payload sticker capacity say?

Last edited:

lambone

Reaction score
My stickered payload is #1442

I have added some sftermarket products which have lowered that number. I plan to get my truck weighed as soon as I’m done with my mods.

LineX plus Backflip cover
Amp Power Steps
Bigger wheels and tires

I’m guessing I’m closer to #1150 remaining payload now.

2wd

Reaction score
Todd you should be good to go with that setup.

You can't go by the payload ratings online (only the max tow ratings are consistent across various trucks set up the same way). You've got to check the door jam which is specific to your truck config (tires, options, etc).

Looking at your options I'm going to guess your payload is in the high 1700's which should be ample for that trailer. I'm new to the 5.7 also but I've read that 87 octane is perfectly fine but for max power (towing north of 5K) you'll want to run the recommended 89.

Todd

Reaction score
Todd you should be good to go with that setup.

You can't go by the payload ratings online (only the max tow ratings are consistent across various trucks set up the same way). You've got to check the door jam which is specific to your truck config (tires, options, etc).

Looking at your options I'm going to guess your payload is in the high 1700's which should be ample for that trailer. I'm new to the 5.7 also but I've read that 87 octane is perfectly fine but for max power (towing north of 5K) you'll want to run the recommended 89.
Thanks 2wd, I'm looking forward to experienceing the power and how well the ram will preform with showing it's self strong in capability to tackle my needs.

trainman

Reaction score
Being a person that has been pulling travel trailers for years in most cases it's where you carry the added weight in both the trailer and the tow vehicle, that be said, a balanced level pulling vehicle and trailer is what you want.

trainman

Todd

Reaction score
Being a person that has been pulling travel trailers for years in most cases it's where you carry the added weight in both the trailer and the tow vehicle, that be said, a balanced level pulling vehicle and trailer is what you want.

trainman
Thanks trainman, even though placement of the items your hauling is important, properly readjusted hitch made me very happy with my decision to go from midsize to the full sized truck. Hitch is getting readjusted this weekend.

Rick3019

Reaction score
I did the same thing. Had a 2015 Chevy Colorado pulling a 4,400 lb dry weight camper with 2 scooters in the bed. It could pull the weight but had a hard time fighting the wind out on the interstate that’s why I went with the Ram. Only pulled camper 1 time last fall had a smile on my face the whole time night and day difference. I am adding airbags because of the scooters in the bed

Attachments

• DB1BD043-88E0-4601-B108-2AE5EDD07218.png
    DB1BD043-88E0-4601-B108-2AE5EDD07218.png
    294 KB · Views: 13

Todd

Reaction score
I did the same thing. Had a 2015 Chevy Colorado pulling a 4,400 lb dry weight camper with 2 scooters in the bed. It could pull the weight but had a hard time fighting the wind out on the interstate that’s why I went with the Ram. Only pulled camper 1 time last fall had a smile on my face the whole time night and day difference. I am adding airbags because of the scooters in the bed
Thanks for the input Rick3019

Users who are viewing this thread