5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3.21 ED towing ~6-8k weight

Rau

Reaction score
Hello,

I just purchased my first TT. It is a keystone hideout 272bh (~6k dry and ~8k gross). We love the trailer, but it feels a bit heavy for my wife’s 2020 Laramie.
I have a number of things to clarify before I decide what truck I will get for myself, but one question I want to ask here is about ecodiesel performance towing similar weights.
When I pull my trailer the Hemi stays mainly in 6th gear and consumes about 8 MPG. I wanted to know if ED also stays in 6th gear in average. It has higher torque and I was wondering if it handles a load differently.
I am not really after saving money on fuel, but I am after higher mpg to extend my distance between gas stations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dragonmaster13

Reaction score
ED with that load will do 10-13 MPG, and Hemi does 6.5-9 with 5, 6 or 8 speed trans. Load feels roughly the same behind both, but the ED is a much calmer towing experience as rpm's are lower and it doesn't hunt for gears as much due to torque. I based this on my experience with my Dutchmen 268BHS (33' tip to tail), 7500-7800lbs loaded with 950-985lb tongue weight, depending on trip length, all scaled. At those weights the Laramie is likely over payload (probably in the 1400lb range) when factoring anything in the bed and passengers. The pic attached is my 4th gen with 1,390lb payload and it is over GVWR and payload when the bed is empty with 4 passengers and nothing but water bottles in the cab.

Attachments

• Truck and trailer.jpg
    Truck and trailer.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 52

Rau

Reaction score
ED with that load will do 10-13 MPG, and Hemi does 6.5-9 with 5, 6 or 8 speed trans. Load feels roughly the same behind both, but the ED is a much calmer towing experience as rpm's are lower and it doesn't hunt for gears as much due to torque. I based this on my experience with my Dutchmen 268BHS (33' tip to tail), 7500-7800lbs loaded with 950-985lb tongue weight, depending on trip length, all scaled. At those weights the Laramie is likely over payload (probably in the 1400lb range) when factoring anything in the bed and passengers. The pic attached is my 4th gen with 1,390lb payload and it is over GVWR and payload when the bed is empty with 4 passengers and nothing but water bottles in the cab.

Are you talking about gen 2 or gen 3 EcoDiesel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

dougf

Reaction score
My 2020 Ecodiesel 3.21 has ~4700 miles of which about half is towing ~7000lb Nash 24ft trailer with ~750lb tongue weight. The best mpg (measured at the pump) was 13.5, worst was 10.1 (pulling a gradual climb over 200 miles into the wind on I80 between Laramie and Kemmerer, Wy. If I remember correctly, it would generally stay in 7th gear on flat, no wind, but drop into 6th when pulling into the wind.

Reactions: Rau

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My 5.7 / 3.92 pulls our 6900# TT well, and we average 10mpg overall (at least legal plus 5). On the highway, it’s in 7th mostly, 6th sometimes, 8th when flat and not using tow mode too. Totally dependent on the road, driving style , etc. At highway speed, frontal area of the TT has a bigger impact on how hard the truck works, than weight. The ED May have more toque down low, but less power. It will turn slower, but at highway speed, its working at a higher % of capacity. The ED may be a good engine, and sure it works better low down where torque matters, but i don’t think this particular diesel is any better at towing a TT. My friends experience towing gets him 1, sometimes 2mpg better, but driving style, conditions, probably account for much of the delta.

What makes it feel like it’s heavy? Which rear does yours have? How fast are you traveling?

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My Gen 3 EcoD gets 21 average unloaded, 14 towing a 7x14 enclosed trailer, and 9 towing a 8.5x24 enclosed trailer. If your camper is fairly wide and tall, do not expect to get teens for mileage. It won't happen.

The truck will tow best if you lock out 8th gear. 7th has enough torque to hold momentum on most inclines, which in turn produces less shifting overall. That's the best way I can get it to tow with the cruise set on the interstate. It'll hang out in 6th and 7th gear almost all the time.

Reactions: cj7

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/