5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3.21 Conversion to 3.92

RubyRam19

Reaction score
Has anyone successfully changed their rear end gear ratio from 3.21 ( which is what I have) to 3.92 after they have owned it for a while. Called the Dealer and they seemed befuddled with my question. Do I really need to purchase an entire vehicle just to change the rear end ratio to 3.92. Any help is appreciated!

NDanecker

Reaction score
If just the rear it may be worth it. If you have 4wd it may not be worth it. I heard the gear set on the front diff is welded to the carrier so you'll need a new carrier as well which just raises costs more.

Prices vary from $1k to $2k per axle depending on where you go. I would go to a axle or rear-end shop who has experience. I started to learn how to setup ring and pinions out of necessity. Had 2 bad installs done where 1) guy double the pinion shim and caused the pinion to scrap the carrier. Rear end had a whine that was awful. He told me to just keep driving it and it would break in. Refused to fix it. Second shop (XDP Performance in Wall, NJ) didn't set the backlash right, and the amount of play in the axle carrier was awful. It only sung when coasting. Its not that hard to do but you do need special tools and understanding of how it works and why. If you are on the fence don't do it, and just hire a pro who has done these.

I traded my 2013 3500 DRW Diesel truck at almost 1 year old because it had the 68rfe and 3.42 gears and ordered the same truck except built the way I wanted: added 4.10 gears, AISIN trans, bed camera, and aux switches. Cost me about $8k all said and done with dealer and that included the adders for the extra options. Worth it in my opinion. Towed completely different, but I was grossing 30k+ lbs. So trading the truck in is always an option.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/