5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

22" tires any good in snow?

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
Anyone with the 22" wheels and tires care to comment on winter performance? I'm in upstate NY and live at about 1400' elevation. I haven't had to put snows on other trucks, but also haven't had 22s before.

BadAspSVT

Reaction score
Following. Actually headed to upstate NY next week got the holiday and make a few trips a year up that way. Always 2 or 3 in the snow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

67 RT

Reaction score
Mine were fairly good the first year, when they were new. This year they suck. They’ve worn to about the bars now and aren’t worth a damn in the snow.

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
24000 miles on my Goodyears. Drove around in the 10" snowfall we got last week. No problems. I'll probably swap them out in another 6,000 miles. That'll take me through the winter with them. At that point I'll upsize to 305's.

Cravenfan

Reaction score
The stock tires in all new cars nowadays are intended to provide a softer ride, both in terms of test drives and first year of ownership. They also, for this reason, wear quicker. You get 20k miles out of stock tires and you’ve done well. I’m taking the stock Goodyear’s off my new 2020 immediately and will probably sell them cheap and I’m replacing them with new Continental AT tires. Mopar has a buy 3, get 4th tire for $1 sale through 11/30.

When you look at your new truck, look at the tire pattern and you should be able to realize fairly quickly that the stock tires will be ok in snow, but not great. Use your auto-4x4 and you should be fine. The 18”, 20” and 22”s should all perform about the same, based on tread pattern.

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
The stock tires in all new cars nowadays are intended to provide a softer ride, both in terms of test drives and first year of ownership. They also, for this reason, wear quicker. You get 20k miles out of stock tires and you’ve done well. I’m taking the stock Goodyear’s off my new 2020 immediately and will probably sell them cheap and I’m replacing them with new Continental AT tires. Mopar has a buy 3, get 4th tire for $1 sale through 11/30.

When you look at your new truck, look at the tire pattern and you should be able to realize fairly quickly that the stock tires will be ok in snow, but not great. Use your auto-4x4 and you should be fine. The 18”, 20” and 22”s should all perform about the same, based on tread pattern.
Thanks. I ended up putting the OEM tires back on my current "truck" because the 3 other sets I tried weren't nearly as quiet. Helps that I have a friend who owns a high volume tire store.

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m at 14,800 right now. They wore pretty heavily in the centers. Others have shared similar issues.

Is this due to over inflation or a defect in the tires? Thanks!

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I'm at 9700 miles, and my Goodyears still look great w/ very little wear. We'll see how they look at 15 & 20k, but so far so good.

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My Goodyears were replaced at 24,100 miles in October, but they did great in the snow Jan-April 2019. My Nitto 420V 305/45/22" have done great in the snow and ice this year and are wearing very slow and even so far at 4,000 miles. Tires.jpg

Last edited:

67 RT

Reaction score
Is this due to over inflation or a defect in the tires? Thanks!

Not over inflation. IMO. As my Service advisor at my dealer said they air all of them up to 40 psi, which I pointed out was 4 psi over the door sticker. To the response of, “doesn’t matter they are junk anyway”. I personally think it is due to the tons of roundabouts/traffic circles I take everyday. My right front seems to wear quicker than others. I’ve rotated every oil change as well. So-being junk is my opinion. They have no mileage warranty that I’m aware of. My psi is always right around 36-38.

On another note. My wife had a car that had similar tires from the same brand and hers were flat bald like I had never seen at 22k. I replaced hers with a pricey Michelin and they lasted another 35K before we sold it. They still had 60- 70% of the tread left to my surprise.

Twister

Reaction score
Not over inflation. IMO. As my Service advisor at my dealer said they air all of them up to 40 psi, which I pointed out was 4 psi over the door sticker. To the response of, “doesn’t matter they are junk anyway”. I personally think it is due to the tons of roundabouts/traffic circles I take everyday. My right front seems to wear quicker than others. I’ve rotated every oil change as well. So-being junk is my opinion. They have no mileage warranty that I’m aware of. My psi is always right around 36-38.

On another note. My wife had a car that had similar tires from the same brand and hers were flat bald like I had never seen at 22k. I replaced hers with a pricey Michelin and they lasted another 35K before we sold it. They still had 60- 70% of the tread left to my surprise.
not on the 22's right? I have 45 psi in mine, tires state 50 psi max. I will probably go with Coopers next time as I am not a low profile tire fan

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I put mine down to 36 psi as soon as I got home. It is the recommended pressure and should also mean a better ride. Higher psi might give better gas mileage but that is about all.

And I have never seen a tire manufacturer not give some kind of wear warranty...it is usually pro rated after so many miles.

BlkLimited22s

Reaction score
I keep mine at 44-48 psi and wearing evenly. Looks like i will get around 20k out of them. They did well in the winter last year but elected to go with Rebel take offs for this winter. Had snows on my other car and they are still much better then either all seasons I have tried.

67 RT

Reaction score
I put mine down to 36 psi as soon as I got home. It is the recommended pressure and should also mean a better ride. Higher psi might give better gas mileage but that is about all.

And I have never seen a tire manufacturer not give some kind of wear warranty...it is usually pro rated after so many miles.

The dealer told me they can get them pro-rated for wear, but no thanks. Why would I replace them with the same junk tires?

Users who are viewing this thread