5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

22" OEM Goodyear's work pretty well in snow!

drsubie

Reaction score
These past 2 days Seattle has seen it's turn to take some of the brunt of the weather, and it's dumped like 1' of snow in parts of the metro. Since it's so rare to have this amount of snow stick around for this length of time, snow plows and snow removal equipment are pretty rare. I live in the suburbs, and unfortunately staying home on a 'snow day' isn't an option, so I had to go in to work my graveyard shift despite blizzard like conditions.

I was nervous about how these 'all season' tires would work, but to my pleasant surprise, the narrow width tires and 4WD auto setting worked like a champ--I was able to go up unplowed hills and side streets w/ no problems! Just took 'er easy, didn't be an asshat driving, and it was all good... I had been lamenting that I didn't buy a dedicated set of winter tires/rims (storage space is a premium), but I think these OEMs can get me through, barring black ice...

djwdjw

Reaction score
You're talking about the 22" Goodyear Eagle Touring tires for the Limited (285/45r22) right?

Everyone seems to want to hate on these tires here, but I have found them dead quiet and smooth as can be for city driving. Pretty happy with them. I have not had a chance to play with them in the snow/ice yet, but was looking forward to it. Tesla uses Eagle Tourings as OEM on some models too.

67 RT

Reaction score
I agree. They handle well in the snow. Seems that is all I drive in anymore.

drsubie

Reaction score
Yeah, the OEM Goodyear's is what I have. It's gonna dump an estimated ~4 to 6" some more here, but I had no problems last night cutting through unplowed streets and going up an unplowed hill... dare I say, my Ram drives better in the snow than my prior 2012 F150 w/ Goodyear Duratracs or my 2007 4Runner w/ AT tires!

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have been surprised my Eagle Touring tires have performed as well as they have. But they really have handled repeated snow storms here and go right through unplowed streets with ease in 4Wd auto. I've messed around attempting to slide and also accelerated hard; it didn't flinch and was flawless still. I won't be swapping them out early, like I had previously envisioned.

djwdjw

Reaction score
I have been surprised my Eagle Touring tires have performed as well as they have. But they really have handled repeated snow storms here and go right through unplowed streets with ease in 4Wd auto. I've messed around attempting to slide and also accelerated hard; it didn't flinch and was flawless still. I won't be swapping them out early, like I had previously envisioned.

That's good news. I was having a hard time finding anything to complain about with the Eagle Touring tires.

A lot of threads about folks trying to peddle them off, nearly new, for other knobbly (probably noisy) standard or oversized AT tires, which isn't part of my normal mission.

I probably would have gone with some Michelin tire based on my past experience once I wore these out, but if they remain as quiet and functional as these have so far, I might rethink that. Buying someone's low-mileage Eagle Touring take-offs looks (now) like a prudent and cost effective strategy.

drsubie

Reaction score
I did have some trouble getting up my gently sloped hill this morning--but the temp was at 34 deg and it was a wet slushy snow; I was trying to zoom up hill like I did the night previous when it was just packed powder. So there was some slippage, all I had to do was go in reverse a bit, then go back forward real slow and I made it up. Probably dedicated snow tires would not have slipped, but I'm still impressed w/ these all seasons...

Nickjansen

Reaction score
I too absolutely love these tires. I live in the Okanagan in British Columbia Canada, and we have had both -20 degrees celcius mixed with blizzards and also dry temperatures and roads as well. These tires made it through 2' of snow pretty confidently going reasonably paced and sometimes a little faster than shouldve ;) This combined with the quiet smooth ride make it very difficult for me to think about ever replacing them with something else as these are just about the best all around tires I have ever driven on.

djwdjw

Reaction score
Tesla was (may still be) putting Goodyear Eagle Touring tires on some of their Model S trim levels as OEM (the only difference from our tires being their specific size including an acoustic liner to provide additional help with noise).

We way that owner group complains about the smallest things and tiny noises, it's probably a reasonable confirmation on the all around performance of this tire.

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Users who are viewing this thread