5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

22' for 20" swap

jcjohn

Reaction score
I am interested in swapping out my 2019 Limited 22s for the 2019 or 2020 Laramie premium 20s. My understanding is that they are a direct swap without any offset issues.

Has anybody done this already AND is there anybody interested in my wheels/tires? It has Goodyear Forteras on it with very few miles.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sorry, I have no answer for you. I was just interested in seeing what it was you wanted when I saw the title 22' for 20" swap (22 feet for 20 inch swap)

waterhamhawk

Reaction score
I swap 22” Limited wheels and tires for 20” Limited wheels and tires with no issues at all. Yes the speedometer is off a bit. But I’m still naïve about what the offset will have to do with anything? It’s all mopar Isn’t it.

jcjohn

Reaction score
I swap 22” Limited wheels and tires for 20” Limited wheels and tires with no issues at all. Yes the speedometer is off a bit. But I’m still naïve about what the offset will have to do with anything? It’s all mopar Isn’t it.
My understanding is its a direct swap with no offset issues. Have you noticed any improvement in mpg or ride over the 22s? I've heard the extra sidewall on the 20s helps cushion and flex and provides a better ride and slightly better mpg. Please advise... Also can you please send me a picture of your truck from the side so I can see your 20s?

waterhamhawk

Reaction score
I felt with the 22’s the truck cornered better. Yes the ride was a little more harsh. Negligible “ie air ride”Call me old school but I do like the look of the 20’s. (Same size that is on my 09 Ram)Plus cheaper tire replacement cost and more brands to choose from.Too many stories of rim rash and being out of town and their tire machine can’t handle rims over 20”. “Sams club comes to mind.I don’t really care about gas mileage. Only that the price is getting a bit ridiculous. Hope this helps.
Photo’s taken in exit mode

Attachments

• 0FCCD070-D24E-44E6-BBB1-7E4E22A7D73F.jpeg
    0FCCD070-D24E-44E6-BBB1-7E4E22A7D73F.jpeg
    132.7 KB · Views: 55
  • 295B91A4-AF37-4004-A2D4-6AAF17CBCC26.jpeg
    295B91A4-AF37-4004-A2D4-6AAF17CBCC26.jpeg
    109.4 KB · Views: 54

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am interested in swapping out my 2019 Limited 22s for the 2019 or 2020 Laramie premium 20s. My understanding is that they are a direct swap without any offset issues.

Has anybody done this already AND is there anybody interested in my wheels/tires? It has Goodyear Forteras on it with very few miles.
Where are you located?

CPenn1086

Reaction score
I swapped from 22" to 20" on my Laramie and the speedo is 100% accurate according to GPS.

jcjohn

Reaction score
I felt with the 22’s the truck cornered better. Yes the ride was a little more harsh. Negligible “ie air ride”Call me old school but I do like the look of the 20’s. (Same size that is on my 09 Ram)Plus cheaper tire replacement cost and more brands to choose from.Too many stories of rim rash and being out of town and their tire machine can’t handle rims over 20”. “Sams club comes to mind.I don’t really care about gas mileage. Only that the price is getting a bit ridiculous. Hope this helps.
Photo’s taken in exit mode
Thank you for sharing! We have the same truck and I like the look of the 20s. I also agree with all the cons associated with the 22s, and they are more of a "look" rim than functional. I live on gravel, and I'm concerned that they will get rock chips over time and the low profile rubber doesn't add any benefits for me.

Rams01

Reaction score
Came to the forums this evening to start this same topic. Traded my wifes 2019 Laramie Sport 4x4 for a 2021 Limited (both had 22’s) and after the 2nd f***ing time in 18 months she managed to pop the same tire on 2 different trucks with 2 different tires. Both being 22” have a unforgiving sidewall and have no shoulder protection so she will clip a curb at chick fil a and end up tearing a hole on the frixkin tire 🤬. Continental AT vs Scorpion II “AT” which came with the new Limited. I suggested we go with 20’s but NOOOOOO she loves how aggressive it looks and how pretty it is 😂 but its my *** who has to come change the tire in rush hour traffic in the middle of a Texas summer.
22’s ON A TRUCK MAKE IT USELESS AND FRAGILE. Too easy to bend the wheel if hitting a pot hole and of course just curbing the wheel and busting the tire at the slightest pressure.
Rant over. I needed to get this off mah chest 😂 now, do you all have a preferred wheel vendor on here?

river rat

Reaction score
Came to the forums this evening to start this same topic. Traded my wifes 2019 Laramie Sport 4x4 for a 2021 Limited (both had 22’s) and after the 2nd f***ing time in 18 months she managed to pop the same tire on 2 different trucks with 2 different tires. Both being 22” have a unforgiving sidewall and have no shoulder protection so she will clip a curb at chick fil a and end up tearing a hole on the frixkin tire 🤬. Continental AT vs Scorpion II “AT” which came with the new Limited. I suggested we go with 20’s but NOOOOOO she loves how aggressive it looks and how pretty it is 😂 but its my *** who has to come change the tire in rush hour traffic in the middle of a Texas summer.
22’s ON A TRUCK MAKE IT USELESS AND FRAGILE. Too easy to bend the wheel if hitting a pot hole and of course just curbing the wheel and busting the tire at the slightest pressure.
Rant over. I needed to get this off mah chest 😂 now, do you all have a preferred wheel vendor on here?
Why don't you just get a bigger tire for the 22"?

Users who are viewing this thread