5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'21 RAM 1500 eTorque Recall...."Good News"

2001gw

Reaction score
I've had this truck for 2 years. My average "around town" MPG has always been around 17.8 to 18.2 MPG. Last Monday I had the recall done on the truck (took about 15 minutes). As of today, I am averaging 21 MPG! (y) I do very little highway driving, but I imagine the Highway MPG will be even higher. :)

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It is for the "21 RAM 1500 eTorque. They do an update (Flash) to the ECU. They plug into the OBD2 port and reprogram it.
I understand how a flash update is done. What was the recall for? They don't do recalls just in general and not say what it is being recalled for.

6of36

Reaction score
I understand how a flash update is done. What was the recall for? They don't do recalls just in general and not say what it is being recalled for.
Engines running rich and causing stalling, and that sends bad signal to trans, so it effects shifting. Only certain 21s, and all are Etorques.

CRAIG4FSU

Reaction score
I have seen no gain. Had it done last week. Still avg around 13.5 😢
Was it stalling?

My ‘21 Etorque has stalled on me once when pulling onto a busy road. It was brief and picked right up, but still.

I need this recall and the one for the tailgate checked. I’ll have them check the ******* coolant smell while they have it.

6of36

Reaction score
I have seen no gain. Had it done last week. Still avg around 13.5 😢
I think it only really changed highway MPG. It changes the shifts. My brother complained since he got his about radical down shifts on slight down hills. I said it's normal, to maintain speed. I thought he was just exaggerating it. He said after the recall it didn't do it any more, and he gained almost 3 MPG highway. He was shocked.

BowDown

Reaction score
I'd imagine most of the fuel mileage gain was from out leaning the engine. If its was loading up to the point it was stalling, the ecu was dumping a crap-ton of fuel in the cylinders. That alone would make for a huge fuel mileage increase. My other concern would be that the ecu calling for enough fuel to stall the engine is also washing the cylinder walls down. Id change the oil ASAP and see if it smelled like fuel

2001gw

Reaction score
I'd imagine most of the fuel mileage gain was from out leaning the engine. If its was loading up to the point it was stalling, the ecu was dumping a crap-ton of fuel in the cylinders. That alone would make for a huge fuel mileage increase. My other concern would be that the ecu calling for enough fuel to stall the engine is also washing the cylinder walls down. Id change the oil ASAP and see if it smelled like fuel
I would say you are correct. The recall as I understand it was for too much fuel being delivered to the cylinders (running rich).

jessed1

Reaction score
Mine was performed about 2 weeks ago - very slight change in MPG that I attributed to the switch to the summer blend. Mine never did stall before sooo who knows if it even needed the change? I also had the tailgate recall performed and, for the first time ever, it opened while I was driving :mad:

titan3636

Reaction score
Was it stalling?

My ‘21 Etorque has stalled on me once when pulling onto a busy road. It was brief and picked right up, but still.

I need this recall and the one for the tailgate checked. I’ll have them check the ******* coolant smell while they have it.
I had it stall twice over the last year. Both at very low speeds. Glad they finally put out a recall and hopefully it’s a fix.

CRAIG4FSU

Reaction score
Mine was performed about 2 weeks ago - very slight change in MPG that I attributed to the switch to the summer blend. Mine never did stall before sooo who knows if it even needed the change? I also had the tailgate recall performed and, for the first time ever, it opened while I was driving :mad:
Electronic tailgate?

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had mine done 5/5, and as of this morning, the fuel usage has settled back down to 18-19mpg indicated which is what it has always indicated. After the update, I did see the 21mpg, but it didn't last more than a couple tanks.

I will say this; after the flash, I don't hear any pinging at WOT. Before the flash it sounded like an old Econoline E-150 with a worn out 351W.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I had mine done 5/5, and as of this morning, the fuel usage has settled back down to 18-19mpg indicated which is what it has always indicated. After the update, I did see the 21mpg, but it didn't last more than a couple tanks.

I will say this; after the flash, I don't hear any pinging at WOT. Before the flash it sounded like an old Econoline E-150 with a worn out 351W.
Sounds like they disconnected the battery when preforming the recall which is likely why you saw better (fake) MPGs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/