5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Ram 1500 Rebel burning plastic smell

Flintstone992

Reaction score
Hey folks. New member here. I’ve had my new 22 Ram Rebel for less then a week now and I’ve noticed a very strong smell of burning/melting plastic coming from the front end somewhere. I was guessing it was the newness burning off of stuff in and around the engine compartment but it’s got around 800kms (500 miles) on it now so I can’t see that still being the case. Am I just wondering if anyone else has had this occur?

MurphBigHorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have had that smell around 14k randomly. And one other time I noticed. Never found anything. And I’m at 27k now

rmeasmer1500

Reaction score
Hey folks. New member here. I’ve had my new 22 Ram Rebel for less then a week now and I’ve noticed a very strong smell of burning/melting plastic coming from the front end somewhere. I was guessing it was the newness burning off of stuff in and around the engine compartment but it’s got around 800kms (500 miles) on it now so I can’t see that still being the case. Am I just wondering if anyone else has had this occur?
Just purchased my 2022 little over a week and a half ago. 750 miles and the burning smell, more like oil, started this morning. Can’t find any visual signs of leaking fluids. Oil pressure good and fluid temps look good. Not sure if it is the “newness” of the vehicle or something else.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had that after Zeibart, probably a bit of overspray on the exhaust.

Reaction score
Anybody have an update on this. My 2022 RAM Cummins Diesel has this smell for the first time at my first oil change and they could not find the source. Today at 14K miles I have the smell again. Random occurences.

Users who are viewing this thread