5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Air Suspension in cold weather

Pooch

Reaction score
Good day everyone,

Anyone know or have any experience with the Air suspension for 2022 in cold weather?
I know the previous gen was really bad but they said that the new gens are better?
Thank you for your time.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
No issues with the air suspension on our 2020 Limited yet. Truck will be three years old in April. They redesigned the system for 5th gens (2019 - current), and it has been much more reliable than the system on 4th gens. I've seen only a handful of complaints since becoming a member here more than 3 years ago. Like all air suspension systems, it will likely have problems sooner than a traditional suspension. So the longer you keep it the higher the chance you could have issues with it.

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
anyone knows what was actually redesign? looking at the scema everything seems to be the same at same place, so its probably the parts themself, for example a new valve block or compreasor design?

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
anyone knows what was actually redesign? looking at the scema everything seems to be the same at same place, so its probably the parts themself, for example a new valve block or compreasor design?
I believe the difference is the new system will actually purge itself while the old system didn’t .

MXZGUY

Reaction score
Had a 2017 Rebel and had no issues at all and I live in Wisconsin and spent most the winter in Northern Wisconsin. Now I have the 2022 Limited and I was not afraid to buy another truck with the air. Only have 600 miles on it so far. -1 here this morning.

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Going on Winter #3 without issues. On a related topic, haven't used my Winter Cover either.... EDIT: or block heater.

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I believe the difference is the new system will actually purge itself while the old system didn’t .
humm my 2014 did purge often when it wasent working proprelly, so not sure on that
but if they are in fact more reliable after a few years i might get it on the next truck

Fatherof3

Reaction score
humm my 2014 did purge often when it wasent working proprelly, so not sure on that
but if they are in fact more reliable after a few years i might get it on the next truck
I had a 2016 Rebel that hardly ever purged which is why I think I had all the problems with it . lol

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had a 2016 Rebel that hardly ever purged which is why I think I had all the problems with it . lol
i dont know why the systeme does that, plus its a seal system, at some point it will be missing nitrogen in the sealed tanks, unless we think it purge air outside be really just purge it back in the tanks

Fatherof3

Reaction score
i dont know why the systeme does that, plus its a seal system, at some point it will be missing nitrogen in the sealed tanks, unless we think it purge air outside be really just purge it back in the tanks
I’m not sure but you’re right that it’s supposed to be a sealed system .
Somehow mine kept getting air in the system that had moisture in it and it would freeze up in the winter and stop a check valve from opening and burn out the compressor. Happened twice in 7 months to me .

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m not sure but you’re right that it’s supposed to be a sealed system .
Somehow mine kept getting air in the system that had moisture in it and it would freeze up in the winter and stop a check valve from opening and burn out the compressor. Happened twice in 7 months to me .
exacte.same thing happened to mine but more often, they change the compressor with valve block assembly about 5 times before a ran out of warranty and.even if the problem was there before the end of warranty (started 1st year but got worts with time) they denied the warranty when it expired, even tho they never did fix for real the problem.
this compressor and valve block assembly should be in the engine bay, just with the heat from there, it would never have tbose problems

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
2019 here...went thru 2 New England winters, and now out in Colorado...no issues ever.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
No issues in everything from Texas summers to Michigan winters on my 2019 (yet).

Users who are viewing this thread