5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Ram Rebel With a Bad Transmission!

milks669

Reaction score
HI guys, Hope you're all doing well. Check this out. So, I have a 2021 Ram Rebel with just 21,000km on it. This is what the problem is. When I start the truck in the morning, I let it run for a few minutes (It's summer, obviously a little longer in the winter) then I get going. I get a harsh shift/hard jerk feeling when the transmission shifts from gear 3 to 4. The harsh shift then goes away, and the truck runs perfectly like it was new. When that event happens, I sometimes get a service transmission on the dash and the check engine light comes on. It will go away after some time passes. It does this after the truck has been sitting for a while or overnight every single time. It's not intermittent. Happens every day.

So, I take it to dodge, and they spent 2 hours on this flashing the PCM, along with a quicklearn. There's a stored code saying "DTC P0733-00-GEAR 3 SHIFT INCORRECT RATIO" The mechanic left in the notes that the fluid level was okay but can see glitter (which I think you always see) along with debris in fluid, that I don't like. They gave me the truck back like this. did absolutely nothing to it. They've been in contact with Chrysler engineering, but not any one of them know what the hell is going on. Obviously, I'm not happy, and I don't know what I should do next. I'm actually proper pissed. At this point I want a new truck, being I know what's involved in a tranny change, and there's nothing but problems afterwards. The thing is $70,000 CAD. Not little money to me. Can someone please advise me on what and how they would handle this. The truck is in warranty and the dealership is confirming all this, but no one is making a call on fixing this. I don't want to play the game of picking it up, and it doesn't work, and then back in the shop. You know? I'm so sad over this and upset. Wish I had all the money in the world lol. I thank you all in advance if you can help in anyway. Thanks.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I wouldn't expect glitter or debris. Sticking solenoid? Burr on a clutch piston? Sounds like you need a good transmission tech, which is not me. I wouldn't be afraid of transmission replacement, if that's what it needs. Use your warranty, that's what it's for. If your dealer can't handle it, let Ram recommend another dealer or shop that can.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
HI guys, Hope you're all doing well. Check this out. So, I have a 2021 Ram Rebel with just 21,000km on it. This is what the problem is. When I start the truck in the morning, I let it run for a few minutes (It's summer, obviously a little longer in the winter) then I get going. I get a harsh shift/hard jerk feeling when the transmission shifts from gear 3 to 4. The harsh shift then goes away, and the truck runs perfectly like it was new. When that event happens, I sometimes get a service transmission on the dash and the check engine light comes on. It will go away after some time passes. It does this after the truck has been sitting for a while or overnight every single time. It's not intermittent. Happens every day.

So, I take it to dodge, and they spent 2 hours on this flashing the PCM, along with a quicklearn. There's a stored code saying "DTC P0733-00-GEAR 3 SHIFT INCORRECT RATIO" The mechanic left in the notes that the fluid level was okay but can see glitter (which I think you always see) along with debris in fluid, that I don't like. They gave me the truck back like this. did absolutely nothing to it. They've been in contact with Chrysler engineering, but not any one of them know what the hell is going on. Obviously, I'm not happy, and I don't know what I should do next. I'm actually proper pissed. At this point I want a new truck, being I know what's involved in a tranny change, and there's nothing but problems afterwards. The thing is $70,000 CAD. Not little money to me. Can someone please advise me on what and how they would handle this. The truck is in warranty and the dealership is confirming all this, but no one is making a call on fixing this. I don't want to play the game of picking it up, and it doesn't work, and then back in the shop. You know? I'm so sad over this and upset. Wish I had all the money in the world lol. I thank you all in advance if you can help in anyway. Thanks.

Nothing wrong with getting a trans replaced, straight forward and simple. Not sure why you're expecting a new truck but I'm more than positive that's not going to happen.
Let them diagnose the trans and replace if necessary but sounds electrical or in the valve body

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
New truck over a transmission, good luck. It's a simple job.

The issue is, the dealership(depending on factors and warranty level) has to provide "proof" of failure with documentation, if the dealer doesn't have the proper info from the truck/trans Ram won't authorize a replacement.

Bullcycles

Reaction score
"Glitter and debris" would not be normal in my book. Can clog oil passages. They didn’t change the fluid or filter? Just keep pushing for a swap or solution. I was going through similar issues with my trans. They wouldn’t do anything of value. Just pushing it out the door. I was lucky to get what I paid in trade in.. so I just swapped trucks. After driving this one i now know how bad that trans was. This truck (same ratio tire size etc) drives sooo much smoother and shifts are fantastic.

milks669

Reaction score
I wouldn't expect glitter or debris. Sticking solenoid? Burr on a clutch piston? Sounds like you need a good transmission tech, which is not me. I wouldn't be afraid of transmission replacement, if that's what it needs. Use your warranty, that's what it's for. If your dealer can't handle it, let Ram recommend another dealer or shop that can.
I appreciate your reply. Of course, I don't like any of this one bit and no I don't want a Tranny swap, but that's what they're discussing now with the engineering department. I really don't want that truck back after that. They're telling me it'll be a brand-new factory transmission as these trannies are not repairable, which I don't believe. But that's what the service manager told me. They won't give me a new truck; I know they won't. unless I put up a huge fight, maybe. But I doubt it.

milks669

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with getting a trans replaced, straight forward and simple. Not sure why you're expecting a new truck but I'm more than positive that's not going to happen.
Let them diagnose the trans and replace if necessary but sounds electrical or in the valve body
Hey man, I truly appreciate your reply. I know I won't get a new truck out if. I just know what's involved in a tranny swap and it's not a small job. But your comment has definitely put me as ease. The whole thing just sucks and bothers me. Brand new truck and I'm dealing with this. I know Rams have well-built trannies as this is my 3rd ram within the last 7-8 years and the first time, I'm experiencing this. YOu don't think it's because this truck was built in 2020 peak covid? That crosses my mind for sure. Anyway, I'll keep you guys posted.

milks669

Reaction score
New truck over a transmission, good luck. It's a simple job.

The issue is, the dealership(depending on factors and warranty level) has to provide "proof" of failure with documentation, if the dealer doesn't have the proper info from the truck/trans Ram won't authorize a replacement.
Hi, I'm a millwright by trade and I know what's involved in a job like this. Will I get a new truck? hell no, I know it won't happen. It's just something that would be nice lol. When you think of a $70,000 truck, with only 21,000km on it. This should never happen. I'm sure you can put yourself in my shoes and say, yes you wouldn't be happy about it either. But your comment has put me at ease. At the end of the day, I have no choices other than for them to fix it. That's the talk right now with the engineering dept. Either a tranny change, or valve body. I'd rather them just do it all so It's fixed and doesn't happen again. Nothing I hate worse than back n forth to the dealer for a new truck. I'll keep you posted on what happens.

milks669

Reaction score
"Glitter and debris" would not be normal in my book. Can clog oil passages. They didn’t change the fluid or filter? Just keep pushing for a swap or solution. I was going through similar issues with my trans. They wouldn’t do anything of value. Just pushing it out the door. I was lucky to get what I paid in trade in.. so I just swapped trucks. After driving this one i now know how bad that trans was. This truck (same ratio tire size etc) drives sooo much smoother and shifts are fantastic.
Thanks for your reply. No fluid change, they're telling me there is no such thing on these newer rams. There's no way to check the level of the tranny oil other than going underneath and unscrew the plug. If a little oil drips out, your tranny fluid is full. The talk right now is between the dealer and the engineering dept and they're saying they may say just swap out the valve body and not the tranny. I want them to swap them both. The truck is under full warranty, so they best fix this, or I'll go crazy over this. We're talking $70,000 cad, with 21,000km on it. Brand new man. I'll keep you posted on what happens. Thanks man.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
here is a couple of articles about your transmission

I could not find the article about rebuilding these transmissions, but a year ago when I was waiting for my truck several posters said this transmission is a throwaway item as the cost to rebuild is far more then replacing it

get an extended warranty and you will be fine

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hi, I'm a millwright by trade and I know what's involved in a job like this. Will I get a new truck? hell no, I know it won't happen. It's just something that would be nice lol. When you think of a $70,000 truck, with only 21,000km on it. This should never happen. I'm sure you can put yourself in my shoes and say, yes you wouldn't be happy about it either. But your comment has put me at ease. At the end of the day, I have no choices other than for them to fix it. That's the talk right now with the engineering dept. Either a tranny change, or valve body. I'd rather them just do it all so It's fixed and doesn't happen again. Nothing I hate worse than back n forth to the dealer for a new truck. I'll keep you posted on what happens.
You think ram is going to hand out new trucks every time someone has an issue? Come on, that is ridiculous mentality. Yes you have no choice but to let them fix it, that is your only option. A transmission replacement is a cut and dry process. I work for Mercedes and we see failed transmissions at 100 miles. It happens. Your truck having 13k miles doesn't mean parts won't fail. I do agree that if the tech found debris in your trans, the truck shouldn't have left like that.

milks669

Reaction score
You think ram is going to hand out new trucks every time someone has an issue? Come on, that is ridiculous mentality. Yes you have no choice but to let them fix it, that is your only option. A transmission replacement is a cut and dry process. I work for Mercedes and we see failed transmissions at 100 miles. It happens. Your truck having 13k miles doesn't mean parts won't fail. I do agree that if the tech found debris in your trans, the truck shouldn't have left like that.
Take it easy man. I didn't say I'd get a new truck out of it, so I'm not sure why you're going off about it. I mentioned it at first knowing the entire time that it would never happen. Was just mentioned man. Relax. I understand it happens. It's mechanical. All mechanical parts will break, I understand that.

milks669

Reaction score
We know it's a $51,000 US dollar truck. It doesn't matter if the truck is 80k or 45k it all should be handled the same.
I understand. Not sure why you felt the need to say that. Just because I mention how much the truck is.
We know it's a $51,000 US dollar truck. It doesn't matter if the truck is 80k or 45k it all should be handled the same.
here is a couple of articles about your transmission

I could not find the article about rebuilding these transmissions, but a year ago when I was waiting for my truck several posters said this transmission is a throwaway item as the cost to rebuild is far more then replacing it

get an extended warranty and you will be fine
Ya, that's exactly what I was told from the dealer.

milks669

Reaction score
I agree, and it will be dealt with accordingly. I will say the dealership should have never given me that truck back after finding debris in the oil. I will be screaming for a new transmission swap, based on that alone. Am I being unfair asking for a new one?

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
I agree, and it will be dealt with accordingly. I will say the dealership should have never given me that truck back after finding debris in the oil. I will be screaming for a new transmission swap, based on that alone. Am I being unfair asking for a new one?
new transmission, not unfair at all

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Probably not. Depending on the problem, some parts are easy to replace and clean up, others not so much. New transmission may be well within the range of possibilities.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Dealerships tend to replace than repair when it comes to transmissions while under warranty.

The ZF8 is a great transmissions, used in so many premium vehicles, it's also rare for one to go out.

I would definitely push for a replacement, once you get it done, you shouldn't run into this issue again. But it sucks you are dealing with it on a new truck.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
It happens. My new outback is getting its trans replaced in a few weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

milks669

Reaction score
Dealerships tend to replace than repair when it comes to transmissions while under warranty.

The ZF8 is a great transmissions, used in so many premium vehicles, it's also rare for one to go out.

I would definitely push for a replacement, once you get it done, you shouldn't run into this issue again. But it sucks you are dealing with it on a new truck.
I appreciate it man, it does suck. I was told from the dealer that the next steps are to see what engineering wants them to do. They may say swap only the valve body and not the transmission, or vice versa. I want the whole thing changed out, just on the fact that there's debris in my tranny oil that has been confirmed by a Chrysler mechanic and it's in the notes. To me it's a no brainer, you change the whole thing. It sucks when there's another dept that truly makes the final decision on the trucks fate, and you can't communicate with them in the engineering dept. It sucks, but I'll surely be fighting for a full swap. Thanks for the reply, man. It's appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread