5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Ram 1500 with Bilstein 6112 and 6" strut spacer

ma25624

Reaction score
I don't know if this has been discussed but I did try a search and didn't see this particular question asked. I have a 2021 Ram 1500 4X4 with a zone 4" lift kit. I purchased the Bilstein 6112 coilovers for the front and 5100's for the rear. The front is using a 4" inch spacer. I will be lifting my truck up 2 more inches to 6" and was wondering which is the better way to go. Replacing the 4" spacer with a 6" spacer, and replacing the rear shocks, or replacing the 4" inch spacer with BDS Fox's 2.5 6" coilovers? I don't do much if any off road driving. I am doing lift mainly for looks, and want to keep as much of a smooth ride as possible. When I say smooth I don't mean "floating soft ride", just more closer to stock ride as possible. Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited:

H2OMAN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you are going 4 inch or more younger a lift. Spacers that size will destroy your front end very quickly. The 4 inch BDS lift is your best bet.

ma25624

Reaction score
If you are going 4 inch or more younger a lift. Spacers that size will destroy your front end very quickly. The 4 inch BDS lift is your best bet.
I have the Zone 4" lift already installed, which was done last year. It is the same kit as the BDS kit, since Zone and BDS are pretty much the same company. I am just changing a few parts to get from 4" to 6". The 4" kit and the 6" kit are nearly identical, except for the front spacer and the rear coils. So I am trying to decide if I am going to be taking the front end apart to get to the spacer, I might as well choose between putting the 6" inch spacer or doing fox 2.5 6" coilovers instead. I already have bilsteins 6112 coilovers in the front, I just thought it might be better to go with a 6" inch coilover as opposed to a 6" spacer on top of the 6112s.

H2OMAN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the Zone 4" lift already installed, which was done last year. It is the same kit as the BDS kit, since Zone and BDS are pretty much the same company. I am just changing a few parts to get from 4" to 6". The 4" kit and the 6" kit are nearly identical, except for the front spacer and the rear coils. So I am trying to decide if I am going to be taking the front end apart to get to the spacer, I might as well choose between putting the 6" inch spacer or doing fox 2.5 6" coilovers instead. I already have bilsteins 6112 coilovers in the front, I just thought it might be better to go with a 6" inch coilover as opposed to a 6" spacer on top of the 6112s.
Ah. Now I see what you are saying. It's all about budget. The 6112's are fine shocks. It's just that they are digressive valved. So the little stuff beats you up. They do fine in the harder stuff and are great for towing and hauling. The Fox suspension will float you over everything. But they are gonna cost you.

ma25624

Reaction score
Ah. Now I see what you are saying. It's all about budget. The 6112's are fine shocks. It's just that they are digressive valved. So the little stuff beats you up. They do fine in the harder stuff and are great for towing and hauling. The Fox suspension will float you over everything. But they are gonna cost you.
Thank you for the help!! Yeah I was wondering if spending $2300 more for the coilovers is worth the extra money. The local place installing the 6" lift parts recommend I get the fox coilovers. They said putting a 6" spacer on those bilsteins would not ride as well as the fox. I was trying to get another person's opinion. I guess now it is just a matter if I want to spend the extra money.

H2OMAN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thank you for the help!! Yeah I was wondering if spending $2300 more for the coilovers is worth the extra money. The local place installing the 6" lift parts recommend I get the fox coilovers. They said putting a 6" spacer on those bilsteins would not ride as well as the fox. I was trying to get another person's opinion. I guess now it is just a matter if I want to spend the extra money.
That's it.

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Hey man so I’ve done this on my truck! I have the 4” BDS kit and I added Bilsteins on top of the spacers to get another 1.7” of height up front & honestly I don’t think it changed the ride quality at all and there’s nothing “wrong” with it by any means, but if you have the money then get coilovers all day long. Fox ones are great but I’ve read they’re tuned a little stiffer for handling off road abuse so they almost make the truck feel more like a sportscar on the road. Supposedly the rough country options ride really nice for daily drivers. And the Bilsteins, like another member mentioned, have their strong suits, but if you’re looking for a daily driver stock ride quality bilstein might not be the best option. I have the 5100s and they’re about identical to how it felt stock with the 4” spacer. The 6112s ride a bit stiffer but can handle more offroad. The 8112s are even stiffer but again take more abuse off road. So just figure out what you’re comfortable spending and go from there! I can tell you from my experience I definitely want to get probably either Fox or Rough Country. You’re leaving a lot of performance on the table by running a spacer. It bugs me haha

ma25624

Reaction score
Hey man so I’ve done this on my truck! I have the 4” BDS kit and I added Bilsteins on top of the spacers to get another 1.7” of height up front & honestly I don’t think it changed the ride quality at all and there’s nothing “wrong” with it by any means, but if you have the money then get coilovers all day long. Fox ones are great but I’ve read they’re tuned a little stiffer for handling off road abuse so they almost make the truck feel more like a sportscar on the road. Supposedly the rough country options ride really nice for daily drivers. And the Bilsteins, like another member mentioned, have their strong suits, but if you’re looking for a daily driver stock ride quality bilstein might not be the best option. I have the 5100s and they’re about identical to how it felt stock with the 4” spacer. The 6112s ride a bit stiffer but can handle more offroad. The 8112s are even stiffer but again take more abuse off road. So just figure out what you’re comfortable spending and go from there! I can tell you from my experience I definitely want to get probably either Fox or Rough Country. You’re leaving a lot of performance on the table by running a spacer. It bugs me haha
Thanks for the info!! I have the money and don't mind spending it on my truck, just didn't want to drop +$2k if there is not much difference. I am getting more opinions that if I have the money, it is def worth it. I was going to spend the extra $200 and get the Performance enhanced version of the coilovers,which has the dial adjustment. The tech at BDS told me that with that adjuster, I can soften the ride for on road use. BTW, great looking truck!

Last edited:

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks for the info!! I have the money and don't mind spending it on my truck, just didn't want to drop +$2k if there is not much difference. I am getting more opinions that if I have the money, it is def worth it. I was going to spend the extra $200 and get the Performance enhanced version of the coilovers,which has the dial adjustmen. The tech at BDS told me that with that adjuster, I can soften the ride for on road use. BTW, great looking truck!
Yeah I’d get the adjusters too!! If you can afford it then yeah dude get the Fox ones that would be sweet :)

H2OMAN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The Fox 2.5 Performance Elites have high and low speed adjustability. You won't get beat up anywhere from the suspension.

Last edited:

Linejunk32

Reaction score
I don't know if this has been discussed but I did try a search and didn't see this particular question asked. I have a 2021 Ram 1500 4X4 with a zone 4" lift kit. I purchased the Bilstein 6112 coilovers for the front and 5100's for the rear. The front is using a 4" inch spacer. I will be lifting my truck up 2 more inches to 6" and was wondering which is the better way to go. Replacing the 4" spacer with a 6" spacer, and replacing the rear shocks, or replacing the 4" inch spacer with BDS Fox's 2.5 6" coilovers? I don't do much if any off road driving. I am doing lift mainly for looks, and want to keep as much of a smooth ride as possible. When I say smooth I don't mean "floating soft ride", just more closer to stock ride as possible. Any advice would be appreciated.

Hey man I’m in the market for either a BDS 4” or 6” lift kit. Would really appreciate if you could post some pics up of your truck as it sits now to help me decide. I have a 21’ Built to serve that comes with a 1” ride height increase already which kinda complicates things when it comes to lifts. From what I understand just need to get there Rebel kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ma25624

Reaction score
Hey man I’m in the market for either a BDS 4” or 6” lift kit. Would really appreciate if you could post some pics up of your truck as it sits now to help me decide. I have a 21’ Built to serve that comes with a 1” ride height increase already which kinda complicates things when it comes to lifts. From what I understand just need to get there Rebel kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sorry I missed your message. Did you already go with a lift?

Users who are viewing this thread