5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Ram 1500 Potential Purchase, Questions Galore.....Please Help

RRRAAAAMMMM2020

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am contemplating purchasing a 2021 Ram 1500 with the EcoDiesel.

I have read through a big chunk of the forums and would appreciate any thoughts you can provide

In Canada, the only trims available with the EcoDiesel are Rebel and above (Laramie, Longhorn, Limited). Does anyone have information as to whether the EcoDiesel will be available in lower trim levels (Sport and Big Horn)? I prefer the Monochromatic look and hate chrome. We get lots of snow where I live in Canada and Auto 4x4 is a must have. For 2021 Rebels now have an option for the Electric On Demand Transfer Case, so that makes the decision easier. For 2020 the Rebel was the only model without Auto 4x4. I drive about 20,000km/year and diesel is typically cheaper here by 10%.

My current truck is a 2018 Ford F150 Fully Loaded XLT with the 3.5L EcoBoost V6. Overall, it has been a good truck with little to no issues however it is missing some key features (360 camera, leather, updated interior, push button start, etc). Ram is appealing to me due to the increased fuel mileage from V6 Diesel, top of line interior and box storage options (RamBox and Mutli Function Tailgate). I have never had a diesel, hence all of the questions and trying to make the right decision (I have test drove a 2020 Ram Rebel Diesel)

With my budget, Laramie is a stretch and the Rebel is more realistic. Adding 4x4 and Crew Cab results in the Laramie being at least 6k more expensive, and to fit out the trucks similarly with options the cost in the laramie is another 6k over and above the Rebel resulting in an additional 12k.

For those that have the new EcoDiesel V6, if you were to purchase a new truck again today would you buy that engine again?
For those with the the EcoDiesel in cold climates, how has the engine held up? How long does it take to start blowing hot air?
Was this your 1st Diesel truck, how do you like it? What is your use case and would you switch back to gas given the chance?

If I can provide any additional information please let me know.

I look forward to all of your comments and feedback on my situation

neddles

Reaction score
Im in a similar situation in that I am considering the Ecodiesel. I'll be watching as I have many of the same questions. One additional question I have is... What does the reliability look like now that they have been on the road for about one year? Any systemic problems?

Good luck with your purchase.

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score

I'll give this thread a little bump back to the top for you, but cannot really comment since I do not own an EcoD.

I know you already did some reading. If I were you, I'd also visit other forums as well, looking at both 4th gen and 5th gen diesel sections. Although not the same, the engines are pretty close.

Mchurch52

Reaction score
I've owned my EcoD since last December and now have a little over 11,000 miles on it. Mine has been trouble free and I really love the engine. It is my first diesel so I was a little leery, especially after some of the problems with the previous generation EcoD, but it has been great so far. I really like that it makes peak torque (480 ft lbs) at only 1600 RPM, it pulls hard off the line and gets our travel trailer moving and up to speed much easier and quicker than the 2500 6.4 Hemi and F150 5.0 I had previously. It is not a hot rod like the Hemi, so if going fast with quick acceleration is what you are after then the EcoD is probably not the best choice. Don't get me wrong, it gets up and goes great off the line (especially with the 3.92 rear end), but doesn't have that kick in the pants when you floor it on the highway like the Hemi. It really is best suited for towing moderate loads or racking up highway miles. I drive about 20 miles each way to work, about 60% highway and the rest in town, and average 24-25 MPG. Straight highway mileage is 27-29 MPG depending on hills and headwind. It tows our 6500 lb travel trailer very comfortably and it is nice not hearing the screaming gas engine when downshifting on hills.

I live in the South so can't comment on cold weather operation, but there is a thread going on right now in the EcoD section discussing this very topic.

Would I buy it again? Hell yeah, it is smooth, quiet, powerful, gets great mileage and tows very well. You'll hear about increased maintenance costs, but you can get 4 oil changes through MOPAR for $400, so it isn't that much worse than a gasser. I will say if you want it as a grocery getter to make short trips around town, then this engine is not a good choice. Modern diesel emissions need the engine to be up at full operating temp now and then to burn off excess soot, short trips make it tough to do this.

I will also add that my Laramie EcoD is a much nicer truck than my 2017 F150 XLT. The ride is nicer, the truck feels more refined and there is no comparison when it comes to the RAM's interior. The Ford's interior was cheap hard plastic and I hated it.

Hope this answers some of your questions.

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've owned my EcoD since last December and now have a little over 11,000 miles on it. Mine has been trouble free and I really love the engine. It is my first diesel so I was a little leery, especially after some of the problems with the previous generation EcoD, but it has been great so far. I really like that it makes peak torque (480 ft lbs) at only 1600 RPM, it pulls hard off the line and gets our travel trailer moving and up to speed much easier and quicker than the 2500 6.4 Hemi and F150 5.0 I had previously. It is not a hot rod like the Hemi, so if going fast with quick acceleration is what you are after then the EcoD is probably not the best choice. Don't get me wrong, it gets up and goes great off the line (especially with the 3.92 rear end), but doesn't have that kick in the pants when you floor it on the highway like the Hemi. It really is best suited for towing moderate loads or racking up highway miles. I drive about 20 miles each way to work, about 60% highway and the rest in town, and average 24-25 MPG. Straight highway mileage is 27-29 MPG depending on hills and headwind. It tows our 6500 lb travel trailer very comfortably and it is nice not hearing the screaming gas engine when downshifting on hills.

I live in the South so can't comment on cold weather operation, but there is a thread going on right now in the EcoD section discussing this very topic.

Would I buy it again? Hell yeah, it is smooth, quiet, powerful, gets great mileage and tows very well. You'll hear about increased maintenance costs, but you can get 4 oil changes through MOPAR for $400, so it isn't that much worse than a gasser. I will say if you want it as a grocery getter to make short trips around town, then this engine is not a good choice. Modern diesel emissions need the engine to be up at full operating temp now and then to burn off excess soot, short trips make it tough to do this.

I will also add that my Laramie EcoD is a much nicer truck than my 2017 F150 XLT. The ride is nicer, the truck feels more refined and there is no comparison when it comes to the RAM's interior. The Ford's interior was cheap hard plastic and I hated it.

really couldn’t have put it any better. This is also my first diesel and I was/am leery because of the known issues of the previous generation ecodiesel. I’ve only had mine for 2 months and traded in a 2019 with the hemi so I am very familiar with the direct comparison. Ultimately I made the switch because I drive 80 miles a day round trip and pull an RV fish house with it quite a few times a year. I have just under 4K miles on mine and am very happy so far. The cold climate should not be an issue from what I’ve learned. Check out the ecodiesel forum for more details on that. The power train warranty on the ecodiesel is 5 year 100,000 miles. The hemi warranty is 5 year 60,000 miles so they must have some confidence in them

bs79me

Reaction score

I have read through a big chunk of the forums and would appreciate any thoughts you can provide

In Canada, the only trims available with the EcoDiesel are Rebel and above (Laramie, Longhorn, Limited). Does anyone have information as to whether the EcoDiesel will be available in lower trim levels (Sport and Big Horn)? I prefer the Monochromatic look and hate chrome. We get lots of snow where I live in Canada and Auto 4x4 is a must have. For 2021 Rebels now have an option for the Electric On Demand Transfer Case, so that makes the decision easier. For 2020 the Rebel was the only model without Auto 4x4. I drive about 20,000km/year and diesel is typically cheaper here by 10%.

My current truck is a 2018 Ford F150 Fully Loaded XLT with the 3.5L EcoBoost V6. Overall, it has been a good truck with little to no issues however it is missing some key features (360 camera, leather, updated interior, push button start, etc). Ram is appealing to me due to the increased fuel mileage from V6 Diesel, top of line interior and box storage options (RamBox and Mutli Function Tailgate). I have never had a diesel, hence all of the questions and trying to make the right decision (I have test drove a 2020 Ram Rebel Diesel)

With my budget, Laramie is a stretch and the Rebel is more realistic. Adding 4x4 and Crew Cab results in the Laramie being at least 6k more expensive, and to fit out the trucks similarly with options the cost in the laramie is another 6k over and above the Rebel resulting in an additional 12k.

For those that have the new EcoDiesel V6, if you were to purchase a new truck again today would you buy that engine again?
For those with the the EcoDiesel in cold climates, how has the engine held up? How long does it take to start blowing hot air?
Was this your 1st Diesel truck, how do you like it? What is your use case and would you switch back to gas given the chance?

If I can provide any additional information please let me know.

I look forward to all of your comments and feedback on my situation

I purchased a 2020 Laramie with the EcoDiesel with a Level 2 option package and all blacked out almost a year ago. I have almost 15K miles on it now. I do a lot of different driving from hauling a small tractor/backhoe down the highway to grocery shopping around the corner. With my blended driving types I get around 25 MPG consistently. If I’m able to drive 50-60 MPH for any distance I can get almost 30 MPG. It would probably be slightly better with 3.21’s but I have the 3.92’s in it. I live in Maine so we have some pretty extreme weather in the winter at times and last winter I had zero issues due to the cold. The only issues I had were a decrease in mileage and dealing with snow and slush buildup on the running boards. This truck has the power running boards and I have to make sure to take extra care to keep them properly cleared as these power boards are very unforgiving to my shins in the summer. I cannot fathom what would happen if they were frozen solid in the winter. But I bet something would give that would cost a lot to repair.

I’ve had 3 other Rams - 2011, 2016 and 2017 all Hemi’s with 3.21 and 3.92 gears. And I have to say if you are looking for something to be quick off the line at a stop light to mess with the person beside you, you may want to stick to the Hemi. If you want mileage and torque at low RPMs this is a good choice. Someone else mentioned the cost of the oil changes being 4/$400. I purchased this package and added rotations to it and it cost me an extra $40. But the one thing I have not dealt with yet is changing of the fuel filter. I was quoted $175 by my dealer for the filter change. That seems steep and is one of the reasons that I just joined this forum as I wanted to find out more about that. Some people have said they have over 100K on the original filters. Some say they change them at every oil change. But that is another cost to consider as well. I’ve also found that I am using about 1 gallon DEF fluid every 1k miles. Depending on where I buy it that is an extra $4-$5 in cost per 1K miles.

All in all this being my 4th Ram I truly do like this truck and the EcoDiesel. Yes there was a lot of extra upfront cost and maintenance costs but if you are buying the diesel to use it then you may find it’s worth it. I personally keep my radio low so when I’m on an incline I can listen to the turbo spool up as I go up the hill. For me if I were to do it again - if the two trucks were equal other than the motor and I could save a few grand buying the Hemi then I’d probably buy the Hemi. But I’d never owned a diesel and wanted to try one. And it was the first 2020 EcoDiesel in Maine and I happened to watch it drive off the truck at my local dealer. I decided when I saw it to trade in my 2017 lease that my son was driving, hand him the keys to my 2016 Laramie and drive this bad boy home! B1ECA076-A56A-4222-952A-B26980151F84.jpeg B1ECA076-A56A-4222-952A-B26980151F84.jpeg

RRRAAAAMMMM2020

Reaction score
That's a beautiful truck (however I will never do black again haha). Thanks for your input. How do you find the suede upkeep on the leather?

I purchased a 2020 Laramie with the EcoDiesel with a Level 2 option package and all blacked out almost a year ago. I have almost 15K miles on it now. I do a lot of different driving from hauling a small tractor/backhoe down the highway to grocery shopping around the corner. With my blended driving types I get around 25 MPG consistently. If I’m able to drive 50-60 MPH for any distance I can get almost 30 MPG. It would probably be slightly better with 3.21’s but I have the 3.92’s in it. I live in Maine so we have some pretty extreme weather in the winter at times and last winter I had zero issues due to the cold. The only issues I had were a decrease in mileage and dealing with snow and slush buildup on the running boards. This truck has the power running boards and I have to make sure to take extra care to keep them properly cleared as these power boards are very unforgiving to my shins in the summer. I cannot fathom what would happen if they were frozen solid in the winter. But I bet something would give that would cost a lot to repair.

I’ve had 3 other Rams - 2011, 2016 and 2017 all Hemi’s with 3.21 and 3.92 gears. And I have to say if you are looking for something to be quick off the line at a stop light to mess with the person beside you, you may want to stick to the Hemi. If you want mileage and torque at low RPMs this is a good choice. Someone else mentioned the cost of the oil changes being 4/$400. I purchased this package and added rotations to it and it cost me an extra $40. But the one thing I have not dealt with yet is changing of the fuel filter. I was quoted $175 by my dealer for the filter change. That seems steep and is one of the reasons that I just joined this forum as I wanted to find out more about that. Some people have said they have over 100K on the original filters. Some say they change them at every oil change. But that is another cost to consider as well. I’ve also found that I am using about 1 gallon DEF fluid every 1k miles. Depending on where I buy it that is an extra $4-$5 in cost per 1K miles.

All in all this being my 4th Ram I truly do like this truck and the EcoDiesel. Yes there was a lot of extra upfront cost and maintenance costs but if you are buying the diesel to use it then you may find it’s worth it. I personally keep my radio low so when I’m on an incline I can listen to the turbo spool up as I go up the hill. For me if I were to do it again - if the two trucks were equal other than the motor and I could save a few grand buying the Hemi then I’d probably buy the Hemi. But I’d never owned a diesel and wanted to try one. And it was the first 2020 EcoDiesel in Maine and I happened to watch it drive off the truck at my local dealer. I decided when I saw it to trade in my 2017 lease that my son was driving, hand him the keys to my 2016 Laramie and drive this bad boy home! View attachment 71260 View attachment 71260

RRRAAAAMMMM2020

Reaction score
Thanks for your thoughts and input.

really couldn’t have put it any better. This is also my first diesel and I was/am leery because of the known issues of the previous generation ecodiesel. I’ve only had mine for 2 months and traded in a 2019 with the hemi so I am very familiar with the direct comparison. Ultimately I made the switch because I drive 80 miles a day round trip and pull an RV fish house with it quite a few times a year. I have just under 4K miles on mine and am very happy so far. The cold climate should not be an issue from what I’ve learned. Check out the ecodiesel forum for more details on that. The power train warranty on the ecodiesel is 5 year 100,000 miles. The hemi warranty is 5 year 60,000 miles so they must have some confidence in them

RRRAAAAMMMM2020

Reaction score
Thanks for your detailed information. I was initially concerned about maintenance costs but have no problem doing the DIY route for oil changes and finding some cost effective options that don't break the bank.

My anticipated use will be a mix of city, highway and in between + long trips to the lake and vacations

vegaskeith

Reaction score
I love my Limited, if you can swing it, go for it. When I unhitched my trailer today I noticed the truck dropped 2 inches, all air bags!

RRRAAAAMMMM2020

Reaction score
The limited is awesome for sure, however after taxes here in Canada it's like 100k. The only incentives right now are 0% (that doesn't help much when Ram's are overpriced to begin with). I might have to wait till mid year next year to find a 2020 blowout (need 30%) and a lower finance rate to make it work. A comparably equipped F150 (lariat vs Laramie) is like 15k less

I love my Limited, if you can swing it, go for it. When I unhitched my trailer today I noticed the truck dropped 2 inches, all air bags!

nburd

Reaction score
That's a beautiful truck (however I will never do black again haha). Thanks for your input. How do you find the suede upkeep on the leather?
I have ridden in this truck a few times. The suede looks and feels great. It’s petty maintenance free I think as well. Riding in this truck is what made me buy one too, although a much less expensive Hemi Bighorn.

RRRAAAAMMMM2020

Reaction score
I would totally by the Big Horn or CDN Sport Edition if it had the EcoDiesel. So far, no update for 2021 whether that powertrain will be available for those models in Canada

I have ridden in this truck a few times. The suede looks and feels great. It’s petty maintenance free I think as well. Riding in this truck is what made me buy one too, although a much less expensive Hemi Bighorn.

Dharris101

Reaction score
BUMP. Anyone have additional thoughts especially from those in Canada
Wondering same, I have a 2019 ecodiesel that packed it in just under 40,000 km, been fighting with warranty for last month and half. Was an awesome truck until the day bearings went. Wondering if the 2021 corrected the bearing problem. It appears that mine is in the %20 that fail.
I really liked the ecodiesel...

Dragonmaster13

Reaction score
BUMP. Anyone have additional thoughts especially from those in Canada
I've had multiple discussions with an acquaintance of mine, see him at the rink all the time, who is a general manager of a local Ram dealer. He has said their is interest in the EcoD in Canada in lower trim level, including from me, but FCA has said they will not bring it in as the demand for diesel over all is very low in Canada with about 1 in 50 trucks sold being diesel in the volume dealers, mostly to smaller fleet owners, and 1 in 150 in the smaller dealerships. FCA has even dropped the former text on the lower trim levels that was present in 2020 on their website that said "late availability" for the EcoD on Tradesman, Big Horn and Sport, now it says N/A.

With the new USMCTA it is possible to import a lower trim level, but the Big Horn with ORG ends up being about $75k, plus you have to do a few things to allow it to be registered (out of country inspection and updates on a few parts) to make it legal in Canada. I checked with a few importers in Calgary for pricing. At the end of it, it's cheaper to buy a Laramie EcoD at about $75k with current discounts and offers.

I was dead set on the EcoD, after I test drive a Rebel with it, and was holding out for a Big Horn in 2020 so I could get over 1500lbs of payload. Alas it will not happen and I've been beating up a local dealer on a rebel for a few months; they can't sell it, I want to buy it, but not at the price they are offering, waiting another month or so when the 2020's really drop the bottom. I had them down to within a couple thousand of where I wanted to buy, almost 20% off the sticker, and they wouldn't approve my final offer so I walked. They call me weekly trying to get me to buy it :), which means they'll cave shortly as the incentives get bigger and I'll tell them they could have saved carrying costs/made more money when taking my original offer when I go buy it for less than my original offer. For the record, the rebel with the option I wanted is just over $83k, I offered $65k, they countered at lowest $69900, it's currently dropped to $71, when I go back in in a month or so I'll probably take it home for $62-63 as the hemi's are going off lots around here for just under $60k with the same options less diesel right now.

Sandevino

Reaction score
I bought a 2021 EcoD in Big Horn trim over the weekend and took advantage of Chrysler's 0% financing. This is the same dealer I was working with for months to get their price down and they eventually caved.

Users who are viewing this thread